Cejudo should be in every GOAT discussion

Answer this question: If you dispute the claim that Henry should be in all GOAT discussions then offer up any fighter that you think could win the title in two divisions and successfully defend both titles......

An accomplishment that separates GOATS from greats.
In the divisions with the weakest competition - call a spade a spade.

"Some kind of weird circumstances" I disagree and think that you feel this way to discredit Cejudo. As a counter argument to your statements regarding the Moraes win, I would say Henry fought the #1 contender and made adjustments to stop him in the 2nd round.

I can appreciate that viewpoint. Different people see fights different ways. As mentioned, the marlon victory is probably his most solid win.

But right now there’s a lot of “what-ifs” regarding what he could have done. I think that if he chooses not to retire, he will continue to win and that legacy will grow. But through no fault of his own, he’s been the benefit of some luck. The DJ fight could have gone either way, and DJ gets traded right after so we never get the trilogy.

Only TJ knows how bad that weight cut hurt him, but it’s such a steep drop off in performance that it raises eyebrows.

And Cruz was a replacement for Aldo whose last fight was a loss in 2016, and again, the stoppage stains the fight for a lot of fans.

It is true that he won 2 belts and defended them once each (the marlon fight was a vacant win). But each of those defenses have huge question marks. Add in the fact we’ll never see a 3rd DJ fight and it paints a strange picture. Believe me when I’m saying this as a fan. I wanted him to do more, I wanted him to quash those question marks.

Answer this question: If you dispute the claim that Henry should be in all GOAT discussions then offer up any fighter that you think could win the title in two divisions and successfully defend both titles......

An accomplishment that separates GOATS from greats.
Many if they get to handpick their opponents. He defended his 125 belt against a guy that never fought at 125 and defended the 135 belt against a guy who hadn’t fought in 4 yrs. styles/timing of the fight has to be considered. The champ/champ shit isn’t more impressive than clearing out an entire division imo. Styles make fights. When you clear out a division you are beating every single style.

Look I know every fighter that wins is the new "p4p greatest fighter ever", but for me if he can go on a 15+ win streak and defend the belt against all comers and win in a clean way without weird things always happening, then I'll consider him

Hell of a run but far too short to be considered in the goat convo. 1 title defense in each division. GOATS have to clear out divisions. Cejudo avoided the majority of the killers at 135

Who's better at 135 than TJ, Moraes and Cruz?

Dillashaw hasn't won a fight since 2016. You think Cejudo should stick around to face the might of Funkmaster Sterling?

Who's better at 135 than TJ, Moraes and Cruz?

Dillashaw hasn't won a fight since 2016. You think Cejudo should stick around to face the might of Funkmaster Sterling?
He never fought tj at 135. Yan, sandhagen, and sterling are all better than a 35 yr old Cruz imo

If Weidman retired after the vitor fight would he be in the goat convo? Longevity matters. It’s smart/respectable to retire in your prime and on top. I’m not hating On him. He had an amazing run. It’s just not in the same class as GSP, Jones, and Anderson

Putting aside the argument that Cruz is not a prime guy, my point is that he has never had that big signature win without some kind of weird circumstance surrounding it. When I think of the term "Greatest of All Time", I think of big, exciting, dominant victories over top opponents, and yeah, you have to be a champion. Cejudo's arguably mos solid title match win was against Moraes, and even then it came after taking a beating initially, and Marlon gassing.
Marlon didn't just randomly gas. Henry beat the gas out of him. I'm not sure losing the first round should discredit your dominant win via finish in the third round..

The fact he did it in two weightclasses and also beat the #1 and #3 P4P in MM and TJ should count for something.

Guys like Stipe are fighting opponents 5 years past their best on the edge of retirement and people are calling him GOAT.
Well I am not calling Stipe a goat lol

But, like I said CCC accomplishments are very impressive. There is something to be said about multiple defenses against all types of fighters though. But he’s beaten a couple goats and defended each belt once so I respect the hell out of him. I would have liked to see him fight a couple more people is all.

I have huge hespetch for Hank but the longevity isn't there to be alongside the best. His 4 fight win streak is pretty damn impressive though. Moving up and finishing both Marlon and Dom is a big feather in his cap.

Back