Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

Nope. Never said they did.

But if you closes parks at night, now you have a charge you can use to get them off the street.

Which is what this is all about. Getting violent criminals off the street where they can't hurt innocent people or steal/damage property.

Wher are you getting them too? These are all fines. The reason there is no homeless shelter is that the town can’t afford one. Do you think the town can afford to keep all these people in jail which is even more expensive.

Aren't most homeless just fucked in the head though?

Affordable housing would probably do shit to save Fried Brain Mike whose grey matter can't function properly due to drug abuse.

Mentally ill people not having permanent residence and access to food and water makes their mental illnesses worse. Giving them a place where they can be and establish a routine does WONDERS for their mental health. Not sure if you've ever seen the movie "The Soloist" but IRS the story of one guy who was a musical genius who happened to develop paranoid schizophrenia while at Juliard. A newspaper reporter heard his music and was moved to try to get him housed and did. It was rough at first:

They said he wouldn't come around the apartment for like a month or two, but he was in the area on foot and eventually started going by it, then eventually unpacked his shopping cart full of crap into it. It became part of his routine. This is the real guy:

Yes. But it doesn't change that we can't have humans just homeless in the streets. It's going to cost billions to put a dent in homelessness. You would need to build mental facilities for those people . The government knows this, theirs not a return financially for them ,so they don't want to do anything.

The return is savings on costs to municipalities for every other stupid way we deal with the homeless. Paying Cops to bully them around, paying for cleanup, paying Cops to eventually arrest them, paying at the ground level for medical care (instead of systemically), paying to process them in court and all the administrative work of fining them, and then paying to house them anyway in jails and prisons.

Mentally ill people not having permanent residence and access to food and water makes their mental illnesses worse. Giving them a place where they can be and establish a routine does WONDERS for their mental health. Not sure if you've ever seen the movie "The Soloist" but IRS the story of one guy who was a musical genius who happened to develop paranoid schizophrenia while at Juliard. A newspaper reporter heard his music and was moved to try to get him housed and did. It was rough at first:

They said he wouldn't come around the apartment for like a month or two, but he was in the area on foot and eventually started going by it, then eventually unpacked his shopping cart full of crap into it. It became part of his routine. This is the real guy:

Dunno man, knowing the junkies where i live if you give them housing they would probably strip it from wiring and plumbing in order to sell it for scrap to get more drugs.

I think there ought to bring back asylums of some sort.

The return is savings on costs to municipalities for every other stupid way we deal with the homeless. Paying Cops to bully them around, paying for cleanup, paying Cops to eventually arrest them, paying at the ground level for medical care (instead of systemically), paying to process them in court and all the administrative work of fining them, and then paying to house them anyway in jails and prisons.

Ya, they have it @ss backwards.

Dunno man, knowing the junkies where i live if you give them housing they would probably strip it from wiring and plumbing in order to sell it for scrap to get more drugs.

I think there ought to bring back asylums of some sort.

I definitely agree that people on drugs would destroy any form of housing, especially if their alone. You would need huge open layout with beds and actually have security 24/7 walking the facility. No one said it's going to be easy, it's not.

I definitely agree that people on drugs would destroy any form of housing, especially if their alone. You would need huge open layout with beds and actually have security 24/7 walking the facility. No one said it's going to be easy, it's not.

I think people are afraid to come to term that asylums weren't entirely bad not all mental diseases can be treated with full consent of the person in question.

I think people are afraid to come to term that asylums weren't entirely bad not all mental diseases can be treated with full consent of the person in question.

Agree, I think the problem back then that their may have been a lot of abuse towards the mentally ill, physically,mentally and sexually.

However, with much better technology we can protect them much more from that kind of trauma.

Agree, I think the problem back then that their may have been a lot of abuse towards the mentally ill, physically,mentally and sexually.
Yes, there was a shitload of abuse of the mentally ill back in the day and people didn't understood mental diseases pretty well, but we do now.

However, with much better technology we can protect them much more from that kind of trauma.
Indeed, and its not like there is no abuse right now.

The big kid in Florida who mauled that teacher like a bear is going to be sent to prison, so he will still be locked up, but instead of being locked up in an asylum where he would be guarded by healthcare professionals he is going to be jailed into a State prison.

Yes, there was a shitload of abuse of the mentally ill back in the day and people didn't understood mental diseases pretty well, but we do now.

Indeed, and its not like there is no abuse right now.

The big kid in Florida who mauled that teacher like a bear is going to be sent to prison, so he will still be locked up, but instead of being locked up in an asylum where he would be guarded by healthcare professionals he is going to be jailed into a State prison.

There's still abuse but with cameras everywhere it's much more easier to catch individuals mistreating people. But ya, I think we need more mental facilities.

You're using your imagination to picture a dick forcibly going into someone's throat against their will? Someone needs to get you in the freedom caucus.
giphy.gif

Yes but , with the number of homeless continuing to go up, that law means nothing. Most officers don't even enforce it because of the mass numbers.

I don't buy that excuse. The law isn't enforced because of pressure to not enforce it from leftists who think they're helping people by allowing them remain homeless. Not to mention the defunding of the police--Seattle, for example, has HALF the police it should have just to be an "average" city in terms of police presence.

Prison populations are down in my state by 25% over the last decade, so there's space. And yes, the courts are slammed, but only because of repeat offenders due to lack of consequences.

We need a massive concentration camp just for homeless people. It would be a solution that helps them get back to becoming a normal functioning member of society.

No fines, no criminal records since that would only prevent them from changing for the better.

It would take tax paying money, but our streets would be clean as fuck. It’s also more humanitarian than just leaving them on the streets.
Agreed. Treat it like a sanitation/garbage issue. Collect them off the street and pile them them in designated treatment area.

I don't buy that excuse. The law isn't enforced because of pressure to not enforce it from leftists who think they're helping people by allowing them remain homeless. Not to mention the defunding of the police--Seattle, for example, has HALF the police it should have just to be an "average" city in terms of police presence.

Prison populations are down in my state by 25% over the last decade, so there's space. And yes, the courts are slammed, but only because of repeat offenders due to lack of consequences.

So send Homeless people to prison? You can't be serious. They need mental help, prison is the worst thing you can do to them.

So send Homeless people to prison? You can't be serious. They need mental help, prison is the worst thing you can do to them.
If given the option to institutionalize these people, what would your opinion be?

If given the option to institutionalize these people, what would your opinion be?
I already went of a few solutions in thread, or agreed with others solutions.

The idea of sending people to prison just for the bare fact of being homeless is... a special kind of cruel. Our mental health system as-is can't possibly accommodate all the need in that regard, our prison systems are often super full, local jails included, and now we're going to start pushing people that way automatically just because they are at the bottom of the barrel? It makes no functional sense, although if you're someone that enjoys the idea of kicking people while they are down, then I suppose there's a certain satisfaction in making the miserable even more miserable.

The idea of sending people to prison just for the bare fact of being homeless is... a special kind of cruel. Our mental health system as-is can't possibly accommodate all the need in that regard, our prison systems are often super full, local jails included, and now we're going to start pushing people that way automatically just because they are at the bottom of the barrel? It makes no functional sense, although if you're someone that enjoys the idea of kicking people while they are down, then I suppose there's a certain satisfaction in making the miserable even more miserable.

Agree, I can't understand why people would think that's ok.

Back