Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

Umm.....so if they can't pay and have nowhere to stay, what exactly are they supposed to do?
Nothing, fuck 'em and fuck everyone else too. Ignore the issue, ignore the public health and safety. Let honest tax paying citizens find a way to just deal with it and throw money at the crazy and homeless once in a while to act magnanimous to everyone. Seems like thats what we want.

Disclaimer: I would never make light of your having gone homeless or minimize your struggle.
It’s the war room, no shame in going after stuff like this haha. Out of the “cannot, have not, will not” Ven diagram I was firmly a “will not”. A hitch hiking gutter punk.
But do these places exist in this particular town to which your claim of 90% declining shelter was applied?
I was referring to portland.

I used to work a couple blocks from Skid Row in LA. Up to you if you think I fully grasp the severity of homelessness or not.
The P2P meth epidemic has changed the topography of homelessness incredibly.

Yes, and the vast majority of homeless also have 10 toes, but you wouldn't argue that having 10 toes causes homelessness, would you? You can run a statistical analysis, you'll find next to no correlation between drug use rates (or ODs) and homeless rates. Or to put it in layman's terms, it's more likely that homeless causes people to do drugs or to relapse than it is that doing drugs causes homelessness.
This is intellectually dishonest and you have to know that. People who become addicted lose their jobs. They lose their money. They lose their support system. I read plenty of studies that went either way in the drugs/homelessness cart/horse debate so I go with what logically makes sense and from my own experiences talking to homeless folks. Drugs. The majority of the severely problematic homeless folks were addicts before they lost it all.
And? That doesn't change that there isn't enough capacity for homeless even if usage was 100%.
So the city should build thousands more beds that will also remain empty?
Some combination of housing and treatment (there's obviously a gradient from the strictest form of this to looser forms of it) would lead to better outcomes and save taxpayer money compared to the status quo.

Not sure why you're trying to ascribe a worst case caricature to a homeless population that primarily does not resemble this. You're doing what a lot of folks here do, which is apply personal biases or sample bias to the entire problem. Some of the actions you've named are already crimes, some are not and should not be.
I am talking about the most problematic section of the homeless community because they are the ones making everything harder on everyday people. Your rights and where mine begin. I would like to be able to take my kid to play in the park without their being dirty needles on the playground. I don’t want these beautiful, natural, pristine natural places being absolutely destroyed by homeless encampments. The assaults and attacks, human shit on the sidewalk, people shooting ip in broad daylight, all of it should be the focus.

Like I’ve said in this thread multiple times: can nots, have nots, and will nots.

Take the cannots and get them the help they need through addiction counseling and psychiatric medication. From there they’ll move to one of the other bucketsa

Take the have nots and give them a leg up with social services. Affordable housing, job training and placement, counseling, welfare, transportation vouchers, take the might of the federal piggy bank and put it to good use.

The will nots: punish them for the crimes they commit and don’t let them make life worse for everyone else. If they aren’t fucking things up and/or making life harder or more dangerous for others then leave them be.

While I agree that loitering laws are unconstitutional, there is no "right" to housing or shelter. If someone is breaking the law they need to be held accountable. Plenty of homeless people live their lives without acting like criminals.

The morality of breaking a law depends solely on its morality.

It’s the war room, no shame in going after stuff like this haha. Out of the “cannot, have not, will not” Ven diagram I was firmly a “will not”. A hitch hiking gutter punk.

This is intellectually dishonest and you have to know that. People who become addicted lose their jobs. They lose their money. They lose their support system. I read plenty of studies that went either way in the drugs/homelessness cart/horse debate so I go with what logically makes sense and from my own experiences talking to homeless folks. Drugs. The majority of the severely problematic homeless folks were addicts before they lost it all.

I am talking about the most problematic section of the homeless community because they are the ones making everything harder on everyday people. Your rights and where mine begin. I would like to be able to take my kid to play in the park without their being dirty needles on the playground. I don’t want these beautiful, natural, pristine natural places being absolutely destroyed by homeless encampments. The assaults and attacks, human shit on the sidewalk, people shooting ip in broad daylight, all of it should be the focus.

Like I’ve said in this thread multiple times: can nots, have nots, and will nots.

Take the cannots and get them the help they need through addiction counseling and psychiatric medication. From there they’ll move to one of the other bucketsa

Take the have nots and give them a leg up with social services. Affordable housing, job training and placement, counseling, welfare, transportation vouchers, take the might of the federal piggy bank and put it to good use.

The will nots: punish them for the crimes they commit and don’t let them make life worse for everyone else. If they aren’t fucking things up and/or making life harder or more dangerous for others then leave them be.

FWIW, Houston's "Housing First" initiative (as I mentioned previously) did indeed target the worst of the worst. Normally these programs favor the newly homeless, people who program directors and officials think are the closest to having their sh*t together. This did the opposite and assessed people by their risk of dying. The closer they were to dying, the easier and quicker they got into housing, therapy and other mental health services, drug treatment, and eventual job placement.

This is partially attributed to the success of the program, which after a few years had a very high rate of people remaining off the streets.

FWIW, Houston's "Housing First" initiative (as I mentioned previously) did indeed target the worst of the worst. Normally these programs favor the newly homeless, people who program directors and officials think are the closest to having their sh*t together. This did the opposite and assessed people by their risk of dying. The closer they were to dying, the easier and quicker they got into housing, therapy and other mental health services, drug treatment, and eventual job placement.

This is partially attributed to the success of the program, which after a few years had a very high rate of people remaining off the streets.
That’s honestly gives me some hope. I’ll read more about the program

I gave up arguing with these guys. The people pretending homelessness isn't largely tied to drugs are just being dishonest to 'win' the argument. They don't actually care about the issue.

