Catch Wrestling United

You're in over your head Dan. Josh Barnett has questioned you because your constant unfounded name dropping got you into this mess. Now other catch groups outside of Sherdog are questioning you and I didn't have to say a word, your ridiculous spamming of videos got you that, on top of your walls of text that end up saying absolutely nothing.

You were run off the Underground for your BS, and I've spoken to grapplers who remember you as the local laughing stock around the Michigan scene. It amazes me moderators here have tolerated you this long especially with your constant posts and invariably being the first couple of replies to your own post just to keep it boosted up the page.

You've also shown yourself to be quite contemptible going after someone once your knew they didn't train, threatening at the least to kick my ass, and at the most wanting to leave me a cripple for the rest of my life. I made no such physical threats towards you, or anyone on this board.

What goes around comes around Dan. You'll get yours eventually.

truth.

hosting tournaments is good, but recording those matches and putting them on youtube is great. Thats how you build interest these days (also, im starved for new grappling material to watch, pls help).

Agree 100%.

lol KJ, you called me out to compete, I said Ok against you since all over the net and here for a very long time you passed yourself off as an Expert like you actually trained. That is unforgivable. I said what I would do to you if you competed against me in a grappling tournament. I have said you deserve to get your ass kicked, and I do believe that you do deserve it for the shady stuff you have done to me, posting on closed forums, for the nasty stuff you have said about Gokor, and for basically just leaving Gene out of the picture. You act very much like a woman, posting the worst example you could find of my wrestling from way back and trying to get people to gang up on FB forums. Dude, I get your a dark nasty lonely person with some back issue or something, and ur online all day, but you do really shady shit. The first off was having people believe you were an actual expert when you never trained. I also have major back pain, horrible body pain, have Lupus and Sjorgens but I do the damn best I can to contribute and be a decent person.

Funny in Michigan after just 3 yrs of major grappling, I won the Great Lakes Grappling Association Advanced HW Tournament even though I weighed 197 lbs beating some very big guys. So I had skills then, one by Bohlander style crucifix neck crank, one by a Lebell like High shoulder lock from mount, and the last which was on vid with the Inside Cradle to Heel hook which I can not believe no one has attempted to my knowledge since. None of those subs were common BJJ or Judo submissions, this back in 2000. My 3 NHB/MMA wins were by 1st round submission as well.

Ur a snail that posts screen shots, you have been so hypocritical as to whom is or whom is not catch, you seem to support only a couple orgs, I think one for $ possibly, one org I have no idea why you support based on the background I know of the people selling certificates and associations, other than the fact you like they hold tournaments with pins. You care about the pin and lineage more than actual real competition against top grapplers or fighters in MMA or major no gi events. If there wasn't Josh competing you would have no one to claim to really.

In your vast historical knowledge, which mostly anyone can get online for free legally in all the books published before copyright, why do you refuse to give me info on Dick Cardinal?

And I already provided proof Dennis Hallman saying he is a Catch Wrestler first and foremost and that was supposed to make you go away.

Last edited:
When did I call you out to compete? After making it clear I don't compete? The most I asked was - since you're the one who actually has been claiming some kind of guru status in catch-jitsu-ufc-insertyoutubeSEOtaghere - would you compete against someone who has been competing in catch and winning tournaments, such as Luis Ojeda, or would you turn up to compete at tournaments like the West Coast King of Catch, or the Catch Wrestling Alliance (both of which are in the Los Angeles area)?

Oh, but that's right. You've 'proven' yourself in the past and don't need to compete anymore. That's the line you've used when I asked in the past. That didn't stop you from threatening me, and not in a competitive match capacity.

But please, keep boasting about your past non-accomplishments. I'm surprised you haven't recounted the tale of you defeating some fat dude called 'Scary Jerry'?

KJ belittles beating a 310 lb Pro fighter in advanced Absolute Division by armbar when I was 205 lbs. That says a lot.

Sorry dont know that guy you mention, or if he is under 205/210 lbs in my division, or if somewhere like Metamoris, EBI, or Polaris would care.
Does anyone care about those tournaments, do they get publicity, do the draw the best guys from all grappling styles? or is it just a small pond ataboy party w pins and subs...so you keep out most of the still competitive wrestlers, keep out all the best bjj regular no gi competitors etc? I said I would support wish best to pin tournies, but suggested how that is so small minded and all that is wrong with it. Made great suggestions how they should hold without pins on Sat, and with pins on Sunday for free to attract more regular competitors, get people into Catch, get people more interested in takedowns, being on top, riding etc.

