Chappaquiddick (2018) - positive reviews, interesting story but no buzz and poor box office

G

Guestx

I saw this one today and it's easily one of the better films that we've gotten so far this year. And yet, there is no buzz at all around it.

It tells the real-life story of Ted Kennedy's involvement in a 1969 car accident that took the life of a young campaign strategist. This is not an event that I knew anything about going into the film but apparently it was a big deal at the time.

It has a 77% critics' score on RT and also has a 73% audience score, so the reception from those who have actually seen it has been positive. But the problem is that almost no one's going to see it. In the 2 1/2 weeks it's been out, it's only made $14 million.

I found it to be an interesting and well-directed film about a piece of history that seems largely forgotten today. My only complaint is that it runs a bit slow.

Overall I would recommend it and can say that of all the films I've seen so far this year, this is definitely a higher-tier entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really good. Jason Clarke is the type of guy who delivers pretty much every time out and I thought he was a great choice as Ted Kennedy. First serious role I've seen Ed Helms in as well and he was very good, too. Bruce Dern was very effective in his brief screentime. That was actually pretty chilling and detestable when he calls his father before the accident is reported and

and you just hear Joe Kennedy, barely able to utter the word, merely say "ALIBI." If you want a window into what kind of unethical shit was going on in order to salvage Teddy's political career, look no further than that scene and the first scene where he goes into the room with Robert Macnamara and all the lawyers/advisers.

It was a very well made film with a compelling story and strong performances. Very much recommended.

It's really good. Jason Clarke is the type of guy who delivers pretty much every time out and I thought he was a great choice as Ted Kennedy. First serious role I've seen Ed Helms in as well and he was very good, too. Bruce Dern was very effective in his brief screentime. That was actually pretty chilling and detestable when he calls his father before the accident is reported and

and you just hear Joe Kennedy, barely able to utter the word, merely say "ALIBI." If you want a window into what kind of unethical shit was going on in order to salvage Teddy's political career, look no further than that scene and the first scene where he goes into the room with Robert Macnamara and all the lawyers/advisers.

It was a very well made film with a compelling story and strong performances. Very much recommended.

Agreed about Ed Helms. I think this was the first purely dramatic role that I've seen him in and he surprised me. It's official: The dude can handle drama.

Regarding your spoiler, just imagine what you would find out if somehow you had the ability to reveal all of the Kennedy family's secrets. It would be fucking crazy.

Ugh that's disappointing but hardly surprising.

The truth is, I don't even really think the film makes Ted Kennedy out to look THAT bad.

Okay, sure, the guy took some steps to protect his career and reputation. But at the end of the day what happened was an accident.

What were your thoughts? Did you walk away from it feeling very negatively about Ted or no?

This is something I've been wondering about.

Are a lot of people just not even aware of this film's existence?
In fairness, I don't live in the states (or an English speaking country), so I only hear about movies from my own random internet searches, this site, or the random expat I meet that happens to recommend something.

In fairness, I don't live in the states (or an English speaking country), so I only hear about movies from my own random internet searches, this site, or the random expat I meet that happens to recommend something.

Where the fuck do you live?

The truth is, I don't even really think the film makes Ted Kennedy out to look THAT bad.

Okay, sure, the guy took some steps to protect his career and reputation. But at the end of the day what happened was an accident.

What were your thoughts? Did you walk away from it feeling very negatively about Ted or no?

Interestingly, I also thought he came out of it looking less bad than some others did. They actively showed the remorse and sadness that he experienced and also made it clear that he was really tore up over what had happened. I can appreciate that they showed him as someone who had a soul and a conscience.
They also tried to play up the sympathy for him by showing that he was the sole surviving son of a father who had him lowest on the totem pole.

That said, even though it was an accident, he was very likely legally over the limit, which makes it an accident for which his irresponsible actions played a major factor. Many of his actions in terms of failing to report and then looking to spin the story as positively as he could to preserve his prospects were very problematic to me, but I thought they made the case that Ted was at least bothered by things and struggling with how he would move forward regarding the situation as opposed to many of those around him- father and friends included- who viewed Mary Jo as nothing but an after thought and were solely consumed with preserving presidential prospects and keeping him from going to jail.

One of the most telling moments in the film was when Olivia Thirlby's character, presumably a friend of Mary Jo's, hears about the accident and her death and yet the first thing that she says is, "How can we help the senator?"

