Opinion Changing the rules for voting: your thoughts

The blindfold is actually the weird part of that story. Did they let you smoke one last cigarette as well? ;)
I too have had wisdom teeth out with nothing but local anesthetic, but sans blindfold.
That makes some sense in that most people listen to music or watch a movie during dental surgery. But yeah, odd choice in blindfold lol

In a new country I think direct democracy with a point based voting system would be ideal. Have people who contribute, are invested in and have a lot more to risk having a bigger vote for the legislation they want.

The current system of one person one vote is theoretically fair, until you realize that a completely uninformed and ignorant person can nullify the vote of someone who spends their life researching and refining their positions. In my opinion that is not fair, although the implementation of making it fair has some hurdles to it.

Especially nowadays where the two parties are basically cliques in high school and your vote is essentially a signal to the cool high school kids in your area. We need to disassociate politics with social standing, but given that the Democrats have basically overtaken most news media, Hollywood, the music industry, fashion, big city life in general, etc.., They have been leveraging the social status of being a democrat to an extraordinary extent for a few decades now.
So you would be ok with some people having more votes than you?

The blindfold is actually the weird part of that story. Did they let you smoke one last cigarette as well? ;)
I too have had wisdom teeth out with nothing but local anesthetic, but sans blindfold.
Had a wisdom tooth pulled with local. No blindfold. I asked the doc if I could keep it and she said no, it’s biohazard waste, they don’t allow it anymore. I said well I may need a few minutes alone with the tooth afterwards to say goodbye if that’s ok. She gave me the strangest look.

oh the tooth came out like taking toast out of a toaster. No problem.

A. No
B. No, but it would be kind of shocking at how many people would fail it.
C. They already do in the form of the electoral college. Really the only votes that "count" in presidential elections are swing state independents, myself included.
D. Once sentence is completed.

In a new country I think direct democracy with a point based voting system would be ideal. Have people who contribute, are invested in and have a lot more to risk having a bigger vote for the legislation they want.

The current system of one person one vote is theoretically fair, until you realize that a completely uninformed and ignorant person can nullify the vote of someone who spends their life researching and refining their positions. In my opinion that is not fair, although the implementation of making it fair has some hurdles to it.

Especially nowadays where the two parties are basically cliques in high school and your vote is essentially a signal to the cool high school kids in your area. We need to disassociate politics with social standing, but given that the Democrats have basically overtaken most news media, Hollywood, the music industry, fashion, big city life in general, etc.., They have been leveraging the social status of being a democrat to an extraordinary extent for a few decades now.

What you describe happens though! All across the political spectrum!
There’s an element of pay-to-play in politics.
Wealthy individuals have a big advantage if they run for office. They have a huge influence with candidates through the money they contribute. They have an in with lobbyists.

It will of course depend on actual job, but by and large, folks in the military aren't exactly making less than the median American.

I have actually. You're describing a rather mundane medical procedure. It's quite common for wisdom teeth removal to be local anesthetic in the US. The precautionary part is less common, but more so because most insurance won't cover it.

It will depend on the MOS and specialty. But the main reason the military has a retention issue is because it's so damn big in the US. That screws up the demand side of the employment problem. Which again, I don't see why creating a special military class with even more political power somehow fixes. It's corrosive to civil society.

Most metro areas compensate police quite well. I'm gonna guess you're ignoring the not so minor perk of pensions in your employment comparisons.

By and large they are all doing jobs that pay alot better than the average amerocan. Armed security earns a fair chunk more than the average pay in America, and literally every person in the military does that

No smoking, and I was also strapped to the chair. Is that not standard?

I also got to drive my ass back to the boat to give my. .. sick time ( I forget the name) to medical in person, and catch a bunch of crap on the quarterdeck for not asking to come on properly from OOD. just a dipshit chief on a power trip, like always.

Fuck I hated the military.

No smoking, and I was also strapped to the chair. Is that not standard?

