Child sex offenders’ U.S. passports to note that they are indeed offenders

Through a Christian lens, why not just opt to lock them away for life?

I've gone back and forth on this one, and I settled on being against the death penalty, even for disgusting crimes. My thinking is that if I'm not willing to kill the man myself, and I'm not, I shouldn't want others to do it for me, and, I can't help to think that wanting him dead is akin to wanting vengeance, which is not mine to deliver. Having him in a cage where he can't hurt anyone is fine by me, and God can decide when it's time for him to leave this earth.

I'd love to hear your thoughts here.

The punishment for breaking most of the Mosaic laws is death.

I don't see how you can say that the death penalty is not fundemental to Christianity.

Agreed that we have to remove them from society.

I don't know if it's more humane to kill them, that could be a decision that's left up to them, but even if it is more humane, I don't want to be the one that makes that decision. To me, killing someone is going directly against God's will, otherwise, God would just take them away himself.

I get this is a touchy subject, I don't claim to be right here, I just feel funny about supporting the death penalty, but I understand where you're coming from.
Well if you think about God condoned the death penalty in the Old Testament for Jewish society for many things. I think child molesting is one of those things along with murder that we should still have the death penalty. But that's me.

Not all sex crimes are in the same page.

Im against it unless if specifies the crime that was commited itself.

Not all sex crimes are in the same page.

Im against it unless if specifies the crime that was commited itself.
I agree. Sex offenses aren't all the same.
The 18 year old having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend is not the same as child molesting.

The punishment for breaking most of the Mosaic laws is death.

I don't see how you can say that the death penalty is not fundemental to Christianity.

I don't want to get into a big theological debate here, really just wanted to get Inga to elaborate her position as I'm curious.

I would say that the death penalty is not fundamental to Christianity because of Christ's atonement, though it is fundamental to the Torah (without Christ).

Well if you think about God condoned the death penalty in the Old Testament for Jewish society for many things. I think child molesting is one of those things along with murder that we should still have the death penalty. But that's me.

I totally understand, I just want to be careful and examine my motives. It's very easy to wish death on a child molester because you want revenge.

I agree. Sex offenses aren't all the same.
The 18 year old having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend is not the same as child molesting.

Pretty much.

"This guy was caught with pictures of children as low as 9 years old"

"This guy raped an 11 years old girl"

"This guy had sex with a 16 years old when he was 19"

Similar lenght but far more telling about the character of the individual.

As long as they make it for specific and heinous acts.

The guy who got drunk and pissed in the playground park at 1am isn't exactly an international threat.

I don't want to get into a big theological debate here, really just wanted to get Inga to elaborate her position as I'm curious.

I would say that the death penalty is not fundamental to Christianity because of Christ's atonement, though it is fundamental to the Torah (without Christ).

Christ himself...allegedly...said that everything in the Old Testament applies.

You're right, though. This thread is not the place for this discussion.

I've gone back and forth on this one, and I settled on being against the death penalty, even for disgusting crimes. My thinking is that if I'm not willing to kill the man myself, and I'm not, I shouldn't want others to do it for me, and, I can't help to think that wanting him dead is akin to wanting vengeance, which is not mine to deliver. Having him in a cage where he can't hurt anyone is fine by me, and God can decide when it's time for him to leave this earth.

I've never given a ton of focused thought on crime and punishment or the death penalty specifically. I have no problem with the death penalty, especially for crimes like raping children. Start a thread and tag me or pm your thoughts in detail and I'll respond as thoughtfully as I can.

I think most child sex offenders should be executed.
Prob is its a wide spectrum
You have scum picking on kids who need to be castrated
On the flipside u have some teen who maybe bangs another teen whos almost legal/looks legal and their dad flips out

Prob is its a wide spectrum
Ypu have scum picking on kids who need to be castrated
On the flipside u have some teen who maybe bangs a teen whos almost legal and their dad flips out
Agreed. I think this is already a problem with our sex offender registry. It should be more tightly defined and notable exceptions ought to be consistently excluded. My attitude was directed toward adults who sexually molested young children.

WASHINGTON -- America's registered child sex offenders will now have to use passports identifying them for their past crimes when traveling overseas.

Interesting move by the State Department.
Good

Agreed. I think this is already a problem with our sex offender registry. It should be more tightly defined and notable exceptions ought to be consistently excluded. My attitude was directed toward adults who sexually molested young children.
True
It should come in different categories or degrees like murder ie 1st degree 2nd degree
Some teen or even adult blowing his wad then discovering the willing chick that looks 18+ isnt that age is very very different to a predator stalking innocent kids

I'm kind of surprised convicted Pedos can get passports to begin with.

Makes sense because of sex tourism. I feel sorry for anyone who was banging a 17 year old and is lumped in with child molesters and rapists though

At the risk of sounding like the proverbial Internet Tough Guy, I have to say I would have absolutely no hesitation in personally executing certain types of criminal who's guilt had been proven beyond all doubt. Serial killers, serial rapists, child molestors etc...line them up, make them kneel down and I'll make my way down the line, putting a round in their heads until I run out of scum or ammo.

Some people should not be allowed to live. They are irredeemable. I would put them down with less emotion than I would feel putting a sick animal out of it's misery. Then I will eat my supper and have a good night's sleep.

At the risk of sounding like the proverbial Internet Tough Guy, I have to say I would have absolutely no hesitation in personally executing certain types of criminal who's guilt had been proven beyond all doubt. Serial killers, serial rapists, child molestors etc...line them up, make them kneel down and I'll make my way down the line, putting a round in their heads until I run out of scum or ammo.

Some people should not be allowed to live. They are irredeemable. I would put them down with less emotion than I would feel putting a sick animal out of it's misery. Then I will eat my supper and have a good night's sleep.

That's reasonable, I don't think anyone would disagree, I'm just coming at this through the lens of Christianity.

Back