Chael: weight advantage only helps with grappling

Well we just saw two equally skillful world class boxers square off on Saturday with one fighting up two weight classes. The year prior we saw two former gold medalists and amateur legends square off with one traveling up two weight classes. The larger guys, Errol Spence and Loma, dominated both times. When skill sets are equal, size matters.

Considering that Tyson Fury was knocked twice by a 40lbs lighter Wilder, makes sense.

10 minute video CLIFFS: Weight advantage really only helps with grappling. With stand-up, the smaller, quicker fighter shouldn't be considered an underdog merely because of size.

It's an interesting perspective. I'm not taking it as gospel or fact, nor am I dismissing it just because Chael is a tool.

But if it has any validity, would that change anyone's opinion on Pettis v Wonderboy?

He is mostly right each weight helps with the clinch which some consider standup striking.

Why are there weightclasses in boxing and kickboxing?

I havent seen the video but yea weight matters in boxing and kickboxing.

The power gap can be huge if u skip multiple weight classes.

Not so much 1 or 2 weight classes apart in boxing which is why boxing has many multi weight champs. Also they have more weight classes Too many imo.

But overall i rather a bigger opponent strikes with me than grapples with me.

it's so dumb it's almost hard to believe, but hey it's internet...
Force, momentum, collisions. Mass of objects. Hand of HW is heavier than LW, limbs are longer...

I love Chael but let's do a little thought experiment.

Oscar De La Hoya was taller than Mike Tyson and had a longer reach. They both fought only stand-up, only hands, no wrestling or grappling, and very little clinch work. Both very skilled fighters, and both were fast, but De La Hoya was the better tactician, was better conditioned, and showed more toughness in the face of adversity.

The only real advantage that Tyson would have was weight (and the strength and power that comes with it).

So how do we figure that fight would have gone?

Yeah that's why floyd and pac went up and became hw champs. Since only speed matters in striking. Oh wait.... that's fucking retarded.

He can't chalk up Till's size difference to "weight difference" Till clearly has longer limbs and YES in a striking affair the guy with the longer limbs obviously gets an advantage because of it. Then he goes on to compare Till to 400lbs men who can't fight. Nope. Not agreeing with much of that.

10 minute video CLIFFS: Weight advantage really only helps with grappling. With stand-up, the smaller, quicker fighter shouldn't be considered an underdog merely because of size.

It's an interesting perspective. I'm not taking it as gospel or fact, nor am I dismissing it just because Chael is a tool.

But if it has any validity, would that change anyone's opinion on Pettis v Wonderboy?

Lol chael such a Conor shill , now he is making excuses for his loss because Khabib is bigger and a grappler

Uhm Jon Jones...
Case closed
Easily the best example of how long limbs can be utilized in grappling for advantages.

This one does go both ways though, because you can turn the other way and say how DC utilizes his lower center of gravity to get under guys, just like his fight against Barnett.

But IMO the longer limbs have much more upside.

1. Yes, weight matters more in grappling.

2. Yes, weight is a significant factor in striking. Using his logic, there shouldn't be weight classes in boxing, which is obviously absurd.

3. Muhammad Ali was not 198 pounds.

Of course size and weight matter in striking as well, but he does have a point. Just look at the champ vs. champ fights of late: McGregor vs. Alvarez, Nunes vs. Cyborg, Dillashaw vs. Cejundo, Cormier vs. Stipe – the fighter from the lighter weight class won what was largely a striking match, and I think a big part of it has to do with the heavier fighter having a hard time adjusting to the speed difference.

I'm by no means super-knowledgeable about striking, but my experience as a small non-athletic guy is that a disadvantage in reach is easier to get around than a difference in speed. Cormier does really well at HW doing just that, for example. Speed can also be dealt with, of course. The way to get around being slower is usually to make it an ugly grind, to grapple and get the clinch. But if that's not your thing, then being slower can be quite tricky. I guess one can rely on counters and timing, but that also becomes hard against someone who is faster than you. Wonderboy isn't exactly a fighter known for his dirty boxing. I can see him having a harder time with Pettis than people expect him to.

I guess being the faster fighter in a striker vs. striker matchup paid off. Who would have thought. ;-)

Of course size and weight matter in striking as well, but he does have a point. Just look at the champ vs. champ fights of late: McGregor vs. Alvarez, Nunes vs. Cyborg, Dillashaw vs. Cejundo, Cormier vs. Stipe – the fighter from the lighter weight class won what was largely a striking match, and I think a big part of it has to do with the heavier fighter having a hard time adjusting to the speed difference.

I'm by no means super-knowledgeable about striking, but my experience as a small non-athletic guy is that a disadvantage in reach is easier to get around than a difference in speed. Cormier does really well at HW doing just that, for example. Speed can also be dealt with, of course. The way to get around being slower is usually to make it an ugly grind, to grapple and get the clinch. But if that's not your thing, then being slower can be quite tricky. I guess one can rely on counters and timing, but that also becomes hard against someone who is faster than you. Wonderboy isn't exactly a fighter known for his dirty boxing. I can see him having a harder time with Pettis than people expect him to.

Back