I also got to drive my ass back to the boat to give my. .. sick time ( I forget the name) to medical in person, and catch a bunch of crap on the quarterdeck for not asking to come on properly from OOD. just a dipshit chief on a power trip, like always.

Fuck I hated the military.

Yeah, but now you’re a badass who can face some level of torture

in 4 more years the repugs will want to change the voting age to 29.

not hard to figure out why. all 50 states would have been blue in the 2020 election as well as the midterms if gen z were the only ones allowed to vote. this is a fact that i'm sure that tucker will be forgetting to tell you. they are about to get blown out and all they can do is try to restrict peoples constitutional rights just to try to minimize the impact.

Last edited:
So you would be ok with some people having more votes than you?
If they are more qualified then of course. I don't vote anyways because it's a waste of my time, I've never seen or heard of a candidate losing by one vote, and the candidate I would go for often isn't one of the leading two candidates anyways.

What you describe happens though! All across the political spectrum!
There’s an element of pay-to-play in politics.
Wealthy individuals have a big advantage if they run for office. They have a huge influence with candidates through the money they contribute. They have an in with lobbyists.
I agree, their influence is essentially buying votes. A point system would not work exclusively on wealth. It would have things like military service (which rich people rarely do), community service, an optional test to determine how knowledgeable you are on the country and basic logic, etc.

Obviously devising the point system can benefit someone if it is biased in a certain way. Which is why I also support having the point system voted on every 4 years as well. Essentially when you vote you are given the ability to spread the points out as you wish. Something like: across these 100 categories, distribute 10 points. Then the average of everyone's distributions are taken and that becomes the distribution of the point system for the next election. That way people can decide what they find important and everyone has a vote deciding that as well.

A.) Do you support having the voting age raised to 25? No - You can be forced to go to war means you should be able to vote.
B.) Do you support having polling tests? Nope. Can be easily manipulated.
C.) Do you support a point based system that gives certain voters more power? Nope. Can be easily manipulated.
D.) Should felons be allowed to vote? If they have to pay taxes, they should be able to vote.

I think we'd see more of the changes we want to see if people knew how their vote works. I think it's a right and an obligation of every citizen to understand how their government has come into power, and how to remove those people from power.

Must be 18 and one of the following
1. have served in the military
2. own your primary residence
3. have an undergrad degree

in 4 more years the repugs will want to change the voting age to 29.

not hard to figure out why. all 50 states would have been blue in the 2020 election as well as the midterms if gen z were the only ones allowed to vote. this is a fact that i'm sure that tucker will be forgetting to tell you. they are about to get blown out and all they can do is try to restrict peoples constitutional rights just to try to minimize the impact.
just wait until they let us vote online

I agree, their influence is essentially buying votes. A point system would not work exclusively on wealth. It would have things like military service (which rich people rarely do), community service, an optional test to determine how knowledgeable you are on the country and basic logic, etc.

Obviously devising the point system can benefit someone if it is biased in a certain way. Which is why I also support having the point system voted on every 4 years as well. Essentially when you vote you are given the ability to spread the points out as you wish. Something like: across these 100 categories, distribute 10 points. Then the average of everyone's distributions are taken and that becomes the distribution of the point system for the next election. That way people can decide what they find important and everyone has a vote deciding that as well.
How many votes do people get to vote for who they want to have more votes

A.) Do you support having the voting age raised to 25?
B.) Do you support having polling tests?
C.) Do you support a point based system that gives certain voters more power?
D.) Should felons be allowed to vote?

Four simple questions that require y/n.

I thought it was interesting that in the 25+ to vote thread, as well as the Elon wants to give certain voters more power post, support for changing the rules for voting had garnered some steam. Polling surrounding this topic seems to be lacking, so this is the Sherdog™️ unofficial poll.

US government

A.) Do you support having the voting age raised to 25? - No
B.) Do you support having polling tests? - No
C.) Do you support a point based system that gives certain voters more power? - No
D.) Should felons be allowed to vote? - Yes, after all probation and maybe a set number of years afterwards.

There's moron voters on both side. I can't support denying anyone the right to vote.

Back