Chappelle's Show is not funny

I've only recently discovered Dave Chappelle in the past few years thanks to his excellent Netflix specials. I can't think of anyone whose delivery is as good as his and his way of telling a story and mixing opinion with comedy is unmatched.

So I went back to watch his old Comedy Central show. It is not funny. Like. Barely a chuckle not funny. Like, this is painfully stupid not funny. Perhaps it was hilarious when it was cutting-edge 20 years ago, but...

I do remember the Wayne Brady skit being hilarious, but about 9 eps into the first season and I'm quite disappointed.

I welcome your derision and I hope not to be banned.

TLDR: Cheers to Chappelle's stand-up. Jeers to his Comedy Central show.
Watching something outside of the specific time period and saying it's not funny is meaningless.

It's the same thing as calling Seinfeld unoriginal because you finally watched it after watching all the shows that stole from it.

I don't think he's that funny too. He's a smart guy no doubt and he can speak very well. I remember his speech to Jon Stewart. What a brilliant speech that was.

As for his jokes, he's alright. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

God damn I love a Black man that can speak well.

Practically every episode had a classic skit on it. That show was one of those moments in culture where everyone is into something. I remember I was a freshmen in college when the Rick James skit happened. You couldn’t go ten feet without hearing someone say “I’m Rick James Bitch!”.

That part was really annoying tbh. But the show was absolutely brilliant and one of a kind. One of the few shows that everyone was tuning in to see when a new episode aired

I've only recently discovered Dave Chappelle in the past few years thanks to his excellent Netflix specials. I can't think of anyone whose delivery is as good as his and his way of telling a story and mixing opinion with comedy is unmatched.

So I went back to watch his old Comedy Central show. It is not funny. Like. Barely a chuckle not funny. Like, this is painfully stupid not funny. Perhaps it was hilarious when it was cutting-edge 20 years ago, but...

I do remember the Wayne Brady skit being hilarious, but about 9 eps into the first season and I'm quite disappointed.

I welcome your derision and I hope not to be banned.

TLDR: Cheers to Chappelle's stand-up. Jeers to his Comedy Central show.
Agreed. His standup is excellent, but chapelle show does nothing for me. Except the racial draft.

fuck-yo-couch-fuck-you.gif

I disagree,

some of his skits were absolute comic genius.

the race draft
Clayton Bigsby
Plead the FiF
the MAD real world,

absolutely brilliant

The gay America sketch with the gay Klansman still kills me.

True Hollywood stories, great moments in hook up history, and when keepin it real goes wrong are gold too.

Last edited:
My friends/teammates and I in college used to quote it all of the time. I went to see Charlie Murphy, Ashy Larry, and some other comedian do stand up when they came to our school.

<{outtahere}>

Still cracks me up.

Yeah "dated" is the best way to describe Chappelle. I can see why he got the praise he got when he got it. But today with meme culture hes very ordinary.

Could argue he was the best stand up comedian like the kind who perform at a comedy club but that's like the laugh track sitcom at this point. He can't compete with comedians who know meme culture.
Meme culture?
Yea because how could stand up comedy compete with Dilbert and Family Circus.

Fuck outta here thinking a picture with writing on it, is anything new. Lame ass.

Eddie Murphys brother is hilarious..

The pimp episode, the wife swap episode, the James Brown stories, I can go on.. epic

I was thinking about this the other day but it’s been long enough that I think I’m going to go back and rewatch the show from start to finish. I have forgotten a lot of the other skits that aren’t as popular.

Not sure I could get along with someone personally if they didn’t find Chappelle funny.

Back