Canelo Alvarez vs Jermell Charlo September 30th PBC Showtime PPV

I don’t know how much more I can take y’all.

watching a guy like Jermell Charlo turn a fight he was lucky to have into a stinker was not on my bingo card. I thought he’d get stopped early worst case scenario, but I pictured a man willing to go out on his shield, a man who’d be willing to trade and all I saw was a man shook by another man’s power. That was one of a few boxers I thought I’d never see do that, and that really bummed me out. Canelo looked great but his guy didn’t want to fight and that was bad for all of us and made the fight seems like a total cherry-pick after all. I gotta stop being so hopeful about these fights, these names mean nothing, very rare we actually get the mega fight we were hoping for.

Rewatched Ramos vs. Lubin on mute. That commentary did a number on me (and a lot of other people).

Lubin's jab and body work got completely ignored. 115-113 Lubin is a legit score.

Not a robbery at all.

I watched it myself after knowing the result. I thought Lubin won. A lot of the rounds Ramos may have been stalking him down but he wasn't really throwing. Lubin's jab looked pretty good a lot of the rounds.

I do think statistically Ramos landed more but I didn't see the round by round breakdown. Certainly seems to me there was a lot of focus on Lubin not throwing a lot of dangerous punches while ignoring that Ramos wasn't doing much either. Lubin looked rather unscathed compared to Ramos as well.

The announcer's view seemed rather narrow, even tunnel visioned. There were some rounds where I thought it was relatively clear Lubin got it and the commentator didn't even humor the rounds were close.

It felt like more of an amateur point boxing match.

watching a guy like Jermell Charlo turn a fight he was lucky to have into a stinker was not on my bingo card. I thought he’d get stopped early worst case scenario, but I pictured a man willing to go out on his shield, a man who’d be willing to trade and all I saw was a man shook by another man’s power. That was one of a few boxers I thought I’d never see do that, and that really bummed me out. Canelo looked great but his guy didn’t want to fight and that was bad for all of us and made the fight seems like a total cherry-pick after all. I gotta stop being so hopeful about these fights, these names mean nothing, very rare we actually get the mega fight we were hoping for.

This is true and what annoys me about boxing is when it happens one (or both) are often over the hill.

Anyway great performance by Canelo yesterday, looked like a pay check fight for Charlo but all good, it's prize fighting after all.

I feel you dude, 100 percent. What's really crappy is that when Charlo opened up with combos, his hands were way faster than Canelo's and he got in some good shots. His coaches in the corner kept telling him not to throw just one or two shots because he was getting through with his combos when he threw four, five shots. If he could've sustained some of that activity the fight would've been a lot closer.
Charlo must have felt the power and become wary pretty early on in the fight. Either that or the moment got to him in the worst way. Because those few glimpses of effective combinations show me that he had a style to give Canelo trouble if he was able to stay composed.
All credit to Canelo though like you said, he looked much more confident and energetic in the ring then he had for a while.

I feel you dude, 100 percent. What's really crappy is that when Charlo opened up with combos, his hands were way faster than Canelo's and he got in some good shots. His coaches in the corner kept telling him not to throw just one or two shots because he was getting through with his combos when he threw four, five shots. If he could've sustained some of that activity the fight would've been a lot closer.
Charlo must have felt the power and become wary pretty early on in the fight. Either that or the moment got to him in the worst way. Because those few glimpses of effective combinations show me that he had a style to give Canelo trouble if he was able to stay composed.
All credit to Canelo though like you said, he looked much more confident and energetic in the ring then he had for a while.
Its tough mentally when you land good shots and they have zero effect. You could see it in Charlo

Did you watch any pre-fight press conference?

Jermell looked like he was just happy to be there and couldn’t care less about the result of the fight.

If you didn’t know he was scheduled to fight Canelo, you’d think he was a fan who got invited on stage. It’s obvious the guy was there to get paid, not to fight.

Makes me think about Monzon vs Napoles. Napoles started his career at FW and he was basically a blown-up LW fighting at 147 to find opponents. At 34 he was the older man when he challenged Monzon in an undisputed vs undisputed fight for the MW belts and he weighted in at 153. That was a fat paycheck, he was pretty much bound to get his ass handed to him and that's what he got, quitting on his stool after the 6th round, but until then he had tried, coming at Monzon and landing some good shots for 4 rounds. I don't think Canelo is a much scarier sight than Monzon was and Charlo was much bigger than Napoles when compared to his opponent, yet he didn't try at all. I'm certainly not saying that old-timers always gave their best, but if it's a superfight we're talking about you're supposed to put on a fucking fight, goddamit.

