Chatri Sityodtong on Conor McGregor

The vast majority. Don't be mad, your art will always rule in lesser forms of competition in Thailand.

Name the example. I want to know his name.

As far as I know shit japan say that most fighters don't use muay thai kicks in kick boxing fights. They use karate style kicks.

But,now,some peice of shit is saying they use muay thai style kicks in the kick boxing fight but not use in mma fight.

hahaha not only vile,also shameless
I mean japan though.

I'm just giving NidNoi shit because he's a well-known trolling Australian who pretends to be Thai.

Australian ?? No. LOL I am thai and you know. Don't pretend ignorance.

1364202784-a94275200-o_zps0073cfe2.gif

I agree with the sentiment; broadly over large numbers of people, I believe simple MT will clearly win over flashy TKD. However it doesn't work on the per-fighter basis. Jones is a pretty good example, he does everything wrong and is destroying people. McGregor does not impress me with his striking but he does impress me with his winning.

However, I think Aldo is a nightmare matchup for McGregor because Aldo is equally as athletic and crafty, but has 10x the technique and 10x the defense. I think McGregor loses to Edgar as well for the same reason.

Name the example. I want to know his name.
I want to answer but I don't know what you're saying. I need an hour of time and a Rosetta's Stone just to get through the first sentence.

Australian ?? No. LOL I am thai and you know. Don't pretend ignorance.

Said NidNoi, while looking like this:
1255323317_top-10-most-influential-australian-men_10.jpg

I'm just giving NidNoi shit because he's a well-known trolling Australian who pretends to be Thai.

Muay Thai, like any art, has inherent flaws when thrown directly into MMA: mainly, its very tall, immobile stance and it's overreliance on kicking. But it's an incredibly useful, powerful art and you can work out the kinks with some cross training if you ever do intend on trying your hand in MMA.

Hell, get awesome on the ground like Werdum (or don't give a shit like Shogun and lose to all wrestlers you face) and you can use it without much tweaking.

generalization. There are muay thai camps that teach lower center of gravity stances. ex) Fairtex.

I agree for the most part but a lot of techniques get written off as impractical and/or ineffective and then you see people get ktfoed by the same techniques. If you're not used to dealing with something then it can definitely be a factor.

I'm sorry, I don't speak moon language.

What is 'THE' kickboxing fight?

Is it like the Kumite?

If so, then I guess Paco is a good example.

bloodsport_lutador_3.png

show the man a little respect...Paulo paid his dues in actual Muay Thai, not just in a movie. i will always be grateful to the man because he got me into the ring at old Lumpinee after the finale event this year.

Paulo%20Tocha%20Thai%20Magazing.jpg

paulo-muay-thai.jpg

Coach%201.jpg

Muay Thai, like any art, has inherent flaws when thrown directly into MMA: mainly, its very tall, immobile stance and it's overreliance on kicking. But it's an incredibly useful, powerful art and you can work out the kinks with some cross training if you ever do intend on trying your hand in MMA.

Hell, get awesome on the ground like Werdum (or don't give a shit like Shogun and lose to all wrestlers you face) and you can use it without much tweaking.

To be fair, muay thai stances aren't always tall. The stances vary by person and gym much like any fighting art as do the specialities that each fighter relies on. Some are clinchers, some are punchers, some are kickers, some focus on knees and elbows. And let's not forget that generally speaking...wider stances are less mobile than taller ones. But you know that already.

this generalization of muay thai being ineffective in mma because of its stance being too tall is bullshit. Stop perpetuating it.

To be fair, muay thai stances aren't always tall. The stances vary by person and gym much like any fighting art as do the specialities that each fighter relies on. Some are clinchers, some are punchers, some are kickers, some focus on knees and elbows. And let's not forget that generally speaking...wider stances are less mobile than taller ones. But you know that already.

I'll turn off troll mode for a second and say that I don't necessarily agree with this. A wider stance gives you far better linear mobility, while a taller stance gives you more circular mobility.

I'll turn off troll mode for a second and say that I don't necessarily agree with this. A wider stance gives you far better linear mobility, while a taller stance gives you more circular mobility.

I'd argue that most mobility is to be had with a medium stance, mobility decreases the further together, or apart you move your feet.

I'd argue that most mobility is to be had with a medium stance, mobility decreases the further together, or apart you move your feet.

I'd argue mobility involves more variables than just the width/length of your stance or how far apart you're feet are - things like weight distribution for example play a role, otherwise I agree with you. Opinions vary when the topic comes to mobility, at least from a stand up perspective, as I'm sure everyone here is already aware of.

The best mobility is in my opinion ensuring you have a 50/50 weight distribution with your centre of gravity equidistant between both legs you want a straight (you want good posture to) at least from the karate perspective. Your stance shouldn't be more than a just over a shoulder width apart - in regards to mobility/leverage imho.

As for actually foot placement, generally you don't want to be too wide/too narrow, too deep or too tall lol when you consider mobility/balance/leverage - there's a optimum intersection between the above. People's opinions on how much 'is too wide considered,' for example vary.