You don't deserve to be in those high profile tournaments. No one here thinks you do, because you've accomplished nothing.

You're a joke who brags about a match you had with Jason Miller years ago whom you outweighed, and who beat you one sidedly despite being at best a blue belt at the time.

Or brag about how you think your fight with Jeremy Horn was one sided in your favour until you 'slipped up' and attempt to post isolated photos as proof you did better than you really did. I've been told going into that fight you were just some wing chun guy who tried to get some quick grappling / mma training on the fly, and Horn beat your ass handedly.

Or how about your legendary match with Yuki Kondo, the match I've been told you were practically shitting yourself over and wouldn't come out of the locker room, and Kondo had to go to your locker room and coax you out by promising not to hurt you, since Kondo is a gentelman and one of the sport's good guys?

Everyone can compete in these catch tournaments, BJJ guys have, Sambists have, college wrestlers have. You can use leglocks, you can use neck cranks.

You're the one who needs to put up or shut up. My recommendation is you stay put and hide out in Asia.

oh wow, KJ read some b.s. on the net, must be true then. lol. Again KJ makes bullshit claims, repeats shit that is not true, offers nothing. He is supposedly a journalist remember. Great research and fact finding, PROOF from multiple sources. Reading B.S. on the net, being a gossip queen does not make one a journalist, an expert, nor a man. Didn't answer any of my questions though, or explain the shady shit, or acting like he was an ACTUAL expert for years, and still does on youtube btw. Thinks he is right to belittle actual wins and losses. I think Teddy R said something about that. Thinks he has the right to belittle and flat out suggest wrong doing by life long grappling coaches. Take care KJ, ur a horribly nasty miserable person, that is shady, and deserves no more back n forth.

Josh Barnett up in here?! Woah! Hi Josh! Hope to train under you some day.
Everyone can compete in these catch tournaments, BJJ guys have, Sambists have, college wrestlers have. You can use leglocks, you can use neck cranks.

You're the one who needs to put up or shut up. My recommendation is you stay put and hide out in Asia.
DAMNNNNN

KJ, do you know of any catch tournaments on the east coast US?

Last edited:
Wow, your shortest comment yet. That must be a record. And no, I'm not basing it on something I've just read on the internet. Since I'm an experienced writer I've actually reached out to people who have trained with you in the past, such as at Ryan Bow's Kaminari Dojo.

Run along now.

Curran Jacobs (USA) vs Amin Nazer (UK) from the recent Catch Wrestling Alliance: Revelation event.

https://youtu.be/saPXyzzetuE

Jacobs was the former captain of Michigan State University DI wrestling team, and has been with Catch Wrestling Los Angeles for about 2 years now.

I believe Nazer trains at The Snake Pit Wigan.

lol. What is Catch is up to debate, some take hardline approach, some more open to like the JMMA influenced 90s style as I am as well as Title Fight that ACTUALLY trained with Frank Shamrock. I did have to go work with my fighter that has his first amateur fight this weekend after only 6 months training. He will be giving up a lot of weight like 10kg and height in his fight, as well as I assume long wrestling and Sambo background to his Tajikistan opponent.

My background maybe not as solid as Joshes or as Pure Catch or whatever, but it certainly is much longer and more so than a lot of people selling certificates, starting associations, and what not. It certainly have more real knowledge than a guy like KJ that never trained. Even Josh was listed as Judo, commentators talked about his Judo in first UFCs. Matt Hume was Pankration. Pankration and Wrestling have been around a lot longer than CACC. Whether you consider Matt Hume or Erik Paulson Catch or not or pure enough is up to debate as they learned everything they could as I did. I would consider what them and their guys, and even Lions Den,were doing as Catch but others do not. Hume says it is Pankration, Paulson system is not just Catch and called Combat Submission Wrestling, as he too started in Judo, and trained with Gracies and Machados, Rickson and Rigan etc. Erik told me he did start CSW before he got his BJJ BB, because he was doing a lot of Japanese Combat Wrestling at the time and what he had to teach was different then just pure bjj.

