Cheer up. We live in the future.

finnegan

Mountains and Fleas
@red
Reaction score
Despite the nearly constant doom and gloom, rising suicide rates, and general pessimism, the present is starting to look a lot like the future we were promised. For example, we now have:
Bionics:

Reusable rockets:

Jetpack races:

Augmented reality:

I for one am glad we are trending toward a cyberpunk future. What are some of your favorite "futuristic" technologies out there?

Realistic fuckable ass sex toys

These so called technological advances are leading us to our demise. We need to preserve our natural resources and go back to our native roots. Colonizers will need to return native lands back to native people to achieve this, and we can all go back to a sustainable way of life and ensure a future for generations to come. But if we carry om with this greedy western way of life we might not even make it to the end of the century.

These so called technological advances are leading us to our demise. We need to preserve our natural resources and go back to our native roots. Colonizers will need to return native lands back to native people to achieve this, and we can all go back to a sustainable way of life and ensure a future for generations to come. But if we carry om with this greedy western way of life we might not even make it to the end of the century.

Fucking lol. China is fucking shit up and it ain't western, Africa is fucking shit up and it ain't western. Don't hate on a playa jus cos we got swol first brah.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only viable path is to brute force singulatisi our way through to the other side.

You should start by taking your advice and get off the damn internet shouldn't you.

So do you need to troll better or are you a hypocrite?

What I want is realisation of 3D printing, robotics and AI. An end to all manufacturing industry, labour for money and the democratisation of all power that would result.

Fucking lol. China is fucking shit up and it ain't western, Africa is fucking shit up and it ain't western. Don't hate on a playa jus cos we got swol first brah.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only viable path is to brute force singulatisi our way through to the other side.

You should start by taking your advice and get off the damn internet shouldn't you.

So do you need to troll better or are you a hypocrite?
Do you think china and africa would be fucking shit up with out western influence?

What I want is realisation of 3D printing, robotics and AI. An end to all manufacturing industry, labour for money and the democratisation of all power that would result.
3D printing is getting pretty good pretty quickly, especially in the medical field. Robotics and AI are marching along pretty well and will be pretty damned disruptive along the way. Manufacturing and labor for money aren't going anywhere anytime soon; even if we go off-world by the end of the century.

Agreed.

There are certainly causes for concern like climate change, species extinction at an alarming rate, social media and internet bubbles tearing our societies apart, the ever present threat of nuclear weapons, the potential for AI to go horribly wrong, etc etc etc...

But ultimately, in terms of human society on average, there's never been a better time to be alive. Generally speaking, humans live longer, happier, healthier, easier, safer lives than ever before. You're less likely to be murdered or die in a war than in any other time in history. The life of the average citizen in a modern democracy is more luxurious than the lives of Kings from only a few hundred years ago.

Technology is improving at a mind boggling pace. There are things we take for granted today that would be indistinguishable from magic only a hundred years ago (the internet, smart phones, video games, bionic limbs... The list is almost endless).

I have no idea if humanity will save itself from the impending doom it's facing on many fronts, but I'm fairly optimistic that our technology will so radically change our societies in the next few decades that we'll be able to sort our shit out.

Hopefully the super intelligent AI we create will be benevolent, and take control of this mess, leaving us to focus on trying to expand our populations to multiple planets.

Robotics and AI are marching along pretty well and will be pretty damned disruptive along the way.

I feel like that's the understatement of the millennium.

The robotics and AI revolution will dramatically alter our societies, and far quicker than most people think. I have no idea whether it's going to be a good thing or a bad thing.

Instinctively I think it's going to be a bad thing, before ultimately becoming a good thing. Robotics and AI are going to cause A LOT of job losses, and it's probably going to take a while to figure out how to handle that.

I feel like that's the understatement of the millennium.

The robotics and AI revolution will dramatically alter our societies, and far quicker than most people think. I have no idea whether it's going to be a good thing or a bad thing.

Instinctively I think it's going to be a bad thing, before ultimately becoming a good thing. Robotics and AI are going to cause A LOT of job losses, and it's probably going to take a while to figure out how to handle that.
Agreed. So many people are focusing on self driving cars and robotic "low-skilled" labor that they are ignoring what happens when AI takes over tech support, coding, etc and thus eliminating a vast sector of the workforce virtually overnight. The people who think that all this suddenly freed-up labor will start spontaneously making arts and crafts projects are kidding themselves.

Most of the population of the world lives as though we’re in a post apocalyptic dystopia.

Cheers to the future

Back