can someone explain golden gloves boxing to me?

GloryOfIran

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
HEy guys, I follow pro boxing a fair bit but I have no understanding of the american amateur system. I always hear people talk about golden gloves and I was wondering just how prestigious that is. Like if you took a 20 year old fit guy who grew up playing sports but with no boxing experience, how long would he have to train to be a golden gloves champion? How does it compare to olympic level?

HEy guys, I follow pro boxing a fair bit but I have no understanding of the american amateur system. I always hear people talk about golden gloves and I was wondering just how prestigious that is. Like if you took a 20 year old fit guy who grew up playing sports but with no boxing experience, how long would he have to train to be a golden gloves champion? How does it compare to olympic level?
National Golden gloves champion, probably ranks about 2nd to the US Championships in the US. Regional golden gloves are around the same as winning a qualifier round(since thats how you advance to Nationals). Usually an olympic team member will have national GG title, a US national title, or US Olympic Trials winner.

A great athlete, probably one good enough for D1 college sports, could probably win a regional event in a random state like South Dakota with a year or 2 of training. Wilder actually won nationals with just under 2 years I believe.

it all depends on a lot of factors, i think gil clancy said he'd usually wait a year before entering a fighter into the golden gloves BUT..,NY is the boxing Mecca with 8 -10 million people, lots of talent, lots of gyms. Gil was so impressed by emile griffith's talent that he entered him after 3 mos of training, so that tells you a little. so, golden gloves would have different quality in different region, I remember seeing a guy beat the tar out of a guy from my gym, Mylon Watkins, I don't remember if it was golden gloves or not but it put him in position to fight for the olympics where he met Mark Breland who put his lights out with one punch, it's all degrees, levels in boxing. Mylon Watkins was said to be the most talented kid ever out of the accomplished tacoma gym but you wouldn't know it watching the breland fight. So.., it's generally a lower level accomplishement for a boxer but a platform for better things if you have the talent. Hector Camacho won the NY golden gloves 2 or 3 times I think but couldn't make the olympics for some reason, he became a world champion as a pro. Breland was somewhat of a bust as a pro, mylon Watkins got shot and it ended his career. In my opinion, the guys from my gym shouldn't have even been fighting let alone the best from this region, they had no training to go off besides hit the bag, put your dominant hand back, jab with your weak hand and that was about it. I guess a real natural talent could get away with that, Pinklon Thomas (from my first gym) won a seattle GG after a little work, Joe Hipp was a local winner also.

Amatuer titles mean fuck all, moreso GG than Olympic and worlds, people have won titles in the amatuer scene and been near useless in the Pro scene, and vice-versa

Back