Charles Oliveira Won Because Dan Miragliotta Was The Referee

I don't think there was ever a point where the fight would have been stopped.
Maybe that one point where he was on his knees taking some punches but he quickly got to guard and defended
Dan Hooker was in the exact same position against Chandler and the ref let that go for a while before stopping it

in the replay, he wasn't really taking that much ground and pound, even when he was on his knees swinging his head back and forth. It just looked bad, but chandler only landed a few good ones.

I think you are right. Herb would have fucked that one up.

Dan Miragliotta did fine. Blame Chandler not for letting Oliveira stand up when he had him rocked in Round 1. Not to take anything away from Charles awesome comeback performance and win, but Michael Chandler snatched defeat from the jaws of victory a bit there.

No chance Herb Dean would have let that continue. He's either terrible or on the take, and we know the ufc preferred for chandler to win so it would have been stopped in the first when he was winning.
All these fights need to be allowed to go on longer so the losers can stop crying about early stoppages.

Charles beat the shit out of Chandler , get over it

Dan reffed that fight basically perfectly.

Oliveira still clearly had his wits about him and he stopped the fight basically the exact moment that Chandler showed no evidence of being able to fight back.

I agree. I also think Oliveria was consistently defending himself, there wasn't enough there for even the most trigger happy ref to stop the fight.

Peterson is the better than early type. Don’t let the Cruz debacle fool you. Somebody like Goddard might have stopped this fight. Big Dan can be a bit of a goof but I think he’s a decent ref and I like how he lets fights play out.

Oliveira had a spectacular comeback in the second round.

It was a comeback though that was only possible because the referee Dan Miragliotta who has a history of allowing fights to 'go longer' was the official overseeing the bout. I also believe Herb Dean would have allowed the fight to continue to its natural conclusion.

This does not mean Big Dan and Herb Dean are the best referees for all fights, but they are the two referees best suited to officiate title fights; where a fighter should be afforded every opportunity to recover if they are still protecting themselves.

If Mark Goddard, Keith Peterson, Mark Smith, Chris Tognoni, or Jason Herzog were the referee that fight would have been stopped when Oliveira began panic wrestling and Chandler hit him with a big shot.

Michael Chandler would be the UFC Lightweight champion if a different referee had been assigned to that fight and thats a damn shame because we all saw how it ended when it organically reached its natural conclusion.
Naw i think you're very wrong do bronx was not face planted and has protecting himself. You must of lost a bet or love Chandler.

Oliveira had a spectacular comeback in the second round.

It was a comeback though that was only possible because the referee Dan Miragliotta who has a history of allowing fights to 'go longer' was the official overseeing the bout. I also believe Herb Dean would have allowed the fight to continue to its natural conclusion.

This does not mean Big Dan and Herb Dean are the best referees for all fights, but they are the two referees best suited to officiate title fights; where a fighter should be afforded every opportunity to recover if they are still protecting themselves.

If Mark Goddard, Keith Peterson, Mark Smith, Chris Tognoni, or Jason Herzog were the referee that fight would have been stopped when Oliveira began panic wrestling and Chandler hit him with a big shot.

Michael Chandler would be the UFC Lightweight champion if a different referee had been assigned to that fight and thats a damn shame because we all saw how it ended when it organically reached its natural conclusion.
Shhhhhhh… PARABENS!

Disagree about Herb he is just terrible. I can only remember Rockhold vs Weidman off the top of my head being a title fight that went on too long.

There are a lot people with reading comprehension issues here. TS is not saying the fight should have been stopped in the first or that Oliveira was lucky. He was praising Dan miragliotta and criticizing early stoppages by other refs.

Hmmmm

I kind of wanted Choadler to win (for the hype) but Charles wasn’t too badly hurt and survived just fine.

I was actually concerned Choadler was going to get himself caught in an arm bar or something.

A good ref is like an air traffic controller, they only get noticed when they fuck up. Shout out to big Dan for a good job, the replay showed Do Bronx was still defending and in the fight

There are a lot people with reading comprehension issues here. TS is not saying the fight should have been stopped in the first or that Oliveira was lucky. He was praising Dan miragliotta and criticizing early stoppages by other refs.

I knew the reading comprehension of some on here was not great, but a quarter of the people commenting seemingly did not even read the OP; maybe they are trying to boost their post count?

I also have an avatar of Oliveira raising a clenched fist, it could not be any clearer who I was supporting in that fight.

Charles beat the shit out of Chandler , get over it

Maybe just don't comment next time if you are not going to read the OP?

The point of the post was that Dan Miragliotta let the fight reach its natural conclusion, while many refs as we have unfortunately seen in previous title fights, would have stopped the fight as soon as Oliveira was on his knees and got hit with a big shot from Chandler.

Lol ts trying to cope with another u.s.a embarrassment.

Read the OP next time or just don't comment.

Or maybe look at the avatar of the TS.

I don't know how you could infer I was not supporting Oliveira if you read the OP or even just look at my avatar which is Oliveira raising a clenched fist.

Naw i think you're very wrong do bronx was not face planted and has protecting himself. You must of lost a bet or love Chandler.

Read the OP next time or just don't comment.

Yeah users who love Chandler have avatars of Oliveira.
<45>

Dan Miragliotta did fine. Blame Chandler not for letting Oliveira stand up when he had him rocked in Round 1. Not to take anything away from Charles awesome comeback performance and win, but Michael Chandler snatched defeat from the jaws of victory a bit there.

I am not sure whether or not you read the OP, but I was commending Dan for doing his job as a ref and letting the fight reach its natural conclusion. All title bouts should be officiated the way this title fight was, instead of the early stoppages that we have unfortunately become accustomed too.

I do agree though Chandler did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, several times, and would have probably never lost his Bellator title if he fought anywhere near this well in those bouts.

I agree. I also think Oliveria was consistently defending himself, there wasn't enough there for even the most trigger happy ref to stop the fight.

I rewatched it and there was a moment just as Oliveira hit his knees and Chandler landed a big shot that would have likely resulted in Mark Goddard and Keith Peterson who do not take these fights very seriously to step in.

Peterson is the better than early type. Don’t let the Cruz debacle fool you. Somebody like Goddard might have stopped this fight. Big Dan can be a bit of a goof but I think he’s a decent ref and I like how he lets fights play out.

Peterson should never ref a title fight just based on some of his recent screw ups. The Cruz stoppage was definitely too early. but Goddard is the referee that just seems to get it wrong nearly every time. He is also quite arrogant about it, rather than accepting he has made mistakes and is willing to learn from them.

Its shocking how many posters on here do not think Goddard would have stopped the fight when Oliveira first hit his knees, because Goddard stopped a fight on the most recent Contender Series with 3 seconds left in a round because he supposedly thought a fighter in a guillotine had gone out (he hadn't) and he refused to even discuss the matter with the fighter after.

Nah. He won cause he weathered the storm and came back like a Champ you fucking excuse maker.

No. Just no. Give it up. The stoppage was perfect, while no referee in their right mind would have stopped it in the first. Charles was fine and he was defending, Chandler not.

Back