That 'accident' resulted in the death of a young woman.

Kennedy was driving drunk with the victim in the passenger seat, therefore he was completely responsible.

Bare minimum - he's guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

But, since he's 'connected,' he never even charged, goes on to have an honorable career as 'The Lion of The Senate.'

Interestingly, I also thought he came out of it looking less bad than some others did. They actively showed the remorse and sadness that he experienced and also made it clear that he was really tore up over what had happened. I can appreciate that they showed him as someone who had a soul and a conscience.
They also tried to play up the sympathy for him by showing that he was the sole surviving son of a father who had him lowest on the totem pole.

That said, even though it was an accident, he was very likely legally over the limit, which makes it an accident for which his irresponsible actions played a major factor. Many of his actions in terms of failing to report and then looking to spin the story as positively as he could to preserve his prospects were very problematic to me, but I thought they made the case that Ted was at least bothered by things and struggling with how he would move forward regarding the situation as opposed to many of those around him- father and friends included- who viewed Mary Jo as nothing but an after thought and were solely consumed with preserving presidential prospects and keeping him from going to jail.

One of the most telling moments in the film was when Olivia Thirlby's character, presumably a friend of Mary Jo's, hears about the accident and her death and yet the first thing that she says is, "How can we help the senator?"

The way his dad treated him was very bothersome. When his dad slapped him I kind of wanted to see Ted dropkick him out of his wheelchair.

Damage control was obviously the name of the game here. But I was somewhat sympathetic to that.

What happened had happened. There was no way to undo it. You can just move forward.

That was probably their attitude.

That 'accident' resulted in the death of a young woman.

Kennedy was driving drunk with the victim in the passenger seat, therefore he was completely responsible.

Bare minimum - he's guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

But, since he's 'connected,' he never even charged, goes on to have an honorable career as 'The Lion of The Senate.'

That's true, but hey, she chose to get in that passenger seat. I think that when you're drunk, if you get in the car with another drunk person, you're accepting the risks.

That's true, but hey, she chose to get in that passenger seat. I think that when you're drunk, if you get in the car with another drunk person, you're accepting the risks.

Drivers are legally liable for the passengers they transport, drunk or not, driver or passenger.

And he escaped the submerged car, leaving her to breathe the pocket of air left in the back window - until she died.

If YOU or I comitted the same crime, no prosecutor in the country would accept 'She willingly got in the car, so she's personally responsible, right?' as a legal defense.

But, because Ted was a member of the wealthy, political, and powerful Kennedy family, he's never arrested, it never hits the front page of every newspaper in the country, and his political career isn't effected.

He even came close to winning the Democrat Nomination to be President around a decade later.

Fat, drunk asshole killed somebody. And he also changed immigration law and flooded the US with illegals killing countless more. Fucking fat traitor.

Drivers are legally liable for the passengers they transport, drunk or not, driver or passenger.

And he escaped the submerged car, leaving her to breathe the pocket of air left in the back window - until she died.

If YOU or I comitted the same crime, no prosecutor in the country would accept 'She willingly got in the car, so she's personally responsible, right?' as a legal defense.

But, because Ted was a member of the wealthy, political, and powerful Kennedy family, he's never arrested, it never hits the front page of every newspaper in the country, and his political career isn't effected.

He even came close to winning the Democrat Nomination to be President around a decade later.

I'm just talking about my personal feelings on the matter, not legalities.

I'll put it this way: I'm sure most of us here, at one time or another, have driven a vehicle while over the legal limit. I'm sure we've also probably rode with people who were over the limit at one time or another while coming back from the bar.

If I were in the passenger seat on such an occasion and my friend wrecked and injured me, do you really think it would be justified for me to wake up in the hospital and be like, "That fucking asshole! He drove while drunk and injured me!" Of course not. I knew the situation when I got in the car and therefore assumed the risks. Whether that stands up legally or whatever is immaterial. The situation is still what it is.

Chappaquiddick sounds like a shitty Harry Potter ripoff or some SJW shit about Native American art. They should've called it 'Ted Kennedy Was Involved In a Mysterious Car Accident' or something

Chappaquiddick sounds like a shitty Harry Potter ripoff or some SJW shit about Native American art. They should've called it 'Ted Kennedy Was Involved In a Mysterious Car Accident' or something

If you stay for the end credits scenes, you'll see how it ties in to Hogwarts.

Back