Media Cannonier Says He's Recovering Well, Open to Fighting DDP or Khamzat Next

gentel

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

More encouraging news for the Cannonier title shot war wagon. The Khamzat fight is good too and the fact that he's willing to call for Khamzat at 39y/o coming off an injury is extra badass. But no question him vs DDP is the best, and his performance in the Strickland and Vettori fights says this should probably be an even 50/50 matchup or at least close to it

Hell yeah Cannonier might be the darkest horse in the division

Very down for Cannonier vs Khamzat. But doubt Khamzat wants it.
I think he'd be down considering Cannonier seems like an easier matchup for him than Costa was.

Not sure Jared would be able to get up if Khamzat got him down like this. Sorry for the trash choppy gif
SQjbT.gif

Last edited:
Cannonier does not deserve a title shot, but he is a viable candidate for Khamzat Chimaev.

Don't think he would fare well though.

Costa is the more interesting matchup for Chimaev.

Khamzat won't take the fight because Cannonier is actually an interesting stylistic matchup and physically as big if not bigger than Khamzat is.
I agree but he's also a 39-year old with knee issues. I still like the fight but Cannonier is one of those ticking time bomb fighters who is suddenly going to show his age and decline quickly. I hope he has another good fight or two in him before that happens. But it wouldn't surprise me if a wrestler is the first guy who makes Jared start showing his age/wear.

I agree but he's also a 39-year old with knee issues. I still like the fight but Cannonier is one of those ticking time bomb fighters who is suddenly going to show his age and decline quickly. I hope he has another good fight or two in him before that happens. But it wouldn't surprise me if a wrestler is the first guy who makes Jared start showing his age/wear.
100% agree.

Reactions: mkt
Sad but true

Reactions: mkt
Would like to see Cannonier vs Khamzat, makes sense and good fight.

Cannonier looked good in his last 2 wins against Strickland and Vettori. He is a very solid test for Khamzat. Never seen Cannonier even close to being submitted before, he is a physically very strong guy so won't be easy to tap for Khamzat.

Cannonier's best shot at a title was if Strickland won, given his recent win over Strickland. But with DDP as champion, it seems highly unlikely. Cannonier has very little buzz, only has a 2-fight winning streak, and doesn't have any history with the champ to override the previous two points.

I've been calling for Khamzat-Cannonier since Khamzat moved to 185. It makes all the sense in the world, which is why it probably won't happen. My guess is that he gets the winner of either Whittaker-Costa or Dolidze-Imavov winner.

Khamzat the Twitter warrior would never fight this guy

Cannonier does not deserve a title shot, but he is a viable candidate for Khamzat Chimaev.

Don't think he would fare well though.

Costa is the more interesting matchup for Chimaev.
Who does though? His efforts were certainly better than Sean's and Stickland got in there. Cannonier became the guy who had 2 top-5 wins in a row including one over the current champ (whose 2 win run was some fuckin guys with a bunch of consonants in their names).

Now that everyone near the top has a recent loss to someone else who lost recently, Jared is the only one with some respectable wins actually in the weight class. The only two people on a streak are Allen and Khamzat and neither of them have a real serious MW win yet.

Agreed, though I think that's the reason you use him while he's still a winning top guy. Someone's bound to dethrone the perennial contender, even if it's just the first person out of a consecutive bunch of losses in a row, Woodley/TFerg style. No reason to shelf him while he's still getting traction

Cannonier's best shot at a title was if Strickland won, given his recent win over Strickland. But with DDP as champion, it seems highly unlikely. Cannonier has very little buzz, only has a 2-fight winning streak, and doesn't have any history with the champ to override the previous two points.
2-fight winning streak is 2 fights more winning streak than Adesanya, Whittaker, Strickland, or Vettori have

Cannonier vs Wolf is the fight to make. It’s what I wanted right after the former brutalized Vettori. He’s the dark horse of the division, and a stylistic nightmare for both Strickland and Du Plessis. He either ruins the Wolf hype and becomes undeniable challenger, or Wolf gets advanced shot to the title.

Back