China Offered Trump $200 Billion Cut in U.S. Trade Deficit, Official Says

I think he's referring to Temujin's post? Very knowlegeable guy and great to converse with on a range of topics but I reckon ever so slightly not only selling the ZTE issue short on the whole but also why we have a problem with the Indonesia investment, particularly given the timing. My confidence in this Administration is about less than zero, the greatest thing Trump has yet done was sign the omnibus bill into law because it included the highest inflation-adjusted R&D investment America has ever made, that's irrefutably awesome.

The catch? Trump had virtually zero to do with it and if the White House had gotten their way with the budget proposal they put forth, it would've meant historic cuts towards R&D and peeled back our capabilities in fundamental and applied research. It's absolutely paramount we don't lose the global edge in those areas, this economy - its growth in particular - is largely driven by scientific discovery, technological advancement and its knack for innovation, almost no sector is left untouched. Now is not the time for science cuts of any sort of variety. Thankfully, Congress came together to set that straight.

Yep @TemujinKhan has good insights about the Asian sector in the War Room and makes any Argument about West Vs. China more balanced.

I would say he represents Asia very well if not for him the war room might really be all biased againts China.

Ah but having said that I will remain an Asian that is hard line anti Communist Chinese for now. Like they said I am the uncle Tom for Asians or shall we say uncle Chong.

Fuck China Dolar store laaah....

Hey if Trump's trade war somehow ends up benefiting the US, I'll be happy to give him credit. However, the only concrete actions the Chinese have taken is to tax imports on US pork, soybean (which used to be a $14 billion/year purchase by China), and other, mostly mid-western imports. Really targeting Trump's base there, whether intentional or not.

Trump's tariffs are lukewarm and haphazard at best. At the same time we're taxing the shit out of Chinese metals, we're giving access for Chinese tech (almost all IP of which was stolen from US business), to our markets.

Bottom line: China is hitting back, but outside of niche industries, the harm is minimal. But so is Trump's. The tax on Chinese metals was a gift to US donors. So we've hurt some Chinese sectors in order for republican donors to make a profit, and we've had some industries get hurt in the crossfire by Chinese retaliation.

Hardly sound trade policy.

I mean, I can't stand the dude but I love my country and I'm not going to root against its interests simply because he's in the White House - so long as it's actually in our interests, and that is quite key. China is an entity that requires confrontation but I'm highly skeptical about the plans (??), methods and potential outcomes of it.

The country will survive his term regardless, there's simply too much going for it to fuck up: from its checks and balances to geography and natural resources to intellectual core, innovation and productivity. You throw energy independence and resurgent manufacturing clout into the mix (both of which were already in full swing pre-election)... we'll be fine.

Like they said I am the uncle Tom for Asians

Nah bro, you're Pinoy. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...-the-philippines-loves-the-u-s/?noredirect=on

I mean, I can't stand the dude but I love my country and I'm not going to root against its interests simply because he's in the White House - so long as it's actually in our interests, and that is quite key. China is an entity that requires confrontation but I'm highly skeptical about the plans (??), methods and potential outcomes of it.

The country will survive his term regardless, there's simply too much going for it to fuck up: from its checks and balances to geography and natural resources to intellectual core, innovation and productivity. You throw energy independence and resurgent manufacturing clout into the mix (both of which were already in full swing pre-election)... we'll be fine.

Nah bro, you're Pinoy. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...-the-philippines-loves-the-u-s/?noredirect=on

O damn I cant believe Dutertroll said this.
He would go on to suggest that "Americans are loud, sometimes rowdy," and that their vocal chords are "not adjusted to civility"

China says that's fake news, bruh

But at a regular news briefing in Beijing on Friday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesmanLu Kang denied such an offer had been made.

"These rumors are not true," he said.

Top officials from the two countries held talks in Washington on Thursday aimed at finding a way out of their bitter trade dispute. The United States and China have threatened in recent months to slap tariffs on tens of billions of dollars of each other's products.

Lu declined to provide more details on the negotiations, which are set to continue Friday, other than to describe them as "constructive."

China also said Friday that it's removing a huge import tax it recently imposed on US exports of sorghum, a move likely to help ease trade tensions.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/economy/china-us-trade-talks/index.html

{<huh}

Where was it debunked, genius?

I must have missed Giuliani, telling Steve Doucy it is false.

I went back and read this very thread and do not see any debunking of Donny Pay for Play.

Forgot to add another link showing Donny Pay for Play in action.
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/south...esia-project-latest-stop-chinas-belt-and-road

“The resort in Indonesia is only licensed by Trump, they use his name for branding, Trump doesn't own the resort and the licensing deal was made years ago. China didn't pay off Trump at all, if anything they just made it look like they did to distract the US media because they know libs would run with the story, you're all getting played.”

“The resort in Indonesia is only licensed by Trump, they use his name for branding, Trump doesn't own the resort and the licensing deal was made years ago. China didn't pay off Trump at all, if anything they just made it look like they did to distract the US media because they know libs would run with the story, you're all getting played.”
Trumps entire business is branding.

Thanks for the explanation, Rudy.

A little more concrete in terms of progress given the quoted source, but still short on details. Navarro's presence here is a necessity even if his influence is limited and rhetoric a little over the top. Mnuchin is too moderate and soft on China for my tastes and there's been too much in-fighting between the four (Kudlow, Lighthizer, Mnuchin, Navarro).

CNBC: A US-China Trade Pact Is Taking Shape

On Friday, Trump's chief economic advisor Larry Kudlow told reporters the negotiations "are going well." He said Trump "was probably more optimistic yesterday on the subject than I've seen him in this whole process."

"China's come to trade, they're meeting many of our demands," Kudlow said. "There's no deal yet, to be sure, and it's going to probably take a while. It's a process. But they're coming to play. I believe they want to make a deal."

The economic advisor said he does not think there is a deadline to reach a deal.

While the Trump administration considers alleged intellectual property theft by Chinese companies a critical issue, the representatives have not resolved the problem yet, according to the senior administration official who declined to be named.

One provision on the table is revising the rules for American ownership of Chinese firms in sectors such as financial services. A proposed measure would bring the cap on ownership of a company from 45 percent now to 55 percent in three years and 100 percent at a point in the future, the official said.

No more meetings were slated to take place among high-level officials as of late Friday afternoon, the person added. Lower level negotiators were still discussing details at the Treasury Department.

In addition, Trump's China hawk trade advisor Peter Navarro attended the Oval Office meeting, according to Kudlow. He participated despite news reports that he had been excluded from the talks.

Earlier Friday, China's Foreign Minister denied that it proposed to cut its trade surplus with the U.S. by $200 billion, as reported by some news outlets. Trump has repeatedly argued that China takes advantage of the U.S. because China sends significantly more goods to America than the U.S. sends back.

Kudlow said he wants to see "at least $200 billion" cut from the U.S. trade deficit with China. He insisted on Beijing lowering both tariff rates and non-tariff barriers.

O damn I cant believe Dutertroll said this.

That actually seems like a particularly common foreign impression that's drawn predominantly from the way drunk, obnoxious cunts conduct themselves in other countries when on vacation (holiday) there. It's annoying, but I guess there's worse stereotypes. Many generally are kind of excitable, and it's amplified under the influence.

Back