Can only run for about a minute and a half - start with walking?

BellyDownArmbar

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, yeah, my cardio is total CRAP. Tried doing incline treadmill walks, but can no longer afford gym membership. So, my cardio'll have to be done on the road. I can only run for 1.5 - 2 minutes, should I start with walking?

Try a couch to 5k program. It is designed for complete beginners with horrible cardio.

I have a similar problem. I can walk all day (almost literally, I love to walk for hours on end exploring new areas) but as soon as I speed up enough to break into a jog I gas out almost as fast as if I was all out sprinting. I've tried working on it before but generally maintain a faster pace over distance by a combo of sprinting and walking than trying to maintain a slower steady pace. Anyone know if that's just my biology, my size (being 6'7" 270) or is it something I can work through?

Start with walking and then start adding short periods of jogging e.g. walk for 10 minutes, job for 1. This is basically how the Couch to 5K programs work.

LilMountain, I imagine a large part of your issue is due to your size but it's something you can work through. Doing walk/job intervals would help you too. If you never jog you will never get better at it.

You can also see if you can jog slower. Experiment with how slow you can go while still "jogging." I bet you will be able to go a little longer if you can stick to 4mph.

^If that was for me, yeah i've tried that. But for some reason as soon as I get that bounce in my step, even if i'm going slower than a power walk I start getting out of breath within just a few minutes

^If that was for me, yeah i've tried that. But for some reason as soon as I get that bounce in my step, even if i'm going slower than a power walk I start getting out of breath within just a few minutes

Im a big guy and I have no natural athletic talent. I think that you are only as strong as your weakest link.

For me, it was my calves. I was heel striking in front of my body in bad shoes and the burn in my calves and quads would appear almost immediately.

I dropped some money on running shoes that worked on my flat feet and fixed my gate so that I was landing on the ball of my foot, under my body. It took the edge off the run for me, because my legs could last longer.

How long have you been running? if you are just starting out you may have crap cardio but you are probably crap at running too. Learning how to run (proper stride, not stomping etc.) and breathing properly go a long way in getting better.

I gas out treading water at a laughable rate, it's not so much that i am in terrible shape... i'm just really shitty at treading water

Couch to 5 k is the standard answer. It's a training program that starts with a mix of running and walking and ends with you able to run a continuous 5 km.

How long have you been running? if you are just starting out you may have crap cardio but you are probably crap at running too. Learning how to run (proper stride, not stomping etc.) and breathing properly go a long way in getting better.

I gas out treading water at a laughable rate, it's not so much that i am in terrible shape... i'm just really shitty at treading water

At the height of my efforts to improve this several years ago I was working out 5 days a week in general, focusing on running at least three of those days and even working with a guy who trains people for marathons trying to improve my endurance and could still barely complete a two mile under 15 minutes or more than about 4 miles at any pace (and for both I always started feeling short of breath after only about a quarter mile)

I dont remember exactly how long I was training like this but I think it was at least six months maybe even a year before eventually getting frustrated. Haven't thought about it much since then but when I saw this thread I figured I'd ask if anyone had any special insight that might inspire me to give it another try

You were running too fast. A 7.5 minute mile is actually pretty fast by recreational runner standards. My standard training pace is closer to 9 minutes and I pass most of the people on the trail.

Running slowly enough is a struggle for a lot of people. If you can't maintain a light conversation with a running partner, slow down. If you can't slow down enough, mix walking and running and work your way up.

You were running too fast. A 7.5 minute mile is actually pretty fast by recreational runner standards. My standard training pace is closer to 9 minutes and I pass most of the people on the trail.

Running slowly enough is a struggle for a lot of people. If you can't maintain a light conversation with a running partner, slow down. If you can't slow down enough, mix walking and running and work your way up.

Sorry, 16 min actually, and a 9 minute mile was a failing pace for my (then) age group for the military, which was my goal at the time. I might try running again at a slower pace it's just always frustrated me that I could walk all day but jogging gasses me out so fast

Walk, pepper in short runs, walk in between. You should be able to repeat this for 2 or 3 miles and see some pretty quick results.

Of course, being overweight will hinder you, smoking, marshmallow diet, etc

If you plan on staying at 270lbs, even it were all muscle, then running really isn't the long duration cardio you want to be doing.

Missed the part where you are 270. Fast running is not everybody's forte. Frankly I would be worried about my knees if I were to be running at that weight. I'm 190 which makes me kind of a tank by runner's standards.

If you plan on staying at 270lbs, even it were all muscle, then running really isn't the long duration cardio you want to be doing.

It NEVER has been the one I WANT to be doing, haha. No, i'm dropping some, but at 6'7" I doubt i'll get too much lighter and i might still face one last running for time fitness test if my NYPD application ever progresses. If so I will bear everyone's input in mind thank you

im 210ish and have run a couple half's in my time (7 years ago and 15lbs lighter)

i run from beginning fall to end spring here in texas

my standard weekday run is 5.15 miles and my best time is 43 minutes - this morning's run, which was the 3rd of this running season for me, i did in 46 minutes - i plan on getting down to 40 minutes. i ran 7.089miles sunday in 1 hour and 6 minutes - as it was my 2nd run for this season, i was happy with it, but plan on getting it down to an hour.

i find that running is more mental than physical - the body can do it, its just convincing your mind that you have the endurance. same goes with jumping rope - most people burn out because its a rhythm issue, not a speed issue. i jump rope twice per week and do 32 minutes, but could go for an hour if i needed to.

People underestimate how strong one really needs to be to run well with proper form. I personally dont thinkthat running programs are good for beginners in the fitness world.

I know everybdy will jump on my ass but I think that beginners would be better served focusing on basic strength than getting on running programs.

i find that running is more mental than physical - the body can do it, its just convincing your mind that you have the endurance.
There's certainly a mental aspect to it. However, just like lifting building up running endurance takes time and progression. Also just like lifting you can hurt yourself if you try to do too much too soon. Overly ambitious training plans take out a lot of would-be runners.

FWIW I've run 2 marathons and I've lost track of how many halfs. PB for a half is 1:37.

lol. I came back to check BDAB's progress and this thread got completely hijacked.

Back