Chessboxing

snowbro

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just learned about this sport called chessboxing about 3 minutes ago. I think I'm starting to get it. At first I was like hmmm wtf? Boxing then breaking for chess? BUT NOW! I see it as, playing chess and then getting to punch the guy every few minutes, which might be my only chance at winning a game of chess :)

Wow these people can't fight for shit. If boxing was the first round before chess, I'd have a good chance at winning. But I'd probably lose the chess game before the boxing round through

Wow these people can't fight for shit. If boxing was the first round before chess, I'd have a good chance at winning. But I'd probably lose the chess game before the boxing round through

ditto, but imagine getting decent enough at chess to last the first 3 minutes, these nerds would be toast!

Man, chessboxing is such a mystery.

nice wu tang reference!

from wikipedia

An earlier version of combining chess and boxing took place in a boxing club outside London in the late 1970s. The Robinson brothers were in the habit of playing a round of chess against one another after a training session at their boxing club.[11][12] The concept of chessboxing was first coined in the 1979 kung fu film Mystery of Chessboxing made by Joseph Kuo, where it referred to the Chinese variant of chess, xiangqi. In homage to the film of the same name, the band Wu-Tang Clan brought chessboxing into popular consciousness for the first time in 1993, when they released the song "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'".

I'm not familiar with the rules of chess, can I just sit and think for the entire duration of the round and then try to beat the guys ass in a fight in the next one? I've seen the chess guys think for a long time, sometimes the opponent even falls asleep while waiting.

i mean i think it's obvious that this sport requires a certain intellect vastly superior to slap fighters
Of course. But the premise is still very, very stupid. Which is why it’s almost as stupid as slap fighting, but not quite as stupid.
I can’t wait for the newest sport Hockey Fight Jeopardy, where two people fight on ice skates, then play Jeopardy, of course.

i mean i think it's obvious that this sport requires a certain intellect vastly superior to slap fighters

nkmad.png

You may be right, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

Also I don't need much convincing to watch the botez sisters do anything

Back