Charles Oliveira Doesn’t Think It’s 'Fair' to Face Islam Makhachev in Abu Dhabi Again

Is he right?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-1_14-17-1.png

Going into enemy territory to reclaim the lightweight title wasn’t Charles Oliveira’s first choice.

Oliveira will challenge Islam Makhachev for the 155-pound belt at the Ultimate Fighting Championship's annual event in Abu Dhabi next month. However, UFC 294 on Oct. 21 isn’t the first time Oliveira and Makhachev will meet at the Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi.

The Brazilian was on an 11-fight win streak and the uncrowned champ of the 155-pound division when Makhachev submitted him almost exactly a year prior at the same venue. Even back then, Oliveira had openly voiced his displeasure at having to go to Abu Dhabi, which Makhachev’s mentor and teammate Khabib Nurmagomedov famously labeled “our territory.”

The Brazilian also doesn’t think it's “necessarily fair” that the rematch is taking place in Abu Dhabi. However, having been in the fight game for a long time, "do Bronx" understands his position as a challenger well.

“I don’t necessarily think it’s fair, but it’s the game,” Oliveira said through an interpreter in an interview with My MMA News. “That’s where the champion is. He calls the shots. But I’m coming back for my belt wherever that is.”

Oliveira was originally plotting for the matchup to take place when the UFC returns to his hometown of Sao Paulo after four years on Nov. 4.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...ace-Islam-Makhachev-in-Abu-Dhabi-Again-191240

He's right but he knows it's out of his control and he just needs to focus on winning. To be fair to Islam he did defend his belt against Volk in Australia his last fight so that might not have been particularly fair either. It's just how shit goes.

Is it the case that zero of Oliveira's title fights have taken place in Brazil? Pretty messed up if so. And it does seem like Abu Dhabi is the kind of place to try and do favors for their boy

That said, he's lucky to get this rematch after just 1 win

Not lucky. He took out the only other clear contender, making himself the only viable option.

“I don’t necessarily think it’s fair, but it’s the game,” Oliveira said through an interpreter in an interview with My MMA News. “That’s where the champion is. He calls the shots. But I’m coming back for my belt wherever that is.”

Some will just read the title, but here's more of that quote.

It's pretty difficult to read and/or endorse any Sherdog "news" tbh, always the same... Nonsense writing and/or clickbait almost always. Charles didn't mean what the title meant, that's pretty accurate to say. He was pretty straightforward with 0 excuses or victimism. But of course Sherdog thinks different lol. Go figure.

Is it the case that zero of Oliveira's title fights have taken place in Brazil? Pretty messed up if so. And it does seem like Abu Dhabi is the kind of place to try and do favors for their boy

That said, he's lucky to get this rematch after just 1 win

Charles literally has a win over every other top 5 fighter.

Back