Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

You mean the imaginary metro area you are trying to invent because you ate shit trying to cite the Portland MSA population count because you had no idea what it actually was?

And yet it's not. Check census data. I was quoting the population within the city limits coinciding with the spending figure I referenced. You're the jackass attempting to apply a municipal budgetary expenditure to a sprawling MSA because you didn't like what the statistics indicated.

I don't care where you live. You invoked a specific population figure:

That population figure incontrovertibly describes the Portland MSA:

Yet, even after you were enlightened to this, you attempted to dismiss the cities and overall area included in that MSA when you explicitly invoked the MSA by virtue of the population figure you cited:

They're right there in the goddamn Wiki.

Spare me these pitiful appeals to exert authority by virtue of living in Portland. Some dumbass in New York City could swear to the rest of us it's a poor city, it wouldn't make him right. In fact, it only makes your ignorance more embarrassing. And spare me the whining about "word salad". It doesn't matter how you verbally chop this. You chose to munch down on chicken shit, nothing's going to make it chicken salad.
Me: “hey mick, a college town 80 miles south of here isn’t part of our metro area”

Mick: “BuT wIkIpEdIa SaYS” (but with 200 words)

Sure thing bud. You got me.

me and limbo Pete are gonna jump the 72 Bus and ride it to go watch the beavers play in Deep South, south. South, south east Portland.

And since you brought up New York, imagine telling a New Yorker that Philly is part of their metro area because Wikipedia says so

Me: “hey mick, a college town 80 miles south of here isn’t part of our metro area”

Mick: “BuT wIkIpEdIa SaYS” (but with 200 words)

Sure thing bud. You got me.

me and limbo Pete are gonna jump the 72 Bus and ride it to go watch the beavers play in Deep South, south. South, south east Portland.

And since you brought up New York, imagine telling a New Yorker that Philly is part of their metro area because Wikipedia says so
You quoted the exact population for the Portland MSA that includes a city 80 miles to the south of you. Then you quoted a population for an imaginary MA. Maybe if you'd quoted the population figure for the metro definition you're now pretending to know so much about, while you obviously had no fucking clue what it's population total actually was, I wouldn't be scorching you for it.

But, hey, I'm just a guy who isn't so much of a spectacular dumbass that I don't know how many people actually live in my town of residence. It's a lot to ask, I can tell.

You quoted the exact population for the Portland MSA that includes a city 80 miles to the south of you. Then you quoted a population for an imaginary MA. Maybe if you'd quoted the population figure for the metro definition you're now pretending to know so much about, while you obviously had no fucking clue what it's population total actually was, I wouldn't be scorching you for it.

But, hey, I'm just a guy who isn't so much of a spectacular dumbass that I don't know how many people actually live in my town of residence. It's a lot to ask, I can tell.
You're not as, eh, scorching as you think you are, Mick lol

I'm just a guy who isn't so much of a spectacular dumbass
Don’t sell yourself short man! You shouldn’t doubt yourself like that, that’s not being fair to your own accomplishments and potential- You absolutely ARE a spectacular dumbass! don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise, and try to keep your inner dialogue from doubting what you know to be true deep down in your heart of hearts. You are a spectacular dumbass but you’ve still got plenty of room to grow. You’ve got the gumption, the grit and determination to become an even bigger dumbass. Remember it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

And since we’re talking about your home city/town, let’s do a thought experiment-
1. look at a map of your home city or town.
2. Then find another city or town 80 miles away.
3. and ask yourself this: “would this be considered part of my metro area?”

If you need more supporting data, pick any major city then find another city/town 80 miles away and ask yourself the same question.

If maps are too hard then get in your car and drive 80 miles in one direction away from MICKSTOWN. Get out and ask someone, “excluse me, what part of MICKSTOWN pr suburb or MICKSTOWN is this?

Don’t sell yourself short man! You shouldn’t doubt yourself like that, that’s not being fair to your own accomplishments and potential- You absolutely ARE a spectacular dumbass! don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise, and try to keep your inner dialogue from doubting what you know to be true deep down in your heart of hearts. You are a spectacular dumbass but you’ve still got plenty of room to grow. You’ve got the gumption, the grit and determination to become an even bigger dumbass. Remember it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

And since we’re talking about your home city/town, let’s do a thought experiment-
1. look at a map of your home city or town.
2. Then find another city or town 80 miles away.
3. and ask yourself this: “would this be considered part of my metro area?”

If you need more supporting data, pick any major city then find another city/town 80 miles away and ask yourself the same question.

