Cardio Machines

Which of the three machines would you choose for conditioning?

• Total voters

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the next 4 - 6 weeks, running is not an option as I rehab a hamstring strain. My physio says I can use the following pieces of equipment for cardiovascular conditioning,

Stationary Bike

Elliptical Trainer

Rowing Machine. Upper body only, no leg movement.

Which one would you guys choose?

The rowing machine is my favorite. The stationary bike is painfully boring and the elliptical does nothing imo

Not on the list, but the only cardio machine I own, and the only one I like, is the Versa Climber.

Not on the list, but the only cardio machine I own, and the only one I like, is the Versa Climber.

Not an option, as I have to keep lower limb movement to a minimum. So I can't go Full Drago, unfortunately;)

Last edited:
Rowing machine uses lower body but if u mean u will purposely not use the lower body then it’s still better than everything else

Although I will say the other 2 would be easier on the hamstrings and might not be the worst idea

Whenever I would goto PT for my hamstring strain the 2 machines I would warmup on were the treadmill and the elliptical

Airdyne. All the advantages of a stationary bike plus the addition of using your upper extremities.

Surprised you can do an elliptical with a hamstring injury. I’d say mix it up between bike and rowing machine

For the next 4 - 6 weeks, running is not an option as I rehab a hamstring strain. My physio says I can use the following pieces of equipment for cardiovascular conditioning,

Stationary Bike

Elliptical Trainer

None are as good for pure cardio as jogging. But you can't do that.

I'd maybe try the elliptical, it might be the easiest to get your hr up and keep it there for extended time. With the others, you may tire out quickly trying to keep your hr at 120 bpm

elliptical is a smooth motion for your hamstrings. upper body is involved, too. heartrate goes up easily, like tj said.
also on the bike you could involve your hamstring in a circular fashion if your injury allows any resistance right now.
i think the elliptical is your best choice.

Surprised you can do an elliptical with a hamstring injury. I’d say mix it up between bike and rowing machine

Elliptical was recommended by the physio, so he must figure it wouldn't aggravate the hamstring injury.

Bike for me, find it much easier to do small bursts of intensity on them.

Rower if you could use your legs would be probably be better

Treadmill is #1 to me, but after that I like the stair climber - the one that has actual stairs that rotate.

Stationary Bike

Elliptical Trainer

Can you run in a pool? that is the training method of choice for many track athletes with lower body injuries.

How is your gait? Is incline walking at a low intensity an option? If a physio is willing to sign off on using an eliptical while rehabbing it, I assume you can still walk without having to overcompensate.

How is your gait? Is incline walking at a low intensity an option? If a physio is willing to sign off on using an eliptical while rehabbing it, I assume you can still walk without having to overcompensate.

Correct. No pain while walking etc. In fact, it's more likely to hurt if I've been standing or sitting for some time.

If you can do elliptical, then that for sure.I don't find the other 2 anywhere near as good for keeping the HR up without being offset by muscle burn (which could be what you want).

Just switch it up between bike and rowing so it doesn’t get to boring :)!

Back