I gave up arguing with these guys. The people pretending homelessness isn't largely tied to drugs are just being dishonest to 'win' the argument. They don't actually care about the issue.
Oh, please do give up arguing far far more often, you toffee nosed vacuous twit.

If it has, we don't have any statistical evidence of this and we have statistical evidence that points to much more pressing causes of homelessness.
People who become addicted lose their jobs. They lose their money. They lose their support system.
This is true, but where this problem intersects with homelessness is that in areas with cheap housing, people can be addicts and still make rent. In areas without cheap housing, they end up homeless. Ergo, the main cause is housing prices, not drug use. And if we want to tackle homeless, we need to address the main cause, not secondary or more minor causes, first.
If we're putting the horse before the cart, yes. Building shelters isn't particularly expensive in the grand scheme of American municipalities, there isn't a real reason not to. There are many reasons shelters may not be fully utilized, with one of the most obvious being that a shelter may be across the city from a homeless person.
I don’t want these beautiful, natural, pristine natural places being absolutely destroyed by homeless encampments.
Sure, but simply banning homeless people from being in a public park is terrible policy that doesn't actual reduce homelessness. Which is what this thread is about. Once enough shelter capacity and cheap housing exists, then we can have the conversation about how to handle public parks and thoroughfares. Otherwise, you're literally just reorganizing where homeless people go, and often for the worse.
Also a capacity problem that can't be solved overnight. (I'm ok with this policy, just pointing out that the actual counselors and facilities have to exist first, and in most state it doesn't).
The people pretending homelessness isn't largely tied to drugs are just being dishonest to 'win' the argument.
I don't imagine you know what R2 is either? I'm sure Mick can give you a primer on how to not statistics.

Sure, but simply banning homeless people from being in a public park is terrible policy that doesn't actual reduce homelessness

Do you honestly think that’s what it proposing? Banning homeless people from parks? I’m trying to suss out your level of intellectual honesty when it comes to this topic.

“The ecological damage from the camping is tremendous – decades of work, millions and millions of public dollars wasted,” said Bob Sallinger, the former conservation director of Portland Audubon and now urban conservation director for the nonprofit Willamette Riverkeeper.

O6XH2PCYTVFUNFUNSYOCYCW57M.jpg

VU2RU4XE2FEQ7G5WAEJ4TMKCYM.jpg

4A34YGBDPJE23GF433SJQZJ3OE.jpg

Do you honestly think that’s what it proposing? Banning homeless people from parks? I’m trying to suss out your level of intellectual honesty when it comes to this topic.

“The ecological damage from the camping is tremendous – decades of work, millions and millions of public dollars wasted,” said Bob Sallinger, the former conservation director of Portland Audubon and now urban conservation director for the nonprofit Willamette Riverkeeper.

O6XH2PCYTVFUNFUNSYOCYCW57M.jpg

VU2RU4XE2FEQ7G5WAEJ4TMKCYM.jpg

4A34YGBDPJE23GF433SJQZJ3OE.jpg
That's literally what the ordinance was written to do: ban anyone with as little as a pillow from these public areas. You seem to misunderstand how the law defines "camping"

That's literally what the ordinance was written to do: ban anyone with as little as a pillow from these public areas. You seem to misunderstand how the law defines "camping"
Frankly, if it stops this from happening then good.

Where do you think the people punished by this law would go? And how would they pay fines?
Jail. And with a job.

image.jpg

The people responsible for shit like this should do time. They should be held responsible for the ecological damage they’ve caused.

Jail. And with a job.

image.jpg

The people responsible for shit like this should do time. They should be held responsible for the ecological damage they’ve caused.
Right...because jail, fines, and a criminal record really improves someone's employment and economic prospects. You're not proposing a measure that reduces homelessness, your idea would probably increase it to be honest.

Right...because jail, fines, and a criminal record really improves someone's employment and economic prospects. You're not proposing a measure that reduces homelessness, your idea would probably increase it to be honest.
It’s up to them. Personal responsibility and accountability. Maybe don’t be a shit goose who trashes public spaces?

Homelessness-Blog-Featured-Image_1.jpg

Ideally sure. But you're addressing the symptoms, not the actual cause. Perhaps if you take a peak at this thread, you might understand why relying on policing and institutionalization is not perfect fix.
Why not both? Why can’t we stop people from trashing our cities and natural spaces while also addressing the root causes?

You want to continue to look the other way and allow this to happen while we solve systemic poverty?

Newell-Illegal-Camping-2.jpg

Why not both? Why can’t we stop people from trashing our cities and natural spaces while also addressing the root causes?

You want to continue to look the other way and allow this to happen while we solve systemic poverty?

Newell-Illegal-Camping-2.jpg
Are you asking me why the country can't snap its fingers overnight and create thousands of trained mental health professionals, build hundreds of homeless shelters, and build hundreds of thousands of housing units instantly?

I didn't save solve systemic poverty either.

Are you asking me why the country can't snap its fingers overnight and create thousands of trained mental health professionals, build hundreds of homeless shelters, and build hundreds of thousands of housing units instantly?

I didn't save solve systemic poverty either.
That answered my intellectual honesty questions I had about you. Ty

No, I’m asking why we can’t deal with the “symptoms” as you call it while tackling the root causes at the same time.

That answered my intellectual honesty questions I had about you. Ty

No, I’m asking why we can’t deal with the “symptoms” as you call it while tackling the root causes at the same time.
We can, but building up the physical and human infrastructure to deal with homelessness takes years. Tossing people in jail and fining them for various minor civic offenses before that infrastructure is ready is counterproductive. You seem obsessed with making sure the homeless are not visible (you don't seem as concerned with increasing their chances to be employed and paying rent I'll note), without giving thought to where those people will go once you kick them out of parks with a fine or jail time.

Back