Can UFC fighters file for unemployment?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ive heard unemployment is giving everyone who qualifies around $25 an hour.

They at least will get a $1,200 check from President Trump Thursday.

Will they spend it on Reebok gear?

stupid_thread.gif

I would guess most fighters wont be eligible for a trump check.

The annual gross income cutoff is 75k for single guys and gals, and 112k if you're the main provider for a family.

Contrary to sherdogs bitching about fighter pay, most of these guys and gals make more than 75k gross when you include bonuses etc.

Yes. Dana told Donald to give them Reebok coupons to tide them over.

I would guess most fighters wont be eligible for a trump check.

The annual gross income cutoff is 75k for single guys and gals, and 112k if you're the main provider for a family.

Contrary to sherdogs bitching about fighter pay, most of these guys and gals make more than 75k gross when you include bonuses etc.
Most of them dont, the roster is huge.

Yes if they did uber part time.

They can use it to buy Reebok gear.

.........so they can wipe their ass with it.

Most of them dont, the roster is huge.
Eh. I think it might be less than you think.

In 2018 roughly half the roster would be ineligible on salary alone. If I'm understanding the article correctly, that's not including discretionary bonuses, sponsor pay, onlyfans money, etc.

I'd guess that when you factor that stuff in, it's like maybe 1/3 of the roster will be able to get trump checks.

Edit: I mean this respectfully and seriously btw. Not trying to start a shitstorm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespo...ufc-fighter-salaries-complete-list-fox11/amp/

Last edited:

They are independent contractors so no.

They are independent contractors so no.
COVID-19: Unemployment Assistance for Gig Workers and Independent Contractors
March 31, 2020

A crucial feature of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) signed into law last week is Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, which makes much-needed unemployment benefits available to independent contractors, gig workers, freelance workers, the self-employed, and other workers who do not ordinarily qualify for unemployment insurance. Companies that utilize independent contractors and gig workers may consider sharing the information below with those workers.

https://www.omm.com/resources/alert...sistance-gig-workers-independent-contractors/

COVID-19: Unemployment Assistance for Gig Workers and Independent Contractors
March 31, 2020

A crucial feature of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) signed into law last week is Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, which makes much-needed unemployment benefits available to independent contractors, gig workers, freelance workers, the self-employed, and other workers who do not ordinarily qualify for unemployment insurance. Companies that utilize independent contractors and gig workers may consider sharing the information below with those workers.

https://www.omm.com/resources/alert...sistance-gig-workers-independent-contractors/
my mistake. The helicopter money is being spread out further this time.
WholePleasingAmericanquarterhorse-size_restricted.gif

Third party contractors fall under a different category - I think it varies state by state. I had a business fail a long time ago and was about to look into it but I got a job fairly quickly so I didn't bother.

Previously, I don't think so. But one of the bills did expand unemployment coverage for self-employed and independent contractors. They might qualify now.

Independent contractors (at least in NY) qualify for unemployment if they made less than a certain amount and more than a certain minimum. So maybe some undercard fighters can qualify for unemployment (assuming they didn't make alot of money doing other stuff like youtube/coaching/being realtors during the year).

And I think the cutoff for the Trump check is like 100k on your last tax return. So, again, a bunch of fighters might be eligible, assuming they didn't have several main card fights, or other businesses/jobs.

my mistake. The helicopter money is being spread out further this time.
WholePleasingAmericanquarterhorse-size_restricted.gif

You were correct, though. It's only the Pandemic Unemployment Insurance that is covering IC's. Normally they are not eligible.

most of these guys and gals make more than 75k

Unless you fight every 4 months, and win each fight, many many many fighters do not clear 75k. Just check the payouts for 247... a lot of guys will only fight twice in a year, and even if they're making 22k show + 22k win, times 2, they make 88k, minus camp costs, and effectively get 64-68k, before the IRS jumps in.

Gross is a wildly inappropriate figure to use in regards to MMA fighter pay, compared against Average Joe... Camps frequently cost $10k and up. So if you fight 3 times, and win a total of 100k, you have to siphon off $30k, leaving 70k taxable.

After camps are paid, than you're looking at what matters.

In the UK they could file for self employed support yeah. Probably Universal Credit too.

Back