Last edited:
Makes me think about Monzon vs Napoles. Napoles started his career at FW and he was basically a blown-up LW fighting at 147 to find opponents. When he challenged Monzon in an undisputed vs undisputed fight for the MW belts he weighted in at 153. He was pretty much bound to get his ass handed to him and that's what he got, quitting on his stool after the 6th round, but until then he had tried, coming at Monzon and landing some good shots for 4 rounds. I don't think Canelo is a much scarier sight than Monzon was and Charlo was much bigger than Napoles when compared to his opponent, yet he didn't try at all. I'm certainly not saying that old-timers always gave their best, but if it's a superfight we're talking about you're supposed to put on a fucking fight, goddamit.

I for one was happy when Jermall got replaced by Jermell, but in the end it proved to be stinker and even Crawford said he's not interested in fighting Jermell after that disappointing performance. One thing is for sure, Benavidez would've put up a 100× better performance than that, so let's hope we get that one in the new year.

I for one was happy when Jermall got replaced by Jermell, but in the end it proved to be stinker and even Crawford said he's not interested in fighting Jermell after that disappointing performance. One thing is for sure, Benavidez would've put up a 100× better performance than that, so let's hope we get that one in the new year.

Amen. At least Benavidez cannot ride his bicycle around the ring, literally.

Makes me think about Monzon vs Napoles. Napoles started his career at FW and he was basically a blown-up LW fighting at 147 to find opponents. At 34 he was the older man when he challenged Monzon in an undisputed vs undisputed fight for the MW belts he weighted in at 153. That was a fat paycheck, he was pretty much bound to get his ass handed to him and that's what he got, quitting on his stool after the 6th round, but until then he had tried, coming at Monzon and landing some good shots for 4 rounds. I don't think Canelo is a much scarier sight than Monzon was and Charlo was much bigger than Napoles when compared to his opponent, yet he didn't try at all. I'm certainly not saying that old-timers always gave their best, but if it's a superfight we're talking about you're supposed to put on a fucking fight, goddamit.
Exactly this bro, all I wanted to see was a fucking fight. I’d be a bigger fan of a Charlo who got destroyed than a Charlo who got paid and played it safe.

Did you watch any pre-fight press conference?

Jermell looked like he was just happy to be there and couldn’t care less about the result of the fight.

If you didn’t know he was scheduled to fight Canelo, you’d think he was a fan who got invited on stage. It’s obvious the guy was there to get paid, not to fight.
Yeah, he wasn’t there to be great, and you could tell by the end of the first minute of the first round.

Exactly this bro, all I wanted to see was a fucking fight. I’d be a bigger fan of a Charlo who got destroyed than a Charlo who got paid and played it safe.
This little Charlo is the one who usually fights a little more aggressive though I think. The other one tends to box more, but he's so out of shape he probably would have gotten crushed rather quickly even if he did try to fight conservatively

This little Charlo is the one who usually fights a little more aggressive though I think. The other one tends to box more, but he's so out of shape he probably would have gotten crushed rather quickly even if he did try to fight conservatively
What? No, it’s the opposite. Jermall’s the aggressive one, Jermell is the boxer.

Charlo maybe didn't enter the ring confident enough. If you get in such an anxious event, with doubts in the back of your mind, like " can I really perform well at that weight without having a previous match?"
"Will I get beaten like Errol??"
how can give it your all especially when the opponent turns out to be indeed a class above you.

To be fair Canelo also didn't get out of his comfort zone against Floyd.
Back then though he didn't have in his arsenal fighting forward and cutting the ring off and that's exactly what would take to beat Floyd.

He wasn't outclassed the way Charlo was and he didn't fight scared, but he did the same. In the biggest stage of his career he didn't give 110%.

Reactions: Ruv
Its tough mentally when you land good shots and they have zero effect. You could see it in Charlo

This is why I think Crawford needs to prove he belongs in the ring with Canelo. Because if Canelo wins people will say bud jumped three weight classes it means nothing.

This is why I think Crawford needs to prove he belongs in the ring with Canelo. Because if Canelo wins people will say bud jumped three weight classes it means nothing.
I dont want to see them fight. Theyre both so good with only a few remaining fights. Id rather see more meaningful matchups.

I dont want to see them fight. Theyre both so good with only a few remaining fights. Id rather see more meaningful matchups.

I know Crawford wants it, he literally has everything to gain: generational wealth, a shot at being the greatest of all time, the biggest upset.
Canelo has really nothing to gain at all.

after seeing charlo, I don’t think Crawford can win at all anymore. He’s not mayweather, he took some spence shots right on the chin. If he takes Canelo shots he’s going down. Crawford could walk into the ring around 165, Canelo will be 180 fight night. The difference in skill level is really not that much. Crawford had more skill but it’s not as big as wilder fury

Back