Cheap way to make a 4' aluminum pole stand up for Festivus

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
As we all know, it's the Festivus season. I'm looking at getting a new aluminum (very high strength-to-weight ratio) Festivus pole. Home Depot has a 3/8" pole @ 4' tall for like $13.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-x-48-in-Aluminum-Round-Rod-800367/204604768

Is there a cheap base of sorts I can use to hold it up? I guess even a Christmas tree holder might work if it's thin enough?

Where are you guys getting your Festivus poles? Going out into the wild and cutting your own down? You going fake pole so you can use it year after year?

As we all know, it's the Festivus season. I'm looking at getting a new aluminum (very high strength-to-weight ratio) Festivus pole. Home Depot has a 3/8" pole @ 4' tall for like $13.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-x-48-in-Aluminum-Round-Rod-800367/204604768

Is there a cheap base of sorts I can use to hold it up? I guess even a Christmas tree holder might work if it's thin enough?

Where are you guys getting your Festivus poles? Going out into the wild and cutting your own down? You going fake pole so you can use it year after year?

I've got my Festivus Pole in my pants and it stands up by itself, or at least it used to.<YeahOKJen>

Just nail two sticks together in an X and jam the pole on there

Try Vandelay Industries.
97d3377c2e50c1d38347cdf89905c14b.gif

I already have a huge, stiff pole, and it is way more solid than an aluminum one. Really only want one in the house.

3 or 4 L brackets from shelving dept screwed to the post and to a wide base?

I looked into something for this to try to make a post to mount a 2nd monitor, but failed to find satisfactory parts.

Spitballing....10 x 10 x 1/4" aluminum baseplate. Aluminum pipe cut for OD of your festivus pole (4"), say 6-8" long. Weld pipe sleeve to center of baseplate. Place festivus pole in pipe sleeve on baseplate. For added security, drill a 1/2" hole through the pipe sleeve and your festivus pole and run a 3/8" bolt through with washer/nut. Felt the bottom of the baseplate as a protector for the floor. Fight your father.

Edit - suppose that's not so cheap, missed that qualifier in the title!

Cheapest way would be to hang it from ceiling above (hook/anchor and string) but wouldn't be sturdy.

Last edited:

WTF is a festivus?

WTF is a festivus?
Many Christmases ago, a prolific man went to buy a doll for his son. He reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As he rained blows upon him, he realized there had to be another way. The doll was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born. A Festivus for the rest of us.

Back