Car jack stands for squats?

rms13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have been working out at home. I got a cheap bench/squat rack set up. I don't have money to drop on a power rack right now but I want to cheaply add some safety stops for my benching and squatting. I read a lot of threads where people suggest saw horses but they don't seem safe if they shattered or and they seem like they are all too high for my squatting. Has anyone used car jack stands for this purpose? I can get a pair for about $50

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/6...up=npadwords&gclid=CJztzvKD0rUCFQ_znAodNAoAiQ

compared to some purpose built squat stands for $120

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-93015-W-Safety-Stands/dp/B000TF66NG

No, I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I know someone on here use(s/d) sawhorses.

You'd have to have pinpoint accuracy for them to be any benefit, and you'll likely have none when you need it most.

Oh, well probably better off with sawhorses then.

I started out using sawhorses, better than not back squatting. But starting from the bottom was the really annoying part as it removed the stretch reflex for the first rep and reduced the weight I could use.

If you decide to go with the sawhorses, try and find a way to start the squat at proper height. Buy cheap squat stands or build them. I wish I had done that.

Or invest in a power rack. Best purchase I've made so far for my training.

I started out using sawhorses, better than not back squatting. But starting from the bottom was the really annoying part as it removed the stretch reflex for the first rep and reduced the weight I could use.

If you decide to go with the sawhorses, try and find a way to start the squat at proper height. Buy cheap squat stands or build them. I wish I had done that.

He has a squat rack.

I found some cheap sawhorse for $30/pair. they are 29". That seems like optimum height for me. Just trying to estimate with a measuring tape I think the bar would be 29-30" when I am at full depth. My only concern is it might be too low for benching but I'll buy them and return them if they don't work out. Money is really tight right now so dropping $400 or more on a rack is out of the question and even $150 for the squat stands is pushing it

Try some of these for squat stands:

http://www.casualhacker.net/blog/2008/04/homemade-squat-stands/

IMG_0795.jpg

I found some cheap sawhorse for $30/pair. they are 29". That seems like optimum height for me. Just trying to estimate with a measuring tape I think the bar would be 29-30" when I am at full depth. My only concern is it might be too low for benching but I'll buy them and return them if they don't work out. Money is really tight right now so dropping $400 or more on a rack is out of the question and even $150 for the squat stands is pushing it

wait... do you have a squat rack or not? I didn't read properly that's why I suggested the squat stands. If you have something to unrack the bar from then that's fine.

I actually use the same height for my safety pins for squats + flat bench, so I would recommend you measure what you need for your bench (ideally so that when you arch your chest is above the safety but your head below). Then see if that height also works for squats.

Keep in mind that you can always adjust the height with wooden boards underneath either the bench or sawhorses.

wait... do you have a squat rack or not? I didn't read properly that's why I suggested the squat stands. If you have something to unrack the bar from then that's fine.

I actually use the same height for my safety pins for squats + flat bench, so I would recommend you measure what you need for your bench (ideally so that when you arch your chest is above the safety but your head below). Then see if that height also works for squats.

Keep in mind that you can always adjust the height with wooden boards underneath either the bench or sawhorses.

I do have a squat stand. I am just looking for a safety stands/spotters since I lift alone.

do you have a harbour freight near you?

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-piece-foldable-saw-horse-set-41577.html

rated to 1000 lbs, apparently.

i'd suggest screwing in some small blocks of wood at each end so the bar doesnt roll off and possibly figure out how to weight it down so it doesnt just tip over if you drop the bar on it.

if it bows under weight, just add another board to the top and screw it in throughout the full length.

do you have a harbour freight near you?

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-piece-foldable-saw-horse-set-41577.html

rated to 1000 lbs, apparently.

i'd suggest screwing in some small blocks of wood at each end so the bar doesnt roll off and possibly figure out how to weight it down so it doesnt just tip over if you drop the bar on it.

if it bows under weight, just add another board to the top and screw it in throughout the full length.

I ended up getting these from Lowes. They are fine for my squats and maybe 1" too high for my bench but I guess I can put something under the bench to raise it

http://www.lowes.com/pd_161034-8267...orse&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=sawhorse&facetInfo=

How much do you bench?

Just roll of shame that bitch.

How much do you bench?

Just roll of shame that bitch.

not much so I can do the roll of shame if needed. But I think the added confidence of safety stops will push me past some mental hurdles

You can get little brackets to make your own sawhorses out of and make the legs to the proper height for squatting, and even make a second set of legs to use for benching. Total out of pocket, maybe $50. That's what I used 'til I got a rack. Dropped 235 from a jerk that I missed the catch on and barely dented it. Setting a missed squat on them shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread..

Thanks to rms13! I've always wanted to try rack pulls, but the safeties on my squat stand is not low enough for me to do it. I never thought about using car jack stands for it :D i'll try them out next time.

Back