Canelo vs Da Sexy One

Canelo really is a great fighter, and I'm not tryna diss him, but Martinez was something very, very special for an unfortunately short amount of time. I think Martinez out maneuvers and out works him to a decision. Canelo has a habit of being a bit lazy at times, that wouldn't fly against Da Sex in his prime.

Chavez broke him from head to toe in one round.
No, he didn't. He had him hurt badly and in a lot of trouble, that's true. But by the end of the round Sergio had his legs back, was winning the exchanges and forcing Chavez to back off of him. Chavez got tooled in that fight.

I don't know about not pivoting, but I agree Sergio's footwork clearly was not the best, he got his own feet mixed up a lot and his foot positioning didn't line up with where he'd be placing his head so he'd put himself off balance and would sometimes get punished for it, but, he could move his feet really really really quickly, had an awkward style and threw a good jab with very fast hands and had incredible reflexes.

Also don't personally think Sergio would start fast or do well being aggressive, Canelo would catch him too often. He'd have best odds just moving laterally a lot and trying to get Canelo to come after him. Sergio's fast feet should see him make the 12 imo with enough power and speed to keep Canelo honest and take some rounds, Canelo's not all that scary when he has to come forward unless he's in with C level guys.
He pulled straight back in a straight line with his weight forward and he got caught with a right while he fell down more from the weight of the punch and less from being actually rocked. He came up and started fighting harder from that, it woke him up so to speak.
A good pivot would have been better kept him out of the right and let him counter.

Sounds like we agree about Canelo

Canelo really is a great fighter, and I'm not tryna diss him, but Martinez was something very, very special for an unfortunately short amount of time. I think Martinez out maneuvers and out works him to a decision. Canelo has a habit of being a bit lazy at times, that wouldn't fly against Da Sex in his prime.
martinez was a gifted but incredibly flawed fighter. he had very bad technique (likely because he didn’t start training until he was a grown adult) but very good speed, pop, and timing.

canelo has all of those things as well with nearly flawless technique. canelo can absolutely be lazy at times but i feel generally like he does enough to win his fights. i remember thinking trout beat a young canelo for that reason and i had mayweather winning almost every, if not every round. i don’t see a single thing martinez does better than canelo besides hand speed which is something most of canelo’s opponents have on him anyways.

No, he didn't. He had him hurt badly and in a lot of trouble, that's true. But by the end of the round Sergio had his legs back, was winning the exchanges and forcing Chavez to back off of him. Chavez got tooled in that fight.
He literally broke the guy. That was when Sergio's knee became an issue for the rest of his career.

martinez was a gifted but incredibly flawed fighter. he had very bad technique (likely because he didn’t start training until he was a grown adult) but very good speed, pop, and timing.

canelo has all of those things as well with nearly flawless technique. canelo can absolutely be lazy at times but i feel generally like he does enough to win his fights. i remember thinking trout beat a young canelo for that reason and i had mayweather winning almost every, if not every round. i don’t see a single thing martinez does better than canelo besides hand speed which is something most of canelo’s opponents have on him anyways.
Much faster feet too

The man could pivot like like a pr pro, that's for sure. Forcing Canelo to move forward would also cause Canelo problems. I think Canelo's body work would be effective esp in the later rds when Sergio's legs started to get a bit tired. Sergio would come out of the gate like a bat outta hell, tho.

That’s the thing we’ve also seen a slower tired Canelo in the late rounds when he’s presented with good movement early. After certain rounds Canelo doesn’t stay active all parts of the round like in the first GGG fight for a good while he’d go half and half or work 2 minutes and rest the last one. With Maravillas movement I see him fading a bit while possibly missing more than in the Jacobs fights. Canelo can do it all but Cotto’s timing for the hook is legendary and something Sergio or even Floyd couldn’t get away from as long as Cotto had some gas in the tank.

Canelo would have knocked him cold. The only reason Williams didn't get KO'd more often was because of his freakish ability to cut weight. Once he moved up in weight, getting hit clean started to matter.

I don’t know I think his KO loss to Sergio was a Pac vs JMM scenario because with that logic Margarito a heavy handed dude who used to cut anywhere from 60lbs himself in camp should of been able to stop Willams.

A thread Sunfish R.I.P would love
Who wins and why?
Prime
View attachment 577767
OR
images
Martinez by movement
Molasses Canelo ain't touching a prime Martinez

Sergio was a mess. His footwork was a joke. His footwork was what got him dropped against Pavlik and he was always stumbling about even before his knee was ever an issue. One of the most overrated fighters in recent years, IMO.

He looked as good as he did because he fought one dimensional plodders. Williams, Chavez, etc.
tenor.gif

I don’t know I think his KO loss to Sergio was a Pac vs JMM scenario because with that logic Margarito a heavy handed dude who used to cut anywhere from 60lbs himself in camp should of been able to stop Willams.
Right, what I was saying was that he was getting hit clean all the time. It was a flaw that was obvious very early on. I think he was on his way to getting KO'd vs Cintron before he shot for that double leg. Margarito wasn't really a huge puncher, he was more of a volume guy.

Right, what I was saying was that he was getting hit clean all the time. It was a flaw that was obvious very early on. I think he was on his way to getting KO'd vs Cintron before he shot for that double leg. Margarito wasn't really a huge puncher, he was more of a volume guy.

Yeah Marg’s power was just really confusing. Some Ko’s back up the plaster theory, some don’t and then you have a fight like the Pac fight where he must of broken some of Pacs’s ribs and Manny later states he hit him the hardest out of anyone.

I remember people saying Manny didn’t feel it till after the fight because he was on what Roger called “A-Side Meth” <Lmaoo> shit Cotto should of took some of that Meth in the first Marg fight.

Its sad that Sunfish is not around for this one.

Sergio one punch KO's that clen boy Canelo within 8 rounds.

Much faster feet too
meh. what’s that really good for? canelo’s great at cutting the ring off and lateral movement has never been a problem for him to overcome. amir khan has faster feet than martínez and that just got him walked into a right hand faster lmao

insane how overrated sergio martínez is on this forum. i loved sunfish too but jesus christ this is silly.

Don’t think Canelo has the stamina to go 12 with Maravilla, and gets busted up bad late in the fight.

Only guy that would give Canelo problems is prime Winky Wright in a boring fight that snaps Canelo's head back with a jab 700 times

I just don't know if Canelo would be mesmerized by Winky's jab in the same way Trinidad was. Underrated fight, Wright-Trinidad imo. Great technique display.

Back