Can top-ten headgear be used in usa boxing?

Good question. The only copy I was able to locate of the official rulebook is from 2008. Here is the text from the USA Boxing 2008 rulebook -

103.2 Wearing of approved headgear

(1) The wearing of competitive headgear is mandatory at all levels of USA
Boxing competition.

(a) Only competitive headgear made to USA
Boxing or AIBA specifications and bearing the
official USA Boxing or AIBA label or stamp, illustrated
in Figure 12.1, shall be used in contests sanctioned by
United States Amateur Boxing, Inc (to the extent that
AIBA approved headgear do not meet these specifications, they are
exempt from this rule).

(b) The use of competitive headgear with cheek protectors that do
not impair vision is permissible.

There were a few revisions made in Feb 2012 but none of the revisions mention AIBA -

Pg. 18 103.2 Item 1 (c ) i Wearing of Approved Headgear: to help reduce impact of a blow.

Pg. 19 103.2 #4 Wearing of Approved Headgear: The competitive headgear should be constructed so
that it is adjustable for all head sizes. These adjustment features include either a lace in effect or
can be accomplished through the use of Velcro.

Pg. 19 103.2 #5 Wearing of Approved Headgear: The outer casing of the headgear should be
constructed of leather material, leather-like material, or any smooth surface synthetic. All these
materials must have an outer casing of smooth and nonabrasive material. Any synthetic material
used shall have the same or lower coefficient level of friction as leather.

Pg. 20 103.2 #11 Wearing of Approved Headgear: The inside of competition headgear should be lined
with either leather or leather-like material, which would include synthetic leathers, and vinyl
materials.

Last edited:
Okay cool thank you that must mean it can be. I was looking through previous threads and alot of people were mentioning that it costs extra to get the AIBA Approved sticker on the Avantgarde.

So how do you know if the Avantgarde you are ordering has the AIBA sticker? or do all of them have it already? If not, could someone tell me where I could order one that has the sticker?

You should probably go with the competition model as it has the AIBA stamp on it.

http://www.totiro-usa.com/category-s/28.htm

Also, it's worth mentioning that just because something doesn't have an AIBA sticker doesn't always mean the officials at an event won't pass it.

In Australia I have seen amateur boxing matches where the fighters were wearing Top Ten avante-gardes without a stamp (I know because I was cornering them). Other times, if there's no sticker there's no fight.

If your unsure, just ask the person you are buying from if it's stamped or not.

Tim @ Totiro USA sells Top Ten and has always been willing to answer my questions. Might be worth looking into.

You should probably go with the competition model as it has the AIBA stamp on it.

http://www.totiro-usa.com/category-s/28.htm

Also, it's worth mentioning that just because something doesn't have an AIBA sticker doesn't always mean the officials at an event won't pass it.

In Australia I have seen amateur boxing matches where the fighters were wearing Top Ten avante-gardes without a stamp (I know because I was cornering them). Other times, if there's no sticker there's no fight.

If your unsure, just ask the person you are buying from if it's stamped or not.

Tim @ Totiro USA sells Top Ten and has always been willing to answer my questions. Might be worth looking into.

Okay cool thanks man. I'm kind of retarded but I looked at that link. Is the competition model the "Top Ten Leather Boxing Headguard AIBA"? cause that doesn't look like the avantgarde. Or is the avantgarde itself the competition one?

The Olympia model is officially the competition model and AIBA approved.

http://www.totiro-usa.com/TOP-TEN-Olympian-Bayflex-AIBA-Head-Guard-p/tt-1061.htm

Like I said though, depends on the show. I saw a guy last weekend wearing a white avante-guard for an amateur fight. The headgears themselves pretty much last forever, but the velcro strap was a bit beaten up lol. It was also a size too big (I think) so the guys corner taped it a bit around his head to make it more secure.

For the Olympics they want AIBA approved gloves and headgear, however, the show can mandate a brand that helps sponsors the event. This is why only Adidas was used in the Olympics and no other brands of gloves/headgear were scene.

Adidas petitioned the AIBA and the IOC to band fighters from wearing any non-Adidas shoes. This feel under the category of "personal" equipment and did not pass.

Here are some other fun-facts about the corruption of the IOC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Brand_protection

AIBA would be far more crooked without the IOC.

For USA Boxing, you can use any headgear that has been approved by USA Boxing OR AIBA.

If it doesn't have the USA Boxing patch or the the AIBA sticker, you absolutely will NOT be able to use it for competition in the US.

Zero gray area.

Edit: Didn't realize someone had necro-bumped a thread from 2012. Answer still stands.

Back