Can their be truth to this or is this completely ridiculous

Couple questions:

How old and how big is your friend?

Couple questions:

How old and how big is your friend?

21 and he is about 185 5"8". Not a big guy at all and he doesnt have any background in anything which is why I just found it so ridicolous of him saying he had beaten a black belt, But since i don't know too much about judo I had to ask.

When you see a judoka with a

patch on the back representing country, maybe legit
cauliflower ears, maybe legit
Second degree +up, legit.
having alot of medals... legit. lol

Yet again people still don't have proof of these claims.

As a Judo BB, if I see a Judo BB on the tournament scene regularly I assume he's pretty good. Rank doesn't mean a whole lot after shodan only because guys tend to care less after that. If they win those tournaments, even better. But the only guy I question is the guy who gets a BB and never competes at that level. That always bothers me, but it's pretty rare at least around where I'm from.

It's possible. When I was a new blue belt I entered a judo state championship and took first in the lower belt division. Then, I competed in the advanced division, which was brown and black belts, and lost in the finals.

The last guy was really good and beat me pretty easy. The other black and brown belts were not that good. When they got a takedown and it went to the ground I was able to choke or pin for a win. I got a couple of wrestling takedowns and was able to pin or finish on the ground. It seemed like there was a large disparity in the quality of the black and brown belts.

21 and he is about 185 5"8". Not a big guy at all and he doesnt have any background in anything which is why I just found it so ridicolous of him saying he had beaten a black belt, But since i don't know too much about judo I had to ask.

Ok, that shoots my weak HW or Masters division pool theory to hell (most probable explanation if story were true)

Only thing I can imagine was it was a small turnout (especially if they had to mix novice and advanced) and he happened to catch a guy that got his Black Belt from doing Kata and reffing (they do exist and I've seen them crushed by the Shai-promoted higher kyus).

You never know if the Shodan across from you is like the one I described above or some guy using a lower tournement for a prep for nationals.

I call this myth plausible.

I think hes telling a fib, even though it doesn't take as long to get a black belt in judo I still find the situation highly unlikely.

Ok, that shoots my weak HW or Masters division pool theory to hell (most probable explanation if story were true)

Only thing I can imagine was it was a small turnout (especially if they had to mix novice and advanced) and he happened to catch a guy that got his Black Belt from doing Kata and reffing (they do exist and I've seen them crushed by the Shai-promoted higher kyus).

You never know if the Shodan across from you is like the one I described above or some guy using a lower tournement for a prep for nationals.

I call this myth plausible.

I agree with this. Plus remember that a shodan is roughly the equivalent of a BJJ blue belt. It signifies that a player has grasped the fundamentals, but has not necessarily reached the same level of Judo that you would expect from a black belt in BJJ (the equivalent of which in Judo would be yondan or above).

ive got a mate who has a lightning fast double leg. Living in Australia, we do not train wrestling in high school so he had no prior training. He easily takes down Judo black belts in competitions by shooting before they get their grips. Their sprawls are not developed enough due to rule bullshit.

I agree with this. Plus remember that a shodan is roughly the equivalent of a BJJ blue belt. It signifies that a player has grasped the fundamentals, but has not necessarily reached the same level of Judo that you would expect from a black belt in BJJ (the equivalent of which in Judo would be yondan or above).

wat

reminded me the other day when a black belt Judo swinged by. The roll was hilarious because for the first minute i was working his way through his very tight guard with belt grip, then later he transitioned into TURTLE O-o. Naturally i just jumped right in and for the rest of the roll i was working my way to a rear naked choke. Almost had him.

But he was a really cool and technical guy though, showed me how to do a leg trip and a throw (in gi, but after a bit of practice with my brother i discovered how to get it in nogi)

The people I know who do / have done Judo tell me that, on average, it takes 3 years of training 3 days a week, plus some success in competition, to reach shodan. In BJJ, this is about the same as what you need for a blue belt.

Maybe in your area, three years is not the average for Shodan here. I'm a blue belt in BJJ and I've tapped a few Nidans but after a few rolls they caught on and adjusted their technique.

that sounds like a pretty farfetched story.

KarateFist: does he have a reason to make it up?

Probably not, but most people never have reasons to make things up. It's just what they do.

The people I know who do / have done Judo tell me that, on average, it takes 3 years of training 3 days a week, plus some success in competition, to reach shodan. In BJJ, this is about the same as what you need for a blue belt.

Depends where you from, here in Finland it takes 7-10 years to get youre black belt unless you are a very talented competitor.

reminded me the other day when a black belt Judo swinged by. The roll was hilarious because for the first minute i was working his way through his very tight guard with belt grip, then later he transitioned into TURTLE O-o. Naturally i just jumped right in and for the rest of the roll i was working my way to a rear naked choke. Almost had him.

But he was a really cool and technical guy though, showed me how to do a leg trip and a throw (in gi, but after a bit of practice with my brother i discovered how to get it in nogi)

I'm no judo expert, but when I watch competitions you always see them going into turtle straight away when they get thrown alot of the time. I think they use it alot, because in judo you only have a few seconds to tap someone out on the ground before the ref calls to stand up, so going into turtle for the person thrown is a decent defense for those few seconds.

In my experience something can only ever be truth or completely ridiculous.

There are never things that are partially true or somewhat true.

Things are only in black and white, never has there been a shade one might call 'grey'.

In my experience something can only ever be truth or completely ridiculous.

There are never things that are partially true or somewhat true.

Things are only in black and white, never has there been a shade one might call 'grey'.

Are most of the guys/gals posting here from the US because my experience with British and Korean judokas differs widely from what you guys have experienced.

When it comes to standing the browns maybe able to throw the black belts but apart from that I didn't see anyone with a lower rank throwing browns or blacks unless they were giving the other guy a chance.

I found that as a purple belt (BJJ) who isn't brilliant at takedowns can occasionally take down a relatively new brown and blackbelt by effectively cheating (double and single leg takedowns) under their rules. The older black belts were easily able to defend against double and single leg takedowns.

So to summarise. The Judo in the countries were people who are not good wrestlers are taking down/throwing black belt Judokas must suck at Judo because I can't see that happening in the UK or Korea.

I'm no judo expert, but when I watch competitions you always see them going into turtle straight away when they get thrown alot of the time. I think they use it alot, because in judo you only have a few seconds to tap someone out on the ground before the ref calls to stand up, so going into turtle for the person thrown is a decent defense for those few seconds.

It might be true. But this was a 5 minutes roll/newaza, not really a full-throttle comp judo. It babbled me why he would give up to be in such a position. But again, im more of a BJJ than a Judoka to understand while

He easily takes down Judo black belts in competitions by shooting before they get their grips. Their sprawls are not developed enough due to rule bullshit.

I'd be careful with that, the rule changes aren't that old, so there are plenty of 5+ year vets who will still make you pay when they sprawl on the shot.

That and in the US, there's plenty of ex-wrestlers who find Judo to be the logical "next step".

Back