So in my mind for best mobility - 50/50 weight on both legs, no more than just over a shoulder width apart in regards to foot placement (i.e. so you're not wide/narrow) - that's a general limit I'd say, as you don't want your feet to close together or too far apart.

I really don't think weight distribution should affect mobility all that much. As long as you keep the weight between your feet you should be able to shift it quickly enough that it has a negligible effect on mobility. It is better to move in certain directions for your weight to be in one place or another, but the adjustments needed to get the weight where it needs to be are imperceptible if your feet are in the right spot.

Edit: Also, I generally really don't like when the weight is centered. Most people who have it centered keep their head in the center as a result and have trouble moving it properly. I think it's better to favor one side slightly with where you keep your weight.

I really don't think weight distribution should affect mobility all that much. As long as you keep the weight between your feet you should be able to shift it quickly enough that it has a negligible effect on mobility. It is better to move in certain directions for your weight to be in one place or another, but the adjustments needed to get the weight where it needs to be are imperceptible if your feet are in the right spot.

Edit: Also, I generally really don't like when the weight is centered. Most people who have it centered keep their head in the center as a result and have trouble moving it properly. I think it's better to favor one side slightly with where you keep your weight.

Well there's a basic test - put most of your weight on your front foot and then try to move backwards. Now try to do the exact same thing but have your weight equally distributed on both feet - your mobility is much better (more fluid is a better word) moving backwards when your weight is evenly spread. The reason at least from my own karate viewpoint is a 50/50 weight distribution is neutral.

Keeping the weight between your feet is the essence of being centered and having equally weight distribution - or close to. When your weight is on the front foot or back foot, it is no longer in between your feet but rather closer to one foot than the other.

Machida does a better job at explaining what I mean:

As for the edit: that's probably a result of different philosophies in regards to stand up striking. I'm pretty much always centered favouring neither foot - equal weight, depending on my intent I will shift weight accordingly - the default is 50/50 precisely because it's neutral.

Last edited:
Weight between the feet just means it doesn't get outside either of your feet. It can be biased towards one or the other while still being between them. And as long as that's the case, movement in any direction should be easy provided your feet are placed properly.

For example, Machida stands with his feet too wide. That makes small shifts of weight pretty much impossible, so his weight has to be centered to maintain mobility. As a result, his head movement suffers and he can only really defend with his (excellent) footwork. If his feet were better positioned and less far apart, he could shift the weight foot to foot much more quickly and with less effort, meaning it wouldn't matter where the weight started.

I can step back or forward easily no matter which leg my weight is on. It doesn't make enough of a difference to really affect much, because it moves where it needs to be so quickly when I move that no mobility is sacrificed.

I'd argue mobility involves more variables than just the width/length of your stance or how far apart you're feet are - things like weight distribution for example play a role, otherwise I agree with you. Opinions vary when the topic comes to mobility, at least from a stand up perspective, as I'm sure everyone here is already aware of.

The best mobility is in my opinion ensuring you have a 50/50 weight distribution with your centre of gravity equidistant between both legs you want a straight (you want good posture to) at least from the karate perspective. Your stance shouldn't be more than a just over a shoulder width apart - in regards to mobility/leverage imho.

As for actually foot placement, generally you don't want to be too wide/too narrow, too deep or too tall lol when you consider mobility/balance/leverage - there's a optimum intersection between the above. People's opinions on how much 'is too wide considered,' for example vary.

So in my mind for best mobility - 50/50 weight on both legs, no more than just over a shoulder width apart in regards to foot placement (i.e. so you're not wide/narrow) - that's a general limit I'd say, as you don't want your feet to close together or too far apart.

reminds me of Goldilocks...or anything else about balance and moderation. kinda applies to a lot of things in life. too many tanks and not enough infantry in a city, car setup for 0-60 but terrible in the turns, etc.

Chatri makes an interesting commentary, but I am going to have to disagree with him. Though he attempts to be balanced and complimentary, it seems to me his personal distaste of Connors style seeps into everything he says. It is not an objective view point.

Though he will occasionally throw in something flashy or capoeira like, the vast majority of the kicks Connor throws are neither flashy or complicated as Chatri describes. They are actually simple and strategic. Connor is just a lot more comfortable using his feet than most.

Connor uses his kicks a lot like most fighters use a jab. To find range, keep his opponent off guard and at the desired distance, and set up his other weapons. It is simply a tool he has. A high level tool he uses very effectively.

How many people in his entire career has Connor KO'd with his feet? Thats right-NONE. I can only think of a few that he even knocked down with kicks. But a lot of his KO's have been set up with kicks. He uses kicks very effectively though to keep the fight where he wants it.

I want to answer but I don't know what you're saying. I need an hour of time and a Rosetta's Stone just to get through the first sentence.

I am saying that japan likes to eat nuclear sushi.

Do you understand ? the jackass LOL

1378661900-DD-o_zps194fd262.gif

Mods where are you? this is the cool and nice forum.. remember?

Back