I would like a detailed breakdown of Josh's training if he would provide it, not because of flame wars or negative debate, but out of genuine interest. However, all the training that influenced people especially from 93-2005 would be a lot and maybe hard to do. I literally drove corner to corner and all over my state to train with different guys, gyms, dojos, dungeons, basements, barns etc. You had to go everywhere and absorb whatever you could. Like how long Judo-I believe it was 2 yrs after 3 yrs HS wrestling. Then how much picking up whatever going with different guys like Reese and apparently Holt, and prob. all over like I and others in 90s had to. Then when to Matt Hume and for how long? Then when to Erik? How much training w Billy and people in Japan and when? Was it like for two weeks after Josh would fight or what just a lot of trips when fighting in Japan? I assume a lot was influenced by Pancrase guys and would like to know more about that. I have also asked KJ repeatedly for more info on Dick Cardinal, because he seemed to know his stuff from what I saw.

Personally I care more about how someone moves, the movement style, the weight distribution, and how they methodology would be in a real grappling match or MMA fight. I care about their technical understanding of human bio-mechanics, how to twist the body, joints, and ride heavy. I am knowledgeable in this. I got that from somewhere. KJ would endorse Erik as Catch, but leaves out Gene LeBell and Gokor whom I believe Erik learned a good amount from as have I. Also, Ishikawa says Shooto is Shooto not Catch, so where did Erik learn his Catch from if not from Gene? Edit-not sure how much he trained with Larry prob a lot but I believe Larry learned from Gene, and think it was much later on when he trained with Billy R. and not sure how much. Perhaps Erik or Josh could clarify how much training Erik did with Gene and Gokor. Is Josh Catch? I think we all say yes, because he is a bamf, and put more mat time in training w Catch guys and JMMA fighters than other. He has competed, been there and done that, trained a long time, and that is what HE chooses to represent. He could have called his style Judo or just wrestling or more so Pankration had HE chose. Also, he trained less bjj then I, yet his catch coach Erik trained extensively in it since very early on and is a bb and fore sure CSW is influenced by BJJ, just as it is Catch, Judo, and somewhat Sambo. I have never hidden the fact I have been influenced by all grappling arts, but mostly influenced by the 90s JMMA Catch style, what I learned in Shooto, what I learned from Shooto and Pancrase fighters, what I learned from watching mostly Pancrase, then Shooto, then Rings and UWFi, what I learned from Gene Lebell etc. Did I fight in Pancrase often like Josh? No, but I did fight the KOP Kondo once as did he.

I am open about my training in other arts. First exposed a bit to wrestling, then Judo, just like Josh though not as long in those, before training everything I could. U had to go everywhere back in the 90s pretty much, to get what you could.

I forgot there was another older very knowledgeable JKD guy that invited me to train in his basement grappling with a group a few times. Do not recall his name, but yes he was Guro Dan cert. It was definitely Shooto type grappling, leglocks etc. I do remember showing them my theory on Straight Blasting/elbowing in the guard to my 2 on 2 heel hook which i much later filmed, and also how to high posture up like Fedor and Kondo did to land good GnP in the guard.

KJ passed himself everywhere forever as an expert and is hypocritical all the time. Guys more interested in online arguments, and taking screen shots, rather than actual Real Self-knowledge, real mat time tells you something.

I focus on and appreciate the techniques. What others interpretations of lineage and all that well that is just opinions. I do not want to waist energy and absorb others negative energy. Listen to what Erik has to say about whom he rolls with in the Rolled Up episode.

Are you fucking kidding me!? You're now combining your beef with KJ into my asking you to prove your claims in regards to Erik and then Shooto, and now you are asking me for MY credentials?

For one, try Google motherfucker. You can see all kinds of articles/interviews from not only me but from Billy Robinson, Erik, Matt Hume, Jim Harrison, and others I have trained under.

For second I'll write something down here later when I have the time to do so just to show you how that looks: verifying one's training background.

Lastly, "Joshes" is actually spelled "Josh's" as in the personal possessive.

Josh

in other news, that was a really great match.

hope they put more vids up.

They should be releasing more video. Can't wait to see Matt's match!!

Last edited:
Dan looks like he knows enough and can teach enough to know what he is doing but can I really trust a person whose every video is basically screaming "BUY MY VIDEOS, BUY MY BOOKS, PLEASE."

Remember a few years ago how we were all still kinda thinking Tony Cecchine was maybe still legit but we never really knew because there wasn't really verifiable information about how good or bad he was or because by the time a lot of us saw him on the internet his back was fucked? Or how basically every one of his guys swore up and down he was actually legit but we never saw it?

This situation is REMARKABLY similar. And every person deep down has to decide whether or not they think Dan is legit or not. Simples.

