Media Chandler: I would beat Islam Makhachev in a wrestling match

Cheatr Pan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
https://www.mmamania.com/2023/2/2/2...beat-islam-makhachev-in-a-wrestling-match-mma

“I’m not in a position to talk about how badly I would beat Islam in a wrestling match, but if I was going to wrestle Islam, I do believe [I’d win],” Chandler said on Believe You Me. “They’re just two completely different styles and I didn’t wrestle a lot of international [guys], quite frankly, but I think with the Russian-Dagestani guys that I have wrestled in my gym — that I’m not saying hold a candle to Islam — it’s a different style.

“In my opinion, good old-fashioned American wrestling works very well against it as long as you’re able to withstand that hand-fighting,” he continued. “They are very strong and I imagine Islam is very strong in that hand-fighting category. They just feel different when they grab you. But I think I beat Islam in a wrestling match.”

So show us by fighting Arman Tsarukyan. Isn't this guy 2-3 in the UFC and he's campaigning for a 2nd title shot? And the only guys he beaten have losing records in the UFC over the last few years too. Remember when Michael Chandler didn't know who Islam Makhachev was and didn't think fighting him would make sense? Now he wants a title shot vs Islam and asks for a title shot leading up to and after every fight? Jesus this has gotten annoying.

Last edited:
https://www.mmamania.com/2023/2/2/2...beat-islam-makhachev-in-a-wrestling-match-mma

“I’m not in a position to talk about how badly I would beat Islam in a wrestling match, but if I was going to wrestle Islam, I do believe [I’d win],” Chandler said on Believe You Me. “They’re just two completely different styles and I didn’t wrestle a lot of international [guys], quite frankly, but I think with the Russian-Dagestani guys that I have wrestled in my gym — that I’m not saying hold a candle to Islam — it’s a different style.

“In my opinion, good old-fashioned American wrestling works very well against it as long as you’re able to withstand that hand-fighting,” he continued. “They are very strong and I imagine Islam is very strong in that hand-fighting category. They just feel different when they grab you. But I think I beat Islam in a wrestling match.”
Too bad for him they are both signed to fight in an MMA promotion. Also Chandler probably thinks he beats him in MMA which 99/100 he doesn't.

Chandler ducks Islam a second time even if it's a title shot.

So show us by fighting Arman Tsarukyan. Isn't this guy 2-3 in the UFC and he's campaigning for a 2nd title shot? And the only guys he fought have losing records in the UFC over the last few hears too. Remember when Michael Chandler didn't know who Islam Makhachev was and didn't think fighting him would make sense? Now he wants a title shot vs Islam and asks for a title shot leading up to and after every fight? Jesus this has gotten annoying.

He's a tool this guy.
He acts like the UFC owes him something.

Sure thing Mike.
We believe you.
Pretty sure I can hand Khabib his first loss too. Good ol Sherdog wrestling should do the trick.

You got this sir, I believe in you lol.

Honestly not a crazy claim.
Pure wrestling is a different style and Chandler was a NCAA div 1 wrestler. He isn’t some McDojo black belt.

Wrestling match I think Chandler plays the system to score points and win. In a full on grappling match I think Chandler gasses out and gets controlled and subbed.

Back