Changing BJJ/MMA School

Ratslab

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
i am a 25 yr old whitebelt and started BJJ/MMA at the first gym I walked into during the summer of this year (2016) and I am scheduled to be promoted to blue belt in April (after 9 months). I train roughly 2-4 times a week and have only taken a couple weeks off due to minor injury and personal issues. I'm looking for some advice on my current situation. I'm considering changing my academy. it’s a small MMA gym with a BJJ black belt instructor who also teaches striking based on his previous MMA background. My first concern is almost all of the students at my current school are older hobbyists who do not compete, we have no competition team, and only start rolls standing and do takedowns one week every few months. We have one mma fighter who does not compete bjj. He’s the only other student under 30. I’ve competed once during my time here and went alone without a teammate or coach. I did ok in the tournament but feel I could have benefited from having more preparation. My second concern is the way in which we are promoted. We are told months in advance when we will be promoted and charged a fee on promotion day. We call it a test but there is no real test it’s just a timed roll and no failing. For blue belt its $100. We are also charged $30 for each stripe. I didn’t learn about paying for promotions until my third stripe. Apparently the first two stripes he gives are free. My training partners and the belt promotion system here have me questioning not only my current progress but my future progress in regards to competing. Standing back and looking at my time here I have begun to wonder if it is the right place for me. I would like to leave amiably as I harbor no ill will towards any of my training partners or instructors. I’d like to even go back if I wanted. Thing is, I signed a new contract last month for 6 months and will have to buy it out if I leave for a $100 and im expected to receive my blue belt next month. I feel like It is definitely poor timing on my end but I can’t shake this feeling of checking other gyms out. Is it for there to be a fee for promotions? Also any advice on switching schools and possibly even stay within the same affiliation without any would be appreciated.

-thanks

Charged $30 for athletic tape rofl.

I'd definitely change gyms ASAP.

Tough situation. Never do long term contract ever from this point on.

You may have to just suck it up and finish it up.

I have never heard of being charged for a stripe. I have heard of schools charging a small fee for a belt. I would be looking elsewhere.

When you do decide to leave just tell the instructor why you are leaving. Tell him you think you want a more competition focused school. Clearly you are paying the guy (for everything) so you do not owe him anything. You are a customer and you can leave when you want. Just wait for the prepaid time to be over.

I've never been charged for belts or stripes. Now that doesn't mean your teacher is illegitimate, but its definitely not a common practice.

Personally I would also be uncomfortable with being told ahead of time that i would be promoted. Surprise promotions are just much more fun.

I'm also not sure one should be promoted to blue after only 9 months in, It happens, but usually the student has to be exceptional and very committed. For such an early promotion at my academy, you would need to have a background in other arts, show up 5 times a week and have wins in local tournaments. And my school isn't even that hardcore as far as competition based schools go.

Anyway, what i would do in your situation - I would probably stay until the end of my contract and take the promotion...(being honest here). You put in time, and your instructor thinks you deserve that blue, so take it. You are already in the contract, it would take same amount of money to break it as it would to pay for that damn belt anyway. Just don't have any delusions about your standing and be prepared to catch some tough rolls at your new academy (it sounds like you want to leave, so leave after your contract expires), don't worry about the belt too much, it's only blue and you will grow into it.

them's are my 2c

Do this and handle your future business this way and life will be easier. Go in and talk to your current instructor and let him know you are leaving to go to another BJJ school that is more competition focused and is at the tournments as a team. It's nothing personal to him, you've learned alot from him and appreciate the time and effort. But for now you want to do more standing starts, work with a team that is at the tournaments and that's what fits your long term goals.

Thank him again, and regardless of what he says you handled your business like a grown ass man.

But is it good training though? I still it better than the next place? If it was me, and the training was good, I'd stay there, when it came to promotion time say, "nah I'm good, I don't want to spend the money. I'll stick with 2 stripes" smash the new blue belts, then leave when my contract was done.
If the training is good and the only thing is competitionsand money, do the completions by yourself and don't pay extra. If you've signed a contract then you break it, he's within his rights to be pissed.

I charge $50 for belt promotion

Charging for stripes is laughable but some people do it.

Times must really hard. Lol

Charging for stripes and $100 for a blue belt promotion.... what

Back