International Taps have run dry across South Africa’s largest city in an unprecedented water crisis

[Yoda voice]Begin the Water War has.

This is 80% maintenance, 20% climate. You know this.

What I know is that living in a place worh drying reservoirs AND sh*tty infrastructure sucks. What I also know is this isn't the only place in the world this is happening for both reasons. Another thing I know is corporate greed has led to pilfering of water supplies and the backing of politicians who shut down attempts to repair public water works or makes them worse.

I have been following this for a few years. Climate is the smallest part of this. There were droughts, but this is an area that has had decent rainfall. What is going on is the infrastucture is horrendoes. Water degradation from faulty sweage treatment plants and leakage from holding facilities is the main issue. They also have water thieves, meter manipulators, and a population that does not conserve and uses more water on average than Europe with zero fucks given. This could be fixed with a competent leadership structure, but that they do not have.

I have been following this for a few years. Climate is the smallest part of this. There were droughts, but this is an area that has had decent rainfall. What is going on is the infrastucture is horrendoes. Water degradation from faulty sweage treatment plants and leakage from holding facilities is the main issue. They also have water thieves, meter manipulators, and a population that does not conserve and uses more water on average than Europe with zero fucks given. This could be fixed with a competent leadership structure, but that they do not have.
Thank you. I have also been following this for years so glad for the company.

I think the water and power situations are related. For example, South Africa's power grid is not well maintained and often has power outages. This means the water pumping stations cannot function and that reduces overall capacity.

What do you think of the report about water quality? If 1/3 to 2/3 of the water is containmented, that would also reduce the water supply.

No idea what the fix would be but it would involve long term planning and infrastructure upgrades. Probably with lower consumption and utilization management. But that's a harder story to tell than blame it on X.

Thank you. I have also been following this for years so glad for the company.

I think the water and power situations are related. For example, South Africa's power grid is not well maintained and often has power outages. This means the water pumping stations cannot function and that reduces overall capacity.

What do you think of the report about water quality? If 1/3 to 2/3 of the water is containmented, that would also reduce the water supply.

No idea what the fix would be but it would involve long term planning and infrastructure upgrades. Probably with lower consumption and utilization management. But that's a harder story to tell than blame it on X.
I bet the water quality is actuallyu worse than what is being reported. I would imagine in that part of the World Solar and Wind could be huge producers. Today, desalination plants are booming in many arid regions of the world, and to treat water in other areas that is fouled by natural and unnatural contaminants. The issue is with the poverty, these programs need funds. That is why when I see someone like Bezos ex wife just writing checks to all these charities without even knowing what they are.....you could focus on one part of the world and solve an entire issue single handedly.

Man where is princeofpain

mad-max-water.gif

What I know is that living in a place worh drying reservoirs AND sh*tty infrastructure sucks. What I also know is this isn't the only place in the world this is happening for both reasons. Another thing I know is corporate greed has led to pilfering of water supplies and the backing of politicians who shut down attempts to repair public water works or makes them worse.

You would be surprised at how much water is wasted due to poor infrastructure.

I bet the water quality is actuallyu worse than what is being reported. I would imagine in that part of the World Solar and Wind could be huge producers. Today, desalination plants are booming in many arid regions of the world, and to treat water in other areas that is fouled by natural and unnatural contaminants. The issue is with the poverty, these programs need funds. That is why when I see someone like Bezos ex wife just writing checks to all these charities without even knowing what they are.....you could focus on one part of the world and solve an entire issue single handedly.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately desalination on that kind of scale would require millions of kilowatts of power at a time when South Africa's energy utility is already struggling with load shedding and decades of deferred maintenance. I think a better plan would be cleaning up the corruption, maintain a stable energy grid and slowly upgrade water infrastructure over decades. But easier said than done right.

Who knows why or why not MacKenzie gives out grants. I imagine her team has accountability and reporting requirements so maybe that would make it unlikely for a grant applicant in this part of the world on this specific issue. You could probably look up her criteria though?

This is 80% maintenance, 20% climate. You know this.
we should tank living standards all over the world because a few countries with incompetent people don’t know how to store and recycle water, or find new sources, so that we can return to the previous era of completely predictable and favorable climate.

A power grid in absolute collapse and now the water is disappearing

I wonder if South Africa will empty out, like it was before 1600s

What percentage colonialism and apartheid?

Surely subjugating a populace had some adverse effects?
You’re right, it is a result of colonialism, because the Europeans left a lot of technology that was too difficult to maintain for the native population.

If they never colonized them, they would have lived & adapted with climate change the way their ancestors would have for thousands of years.

You’re right, it is a result of colonialism, because the Europeans left a lot of technology that was too difficult to maintain for the native population.

If they never colonized them, they would have lived & adapted with climate change the way their ancestors would have for thousands of years.

Why do you think the technology was too advanced? Is it genetic? Are they inferior?

Back