Can someone explain the Yan/Weiling end of the first round situation?

It's a weird situation. She definitely went out but only in the last two seconds of the round and you couldn't tell for sure because of the angle.
So the round has ended and the girl is recovering. What do you do as a ref? Call off the fight between rounds? Can you even do that if it's not a doctor stoppage or corner stoppage? I think that would have been just as controversial.

Yan is a warrior and I'm glad the ref allowed her to be one <HanaKimura01>

The rules are a little vague but essentially, you can’t win by submission after the bell.

If the fighter goes out or taps out after the bell, it’s either the ref or fighter’s decision if they want to continue. If Yan got up and fell back to the ground, the ref would call it a TKO.

Or, the fighter could say they couldn’t continue, or their corner could do the same if they don’t think she is all there. No protocols were broken.

Yan was a little wobbly but rules wise, it’s no different from being rocked at the end. As long as she got up, going out from the sub doesn’t matter.
I'm curious also what the rules are on using salts to wake up your opponent in the corner. I remember Joe Rogan kept saying a few times "Is that allowed?" (Even though they never used it on Yan)

Back