Can K1 be considered also as a style now?

Dudko

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Since K1 made big impact on kickboxing world and many orgs started to use this rules and also many gym started to train for those rules can K1 also be considered as a kickboxing style now? When you train in gym that train for K1 rules can that be called K1 style?

I think so, since it's neither kickboxing or Muay Thai but rather a blend of the two

Well its " K-1 style kickboxing. "

If someone just said they train " K-1 " it would be like saying someone who does MMA saying they " train ufc. "

Not at all ctl alt del K1 has its own rule set UFC plays by the unified rules of MMA.

K1 rules aren't the unified rules of kickboxing so ya K1 style is definitely a thing.

It's basically considered the standard for what is considered "Kickboxing" globally today, with some slight variants in rules between organizations.

Ironically "Kickboxing" in Japan is essentially Muay Thai (ex: NJKF).

The term used to specify K-1 rules is either "low kick rules" or "oriental rules." However each org has a slightly different take on the rules so its better to specify. e.g. Glory has a lot more clinching than modern K-1, but a lot less clinching than Kunlun.

Ironically "Kickboxing" in Japan is essentially Muay Thai (ex: NJKF).
Yes but I think that scoring system is like in every kickboxing match so everything is counted equal, so it is isn't same. Btw do you know rules of japanese promotion KNOCK OUT (No kick no life)? I can't find it but I'm interested.

Since K1 made big impact on kickboxing world and many orgs started to use this rules and also many gym started to train for those rules can K1 also be considered as a kickboxing style now? When you train in gym that train for K1 rules can that be called K1 style?
Calling K1 a style is like calling mma a style.

I look at a K1 as a sport with rules just like mma but look at fighters like marat and roosmalen as dutch stylists whilst fighters like superbon and sittichai muaythai stylists and so on.

Yes but I think that scoring system is like in every kickboxing match so everything is counted equal, so it is isn't same.
It's much closer to Muay Thai as Kyokushin versus Muay Thai birthed it, and they basically took the ring, gloves, round structure, rules, Mongkol, etc... from Muay Thai.

Yes but I think that scoring system is like in every kickboxing match so everything is counted equal, so it is isn't same. Btw do you know rules of japanese promotion KNOCK OUT (No kick no life)? I can't find it but I'm interested.
KNOCK OUT is full thai rules elbows n clinch they post there fights on ther fb pages

Its Japanese kickboxing i.e. full thai rules toolset but with different implicit weights in scoring.

Yes.

There are a few schools popping up, and basically dutch KB is K1

Calling K1 a style is like calling mma a style.

I look at a K1 as a sport with rules just like mma but look at fighters like marat and roosmalen as dutch stylists whilst fighters like superbon and sittichai muaythai stylists and so on.
But styles are created out of the ruleset, esp. with combat sports that heavily encourages competition. Similar to Sanda, a ruleset rather than style, but its developed differently due to it.

My main style is K-1 but I also train UFC on the side...

They use to show Oriental rules fights on ESPN it was no different then the stuff in the Netherlands or in K-1 other then it being non tournament fights K-1 is just an org. That became more like Dutch Style Kickboxing more then anything else which probably pissed off all the Kyokushin guys.

Back