Cardio with Stress Fracture?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment with my Doctor next Wednesday; for the last week or so I've been getting pain in my left foot when walking, jogging etc. The last time I had these symptoms, it was a stress fracture.

Obviously, I'm not second-guessing my Doc. I'll wait until he examines me. But I believe in hoping for the best while preping for the worst, hence this Thread.

I figure I can work around a Stress Fracture by adjusting my MA training; less sparring/Rolling, no kicking with my left leg etc.

Strength training can be adjusted as well. At the moment I'm doing the Juggernaut 2 day split, which in fact is a hybrid: you do the first Lift of the workout Juggernaut-style and the use 5/3/1 with no AMAP for the second Big Lift. If I do have an SF, I'll switch to the 3 day Juggernaut split. This is actually "lighter" since the emphasis is on Reps.

The problem is Cardio. At the moment I jog twice a week and sprint on the same days I Lift. Obviously, I can't do that while healing an SF. Swimming would be my first choice, or maybe use this as an excuse to buy a BFO tyre and sledgehammer.

Any other suggestions for Cardio while healing a Stress Fracture will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

can you swim with a stress fracture? if you can that's my pick.

EDIT: i skimmed and then saw swimming was your first choice. do it, then get the BFO tyre and sledge if you could.

can you swim with a stress fracture? if you can that's my pick.

EDIT: i skimmed and then saw swimming was your first choice. do it, then get the BFO tyre and sledge if you could.

I'll obviously check with my Doc is the worst comes to the worst, but I'd be surprised if I was'nt allowed to swim; there's no impact and the water helps support my weight.

But the Tyre and Sledgehammer just looks cooler...:icon_chee

oh god,my post count is higher than yours ! oh noes i have disturbed the natural order.

and yes that totally looks more bad ass.

Maybe try some of those machines we're always demonizing? Like the one that looks like you're pedaling a bike with your hands.

Really the only thing I can think of that will allow you to consistently maintain your ideal heart-rate for any extended period of time is swimming. Maybe buy a one of these and go do some wheeLSD.

On top of everything that has been mentioned you could try battle ropes (assuming you have access to a big ass rope).

On top of everything that has been mentioned you could try battle ropes (assuming you have access to a big ass rope).

I don't, 'though I'm trying to persuade my gym to buy some Strongman/MMA equipment.

In highschool our best XC runner got stress fractures through over training, he successfully rehabed and kept cardio up by swimming.

Swimming would be my go-to replacement for jogging. The problem is, most swimming pools have restricted opening hours, which make it difficult to fit in around work etc.

If the worst comes to the worst and I have to go with the Sledgehammer and Tyre, how should I program it? Start with 2 - 3 minute rounds and build up?

hmm I'd take this opportunity to consult the new Conditioning FAQ! Figure out which energy system makes the most since to train (aerobic will probably have the most carry over once you go back to your normal routine - or so I'd think) and then build a routine around that.

I have an appointment with my Doctor next Wednesday; for the last week or so I've been getting pain in my left foot when walking, jogging etc. The last time I had these symptoms, it was a stress fracture.

Obviously, I'm not second-guessing my Doc. I'll wait until he examines me. But I believe in hoping for the best while preping for the worst, hence this Thread.

I figure I can work around a Stress Fracture by adjusting my MA training; less sparring/Rolling, no kicking with my left leg etc.

Strength training can be adjusted as well. At the moment I'm doing the Juggernaut 2 day split, which in fact is a hybrid: you do the first Lift of the workout Juggernaut-style and the use 5/3/1 with no AMAP for the second Big Lift. If I do have an SF, I'll switch to the 3 day Juggernaut split. This is actually "lighter" since the emphasis is on Reps.

The problem is Cardio. At the moment I jog twice a week and sprint on the same days I Lift. Obviously, I can't do that while healing an SF. Swimming would be my first choice, or maybe use this as an excuse to buy a BFO tyre and sledgehammer.

Any other suggestions for Cardio while healing a Stress Fracture will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

The less time you spend on your feet and the more time you spend either resting or in a boot, the shorter your recovery time is. Swimming and upper body work are fine, even some BJJ (if you don't start standing) but even using a sledge on the tire is going to put stress on your feet. You've had a stress fx before also, so you may want to take a look at your diet because that can predispose a person to stress fx. Calcium + Vit D supplements might help prevent stuff in the future, and you might want to get some orthotics for your shoes.

It's really amazing how much an orthotic helps in so many injuries for prevention and treatment, but any closed chain (feet on the ground) activity starts from the toes!

That means I can't do Squats, Deadlifts, standing Military Press...just shoot me now, please.:icon_cry2

First and foremost do whatever your doctor clears you to do.

But, generally stress fx patients have a hard time healing because they don't back off enough. After all, most people sustain the fx because they are doing too much to begin with.

Sometimes less is more, but talk to your doctor about what kind of compromises you can make if you don't think you can live without squatting for a couple months.

First and foremost do whatever your doctor clears you to do.

But, generally stress fx patients have a hard time healing because they don't back off enough. After all, most people sustain the fx because they are doing too much to begin with.

Sometimes less is more, but talk to your doctor about what kind of compromises you can make if you don't think you can live without squatting for a couple months.

I swear, a chill went right up my spine when I read that...:eek:

As you say, I'll have to follow my Doc's advice. Whatever it turns out to be.

I basically just took 6 weeks off when I had mine, be like me.

You can almost certainly do weighted chins and weighted dips. That's a lot better than nothing.

Smolov Jr for Bench?

I was also thinking of BOR or Pendlay Row instead of Deads and Seated Press. About the only thing I can do for legs is Leg Extensions...

Smolov Jr for Bench?

I was also thinking of BOR or Pendlay Row instead of Deads and Seated Press. About the only thing I can do for legs is Leg Extensions...

Bent Over Rows put some pressure on your legs, I don't know if they would work or not for you. Likewise, benching involves leg drive. Unless you want to do SJ for bodybuyilder-style bench...

Seated press or z-press should be absolutely fine, though. I am sure that there is quite a number of upper body pulls and pushes you could find.

Bent Over Rows put some pressure on your legs, I don't know if they would work or not for you. Likewise, benching involves leg drive. Unless you want to do SJ for bodybuyilder-style bench...

Seated press or z-press should be absolutely fine, though. I am sure that there is quite a number of upper body pulls and pushes you could find.

Bench with Dumbbells instead of Barbells? I never use leg drive with DB's.

Back