And the stupid thing about it? 5 fucking years ago people were still only able to train through fucking stupid videos we bought from Matt Hume or Tony Cecchine or the nascent Scientific Wrestling videos and all that jazz. Now we actually have people representing the sport and we still have people who come off more as salesmen and marketers trying to sell CACC instead of just... letting it be all out there.

Do you know how many times I've watched videos on catch wrestling techniques that end up being a plug for some person's book, website or seminar? Even the big guys in the scene (ISWA, Scientific Wrestling, the Snake Pit) they simply cannot just simple put out a video that shows how bad ass they are without trying to sell me something.

It is so much easier to just look at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu videos because most of them...they actually want to show off some new stuff they found, they want to share knowledge and sure, they would like to make money but it doesn't seem to be the overriding thing. It seems that like catch wrestling got into the hands of the wrong people, mainly like FYGM (fuck you, got mine) types who just seem to love to lord it over people's head that they got all this knowledge and but hey man, stop by my website or buy my DVD if you want to learn more.

I am more than happy to pay to learn but please for fuck's sake don't make it a massive hassle for me to even see if you are legit and I can place my trust in you.

In terms of keeping it light:

Anyone hear about The Wrestler 2? One of the companies I'm training with in Illinois might be in the movie. Unfortunately I don't think they will have space for an Asian man who is 6'0 and has a "dad bod".

Sad is resorting to name calling, especially at our age. I did say out of genuine interest and not in any negative kind of way, so no idea why there would be defensiveness. Just as far as first hand stories or timeline would be better than just the big pieces said by others out there. I would be most interested in hearing what is was like training in the 90s, when you branched out from just judo to the time training with Hume. The only thing I heard about then was what you said on JRE. Also, I would like to know about training back then with Pancrase guys, be that Sazuki or Funaki and the like, what training was like, how was wrestling positioning vs jumping on legs etc. What were guys like Sazuki and Funaki particularly good at in rolling with them? I thought others might like to hear it from you as well. Guess we will not be playing D&D anytime soon. You used to fight, and have skills, that is all the credentials I need. You certainly do not have to share, I was merely interested in hearing more from the source. Sorry if my net English grammar skills are not good enough for you're liking.

For VW bug=All my vids have been free, including seminar footage for awhile now. I am trying to re-up as best I can.

Just for the record on these particular technique combinations....No one ever taught me how to do an inside cradle or inside cradle counter to a bad standup to what I call a side gravity choke, no one taught me how to outside suicide cradle into a hip lock, no one taught me how to spiral ride to a real hammer lock though I guess that is just wrestling for a turnover in amateur, and no one taught me how to do a toe pull,not a reverse toe hold, in different kinds of half-guards. These r things I came up with, which to me is Catch Wrestling, where I took my sub/anatomy knowledge and figured out the sub opportunities from some common wrestling moves. 3 of those 4 are not common, and a contribution. Whether there is footage or pics of others doing 3 of those these things I do not know. Wait, actually also the Iowa Ride to Arm Triangle turnover from Side Turtle Ride I just filmed as well. Also, how to do a Perterson Roll into the body crunch thigh master bas crusher, as well as a funk roll pass into the same. So 6 out of 7 I do not think are common. I do not know if any of those have been put together before, even way back, other than the hammer lock.

From the couple of nights doing research I did, it seems to me Tony C was vilified a bit for business purposes by others as best I can tell. Shady practices, like stuff KJ has done to me, even fake accounts flaming on net, and other stuff all seemed to be done for one particular org from what I can tell sifting through the b.s.

I do know that Jason Godsey and Indiana Pancrase crew influenced by him and Iron bear, maybe including Chris Lytle and Alex Steibling, at least Godsey went to train with Tony C and I believe others did to. If Tony was teaching helpful stuff back then, stuff others really were not, than that means something. He does talk more than I, but his stuff for that time period, was different than elsewhere available. Godsey, and I think it was Stiebling, or maybe Lytle not for sure which I rolled with, did have some leglock knowledge many others outside Japan and Russia did not at that time IMO. Does anyone now what happened to Alex S?

Last edited:
Wait, so you never learned catch from anyone?

wow Nefti really? that is low trolling. You can and should do better than that. Even when you are instigating it is not usually that low.

wow Nefti really? that is low trolling. You can and should do better than that. Even when you are instigating it is not usually that low.

dan, I know from legit sources that you have skill. However, in that post it seem like you never learned from anyone, that you taught ourself.

Back