Chris Weidman vs Lyoto Machida for the UFC Middleweight Championship at UFC 175

Machida might be too fast, but if he's not, I think Weidman has enough aptitude as a striker to time the lunges or at least to avoid them, and enough aptitude as a grappler to tie up and take Machida down and maybe do some damage. So, Weidman by decision.

I'm a big Machida fan but this fight is really making me nervous. If I had to pick I'd favor Weidman slightly but this is one of those few fights I have absolutely no idea how it will play out.

I'm fearing Weidman's reach combined with the fact that Lyoto often drops his hands when he backs away. Btw I can't seem to find anywhere exactly how big Weidman's reach advantage is, and how it compares to that of Mousasi's, anyone know?

I'm a big Machida fan but this fight is really making me nervous. If I had to pick I'd favor Weidman slightly but this is one of those few fights I have absolutely no idea how it will play out.

I'm fearing Weidman's reach combined with the fact that Lyoto often drops his hands when he backs away. Btw I can't seem to find anywhere exactly how big Weidman's reach advantage is, and how it compares to that of Mousasi's, anyone know?

Weidman 78 inch, Mousasi 76 inch

I'm not worried about the reach. Machida's normal distance put him far outside even Jones' reach. Jones defeated Machida catching him coming in.

Weidman' s a solid MW that had Silva' s number. He ain't that special though.

Machida easily.

IDK about that, there are a lot of better strikers than Weidman out there who I think will exploit his robotic, stiff, straight-necked striking style.

His biggest strength is freakish physical strength and his high wrestling pedigree.

In fact, I think if he decides to stand and trade with Machida, the diference between him and the elite strikers will be exposed by the end of round one.

Not saying Machida-1st round KO, cause I dont see that happening, but I do think Machidas range, timing, angles, accuracy, technique, and footwork will make Chris look amateur. He will want to shoot by about 3 minutes in.

To me, thats where the biggest difference in this fight is. If he can get Machida down, which I think he can, he can get the GnP KO.

So the question is: "Can Machida avoid that for 25 minutes while trying to score points striking from the outside against a young, strong jawed, fearless, freak athlete, with better wrestling, good TDs, and brutal GnP?"

Thats gonna be a tough task.

I don't feel if Weidman should characterized as robotic. After his robotic style was too much for Anderson to the point where Anderson was having to clown around in an effort to get Weidman to change up.

Machida is great but his style isn't as strange and hard to figure out as when he first started. He's still very elusive but Weidman was also impressive when he could outstrike Anderson who is another counterstriker.

Machida might be too fast, but if he's not, I think Weidman has enough aptitude as a striker to time the lunges or at least to avoid them, and enough aptitude as a grappler to tie up and take Machida down and maybe do some damage. So, Weidman by decision.

I agree. I hope you're wrong though and Machida beats him in a hardfought decision.

The key to this fight for Weidman is can he get Machida down and hurt him taking away his movement? Machida looked great against Jones until Jones got that TD and hurt him on the ground with elbows. After that Machida was on wobbly legs and easy pickings. If he can stay on his feet he should have his way with Weidman with his counter striking..

I don't feel if Weidman should characterized as robotic. After his robotic style was too much for Anderson to the point where Anderson was having to clown around in an effort to get Weidman to change up.

Machida is great but his style isn't as strange and hard to figure out as when he first started. He's still very elusive but Weidman was also impressive when he could outstrike Anderson who is another counterstriker.

original.gif

I disagree. Look at a replay of the punch that caught Silva. He kept his shoulders squared, back straight up, he leaves his neck straight up and stiff, doesnt pivot off his back foot, throws punches from the shoulder, and he doesnt follow through. His striking is hideous. Silva was aging and the signs were obvious, .

Weidmans striking IS robotic. Thats not my opinion, thats fact. And Im not saying it doesnt work, I just saying the divisions elite wont go down from that.

Thats why I dont think beating Silva means Chris takes his place as the immortal of the weightclass.

I think Chris is to Silva as Rampage was to Chuck. A guy who had an aging legends number but wasnt head and shoulders above the rest of the wight class, and didnt hold the belt long.

im suprised most people are picking weidman by tko. i think he can definitely do it but i think odds are he gets a submission win.

im suprised most people are picking weidman by tko. i think he can definitely do it but i think odds are he gets a submission win.

So you're saying that the most likely scenario is one that only the greatest mixed martial artist in history with a huge size advantage has pulled off?

actually most people are picking machida by ko. then machida by decision..... then weidman by tko

wtf is wrong with people?

interesting how heavily favored machida is on sherdog. coincidentally sherdog thought weidman was some bum who didnt deserve the anderson fight and then said he`d die in the cage when it was booked. then weidman was the underdog in the rematch. now both wins are flukes and machida is the favorite on sherdog

machidas an animal at 185 but im going with weidman here

Weidman by TKO

Machida wins this fight on account of excessive strikes and a hasty referee stoppage. Questions?

Machida sounded kinda sick in the interview on the weight-ins. I wonder if he caught a cold. His voice sound more hoarse than usual. I hope he'll be alright.

actually most people are picking machida by ko. then machida by decision..... then weidman by tko

wtf is wrong with people?

interesting how heavily favored machida is on sherdog. coincidentally sherdog thought weidman was some bum who didnt deserve the anderson fight and then said he`d die in the cage when it was booked. then weidman was the underdog in the rematch. now both wins are flukes and machida is the favorite on sherdog

machidas an animal at 185 but im going with weidman here

people prefer Machida, they are voting because they want him to win not because they think he will win.
I am not sure who will win, but I do want Machida to be a two division champ.

60% of sherdog should delete themselves.

To me, it looked like Machida struggled from the weight cut.

I feel like if he had a couple more fights at the weight first right before this one it would have helped him.

Either way the fight was awesome, Kudos to Weidman, and both guys put on a hell of a show. Thats what MMA is about.

Back