Cape Town: The World’s First Major City to Run Out of Water ("Day Zero" Moved Up To April 22) | Page 6

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 7437 Gold Belt

they have a negative immigration rate. care to try again?

2. EZShrimpn It, this is.

EZShrimpn
    Funny I remember watching a documentary about emergency services in SA called "Tell me and I will forget" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1608217/) and they all claimed they were stretched to the breaking point due to open borders with neighboring countries and the problems that those people would cause.

3. 7437 Gold Belt

sorry the numbers dont match up with what you saw on TV. South Africa has a negative immigration rate.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html

4. Exception Purple Belt

Exception
    Well, this certainly doesn't sound like it's run like a shit hole.............. at all.

vespasian and 3825 968 like this.
  5. Black Helicopters Yellow Belt

Black Helicopters
    Goonerview likes this.
  6. 7437 Gold Belt

imbabwe has a population estimate of 16 million, so that sounds like a crock of shit.

https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/DataQuery/

7. Orgasmo Red Belt

Orgasmo
    South Africa will turn into a shithole similar to Zimbabwe in 3 years unless Zuma is removed from office. The end of apartheid has failed to bring economic equality and prosperity to South Africa. It failed to resolve any of the underlying social problems plaguing the country other than apartheid itself. I wonder if it would have worked out better if the whites and blacks each got their own state back in the 1990's.

splendica likes this.
  8. Necromantic Stabbing

Necromantic
    bottled water = white privilege.

splendica and alanb like this.
  9. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    Dam project fast-tracked to tackle Cape Town water crisis
    2018-01-13

[​IMG]

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ked-to-tackle-cape-town-water-crisis-20180113

splendica likes this.
  10. BjPenn2017 Brown Belt

BjPenn2017
    Damn imagine the stench if they actually did run out of water and nobody could shower

11. covenant Brown Belt

covenant
    youd imagine a headline like this would garner more interest.

are any other cities in south africa facing DOOM as well?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    Ayin and HomerThompson like this.
  12. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    Pupils are required to bring drinking water to school in Cape Town
    16 January 2018 - By Petru Saal

[​IMG]

Pupils will start the year bringing their own bottled drinking water to at least one high school that is taking drastic steps to mitigate the effects of a looming water crisis in Cape Town.

Bergvliet High School outlined its strategy in a circular to parents and staff on Monday. It illustrates how significant the impact of the drought and water shortage is on daily life in the city.

When pupils return to school‚ they will have limited access to drinking water and some toilet facilities will be closed.

“As the water crisis heightens in the Western Cape in general and Cape Town in particular‚ Bergvliet High School is obliged to take measures to reduce our water consumption‚” said the notice from principal Stephen Price.

Efforts to reduce water consumption will include:

- Upstairs toilets being closed due to a lack of water pressure capable of reaching the second floor.
    - Downstairs toilets being open before school‚ at breaks and after school, otherwise locked with keys available should they need to be used during lessons.
    - One hand basin tap operational per bathroom‚ with the others disconnected. Hand sanitiser will be provided.
    - No showering at school‚ pupils will have to bring their own bottled water as drinking water will be limited.
    - Pupils will be required to bring‚ according to a roster system‚ 5l of bottled water per month to be used daily in class.

“I know the situation is not ideal but we have to take the measures to play our part in this water crisis‚” said Price.

The school told parents that it had been approached by the city’s disaster management team with a view to it being used as a water collection point for residents‚ should “Day Zero” arrive when the dams are empty.

Parents were urged to share their ideas to save water.

The provincial education department said that schools had adopted “various water saving measures as they prepare for continued drought in 2018”.

Spokesperson Jessica Shelver said: “Some 423 schools already have boreholes and water tanks‚ and many schools are harvesting rain water. The department is monitoring water consumption and will intervene where necessary where water consumption is excessive.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...s-take-drinking-water-to-school-in-cape-town/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    splendica and HomerThompson like this.
  13. PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

PrinceOfPain
    Illegal immigration is definitely a problem, as we lack the capacity to police our border, but immigration (illegal or otherwise) is not as out of control as some suggest. A couple years ago, the New York Times and the BBC claimed that we had 5 million immigrants - but the New York Times and the BBC are apparently run by idiots who don't know how to check facts.
    SA has about 2.2 million non-citizens living here. Maybe 2.5 million today, when you account for illegals that evaded the census bureau. That's about 4% of our 52-million population.

7437 is right in pointing out that we have a net negative immigration.
    Educated South Africans (mostly white, but some black) often get out of the country as soon as they can. So the infrastructural strain is mostly the result of 'white flight', which is mostly an outcome of affirmative action and the Broad-Based Black Empowerment Act.
    Black foreigners do not benefit from the act, and so we either get illegals (who are pretty much useless) or educated Zimbabweans, etc, who may work hard and be quality individuals. but do not provide their employers any benefits under black economic empowerment and so are often passed over by companies that are hiring non-whites in order to meet their quota.

14. mike1980 White Belt

mike1980
    We all know what has caused this.

15. 2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

2DUM2TAP
    On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    They don't have a water shortage. They have a salt surplus.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy....

TheWorm likes this.
  16. TheWorm Black Belt

TheWorm
    That was going to be my suggestion, other than the fact they’re apparently super expensive, probably outside the scope of financial viability for an African nation.

17. 2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

2DUM2TAP
  18. Ayin Black Belt

Ayin
    I’m interested in following this just to know if it is a DOOM scenario. The general calm around the whole thing is throwing me off.

19. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    You read our earlier discussion about desalination plant in Carlsbad right?

It was built by the same people with the same tech as the one in Israel, the difference here is Israel also built its own dedicated nuclear power plant to provide the cheap electricity required to run the facility.

On the other hand, the one in Carlsbad costs an arm and a leg to operate, because they have to buy that energy on the open market, which is the case for nearly all desal plants around the world except the Middle East.

Israel can build as many nuclear power plants as they want uncumbered by peskt environmentalist, same with Arab countries where fossile fuel is as cheap as sand. For everybody else, energy remains an expensive obstacle.

http://www.powermag.com/desalination-expands-energy-challenges-remain/

20. 2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

2DUM2TAP
    Nope I didn't. Quite frankly i know only a little about the subject and wanted to sound smart.

But hey... build more nuke plants.... problem solved.

Funny thing is I learned how to distill water for survival using a pot, black garbage bag and a hose....