Canadian whites under fire for refusing to more to the back of a concert

if someone told me to More to the back of the bus i would be outraged.

I sincerely disagree. The artist isn't enforcing racial segregation, she is trying to make a social statement. Seriously, go back and read the article. Do you disregard her explanation for why she makes the request at her shows?

Considering the person in question had to deal with consequences when not moving, I'd hardly just call it a request.

Considering the person in question had to deal with consequences when not moving, I'd hardly just call it a request.

The person in question was venue staff. They have different responsibilities than the audience.

The person in question was venue staff. They have different responsibilities than the audience.
I wonder if that venue staff would have been asked to get to the back of the bus n shit if she was the right colour?

Racism isn't a relevant topic? Who gives a fuck about racism? Ignoring it will surely cure the problem?
This is a month old story , I don't see how it's still an issue , she's a nobody trying to make a point

Is she annoying, hell yes , would i have moved , not an inch

I understand.

Do you think the request was racist?

No. If the artist said "Ladies - sing," would that be sexist against men? Of course not.

I've written paragraphs on this already. Do you think that a singer is engaged in performance art or regular speech?

Canadian right wing white males seem to be the whiniest bitches out there. On par with the sjw's they mock. It's evident on this forum.

You guys have had the steadiest, safest influx of immigration (Indians, oh noes) and are still freaking out like doomsday preppers.

No. If the artist said "Ladies - sing," would that be sexist against men? Of course not.

I've written paragraphs on this already. Do you think that a singer is engaged in performance art or regular speech?
I think performance art can be racist, though. A good portion of performance art has a political slant to it, so it doesn't exclude itself from acts of racism, sexism, etc. Same thing with comedy and any other kind of art. This is like saying David Allen Coe didn't sing racist songs.

I wonder if that venue staff would have been asked to get to the back of the bus n shit if she was the right colour?

Completely irrelevant. It's absurd comparing a government run utility to an artist's performance art.

I think performance art can be racist, though. A good portion of performance art has a political slant to it, so it doesn't exclude itself from acts of racism, sexism, etc. Same thing with comedy and any other kind of art. This is like saying David Allen Coe didn't sing racist songs.

Yes but the artist here makes it clear that she's trying to make her audience aware of an experience. She's not making the request because she harbors racist opinions against members of her audience.

Asking people to roleplay race related scenarios doesn't automatically make the request racist.

If a therapist asks a couple to see things from the man's perspective, is the therapist making a sexist request by asking the couple to imagine a new experience?

This is the same type of fake outrage that naturally gets lampooned elsewhere. People see race related matters and turn off their brains.

Canadian right wing white males seem to be the whiniest bitches out there. On par with the sjw's they mock. It's evident on this forum.

You guys have had the steadiest, safest influx of immigration (Indians, oh noes) and are still freaking out like doomsday preppers.
You obviously aren’t following along with the Canadian liberal party immigration policies or lack there of in 2017

Yes but the artist here makes it clear that she's trying to make her audience aware of an experience. She's not making the request because she harbors racist opinions against members of her audience.

Asking people to roleplay race related scenarios doesn't automatically make the request racist.

If a therapist asks a couple to see things from the man's perspective, is the therapist making a sexist request by asking the couple to imagine a new experience?

This is the same type of fake outrage that naturally gets lampooned elsewhere. People see race related matters and turn off their brains.
But is she not perpetuating the very experience that she is trying to bring to light, by repeatedly telling the volunteer photographer to "move to the back, move to the back" ?

It's not a request at that point, it's a demand. And it was solely based on skin color, because the if the photographer was black, I'm sure there would not have been an issue.

But is she not perpetuating the very experience that she is trying to bring to light, by repeatedly telling the volunteer photographer to "move to the back, move to the back" ?

It's not a request at that point, it's a demand. And it was solely based on skin color, because the if the photographer was black, I'm sure there would not have been an issue.

No, she's telling the photographer to stop interfering with her interaction with her audience.

The photographer is there to photograph the artist's performance and this audience request is part of the performance. Interjecting herself into that dynamic is her abandoning her role of photographer and taking on the role of audience...which is not what she's there for.

So the request component doesn't apply to her. She wasn't part of the audience in the first place, where she's positioned to take photographs is ultimately up to the venue and the artist.

Back