Carla Esparza v. Michelle Waterson

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Can't wait for Saturday's return of the UFC. So many great fights. Thought I'd share a breakdown of this fun matchup that's on the prelims.

Carla Esparza (15-6) v. Michelle Waterson (17-7)

This Strawweight bout features two veterans who have proved they belong while being amongst the smaller fighters in the division. Carla was inaugural champ before losing her title to Joanna J. Since then she has bounced back gaining five victories, with her only blowout loss to wrestling monster Tatiana Suarez. She returns after going 2-0 in 2019, with successive wins over Virna Jandiroba and Alexa Grasso.

Michelle brings her entertaining karate hybrid style. She's enjoyed surprising success and durability, gaining consecutive wins against Cortney Casey, Felice Herrig and Karolina K. That win-streak earned Michelle a fight night main event match against Joanna J., who dominated the five-rounder. This led to Joanna's bloody title fight against Zhang Weili - candidate for fight of the year and an all-time great war. Versus JJ, Michelle proved game, nearly hitting an early submission and going the distance showing her toughness and heart.

Their styles are very different. Carla's a technically adept wrestler, hitting takedowns to gain top control. Her stand-up has improved. Michelle has a karate hybrid style, using high kicks, athleticism and unpredictable moves.

Expect Carla to be the aggressor. She'll try to close the distance and attempt takedowns to get some chain wrestling going. Waterson may try to pick shots from a distance and use her speed to create opportunities for her 'anything goes' style.

I'm rooting for Waterson. Picking Esparza.

Interested in everyone's thoughts. Stay safe & healthy, friends. Enjoy the fights!

Coach Oyama assures me that Carla's got this. She's in terrific shape & she's going to dominate on their feet as well as on the ground.

95835018_10163349710915034_7565443153688264704_o.jpg

96354931_10163339601005034_4015567531522654208_o.jpg

95656956_10163339601270034_868402590084235264_o.jpg

First off, great breakdown. I'm looking forward to this one too.

Carla has looked great recently imo, while Michelle, although demonstrating incredible heart in the JJ fight, got lit up badly. So my number one question is what is Michelle's mind like right now?
Assuming she's good to go I think it's a pretty even fight.

If Michelle can keep distance and avoid Carlas TDA's , I feel she'll win with the better striking.
Exact opposite for Carla obviously: Try to avoid exchanges standing and use her wrestling.

No real horse in this one and I like both.
Having to pick I'll go slightly Michelle as I think she can keep it standing and win on points.

I generally take the wrestler in these type of fights. I expect Esparza to take Michelle down and get the UD.

Been tore on this but I’ll go with Esparza ugly decision win

I love them both and I love this match. Both are incredibly strong for true atom weights and quite small for straw weights. I wish them both luck.

Esparza by UD.

Picked Carla. Put her in a parlay with a few other favorites.

The winner moves a step up and likely faces Andrade, Rose, Suarez, or Joanna. And gets obliterated by any of those fighters. Go Carla! The JBG demands your blood!
<{JustBleed}>

I agree it's a great fight.

I've got money on waterson by decision as the underdog. hopefully she doesn't disappoint. but could honestly go either way.

The winner moves a step up and likely faces Andrade, Rose, Suarez, or Joanna. And gets obliterated by any of those fighters. Go Carla! The JBG demands your blood!
<{JustBleed}>

Man, you really dislike the Cookie Monster!

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and say Carla happily trades with Waterson from the opening bell and holds her own. And, that will continue into the 2nd round. Then, midway through that round, she'll get a double-leg from hell and slam Michelle to the mat and move into full mount and finish her with strikes.

Really looking forward to this one; two OG's for American WMMA.

Jarl

I’ve been waffling on this one. I see why Carla is the favorite, but I think Waterson can defend the takedowns and keep Carla back. But I could be totally wrong, this could be a wrestlefucking. Should be interesting either way. For now, I’m leaning toward Waterson.

If Carla can't get her wrestling going, it's gonna be a rough night. Waterson by decision

Watersons weakness is obviously wrestling, but she also has some slick submission skills and is used to facing powerful women, with some pounds on her...i have a feeling the Karate Hottie pulls this one out.

Is the chick in the background topless lol? where are they?
And damn, Carla is way hotter than I thought.
After very careful observation, I concluded that it's just a very light-coloured bikini top.

Since i dont trust Carla's cardio...i pick Michelle

Back