If maps are too hard then get in your car and drive 80 miles in one direction away from MICKSTOWN. Get out and ask someone, “excluse me, what part of MICKSTOWN pr suburb or MICKSTOWN is this?
Says the guy who listed the population for a metro statistical area that does, in fact, include a city across the distance he's complaining about:
2.5 million people in the Portland metro area.
This is not my definition, btw, nor is it something Wikipedia dreamed up. These are defined by the US federal government.

You then backpedaled to say this was 2m people, which was also wrong, before now attempting to defend your ignorance based on the metro area of a regional government. This area also includes 23 municipalities (many of the most populous in the state) with their own budgets and own homeless populations as I originally pointed out. In fact, LOL, if either of you nitwits read the Wiki you tried linking to save face, know what you might have learned? It falls under the jurisdiction of the MSA you mistakenly referenced in the first place. Chiefly, it acts as the state body governing the Oregon side of most of this greater MSA.

Know what else? This subsumed metro still spans an area that stretches roughly 60 miles across through multiple counties, LOL. Clearly you still have no clue what the hell you're trying to talk about.
figure-it-out.gif

Says the guy who listed the population for a metro statistical area that does, in fact, include a city across the distance he's complaining about:

This is not my definition, btw, nor is it something Wikipedia dreamed up. These are defined by the US federal government.

You then backpedaled to say this was 2m people, which was also wrong, before now attempting to defend your ignorance based on the metro area of a regional government. This area also includes 23 municipalities (many of the most populous in the state) with their own budgets and own homeless populations as I originally pointed out. In fact, LOL, if either of you nitwits read the Wiki you tried linking to save face, know what you might have learned? It falls under the jurisdiction of the MSA you mistakenly referenced in the first place. Chiefly, it acts as the state body governing the Oregon side of most of this greater MSA.

Know what else? This subsumed metro still spans an area that stretches roughly 60 miles across through multiple counties, LOL. Clearly you still have no clue what the hell you're trying to talk about.
figure-it-out.gif
See? This is what I’m talking about. This was a spectacular post. If you ever doubt yourself you can come back and read this post.

See? This is what I’m talking about. This was a spectacular post. If you ever doubt yourself you can come back and read this post.
Concession accepted. That makes two.

So much empathy in this thread. Some of you would make scary politicians.
The empathy batteries of people who have to regularly deal with the homeless scourge are running low. Come a certain point, most folks just want the problem dealt with, humanitarian concerns be damned.

The empathy batteries of people who have to regularly deal with the homeless scourge are running low. Come a certain point, most folks just want the problem dealt with, humanitarian concerns be damned.

So you want homeless people murdered?

The Mick equivalent of closing your eyes and stamping your feet lol
Or simply rubbing it in. I do love to gloat. Cliffs for those who don't want to waste their time going through it all:
Know what has happened? Their homeless population skyrocketed, anyway. Indeed, Portland, a city of just 650K, spent over $1.7bn on supporting housing programs alone from 2015-2023, and yet their homeless population increased 65%.
2.5 million people in the Portland metro area.
Sure. If we quoted the total homeless for the MSA the number would change, also.
Sure, but not by 4x. People live in the burbs and city, homeless congregate primarily in the city.
Yes, but the budget figures I quoted aren't for the MSA, either. You're introducing an orange to an apple.
  1. The population of Portland is 650K (this is a fact).
  2. The population of the Portland MSA that includes a city 80 miles away he's retroactively mocking is part of the Portland metro statistical area is 2.5m. That's the exact population figure he quoted. This is the metro area he invoked, not me. He's mocking himself.
  3. 4x 650K = 2.6m. So clearly his original comment was intended for that specific context-- that specific area.

There's no wiggling out of this.
R.2cd38b05ae5887236f3dbe47b207e643

Or simply rubbing it in. I do love to gloat. Cliffs for those who don't want to waste their time going through it all:

1. The population of Portland is 650K (this is a fact).
  2. The population of the Portland MSA that includes a city 80 miles away he's retroactively mocking is part of the Portland metro statistical area is 2.5m. That's the exact population figure he quoted. This is the metro area he invoked, not me. He's mocking himself.
  3. 4x 650K = 2.6m. So clearly his original comment was intended for that specific context-- that specific area.

There's no wiggling out of this.
R.2cd38b05ae5887236f3dbe47b207e643
It's not wiggling, Mick, you just don't know what you're talking about lol. Again, Metro Portland provides funding for homeless services for the entire Metro regulatory area

Where else are homeless people supposed to sleep?
This is a perfect example of leftist thinking. Right up there with "who is going to clean your toilet" when discussing illegal immigration.

It's not wiggling, Mick, you just don't know what you're talking about lol. Again, Metro Portland provides funding for homeless services for the entire Metro regulatory area
Dudes really on one. He’s one of those posters/mods that really need sherdog, ya know?
The figure I quoted was for the PHB which is drawn from the City of Portland, not a pooled fund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back