• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Cities you think are overrated (and why)

We have some common ground

It doesn't help that "boston sports fan" is pretty much the most annoying species known to man. Keep in mind I loved living in Boston and the people I worked with.

Now, for me, the city I think is overrated (and sorry Sam Merlotte), is Seattle. I've driven through probably 10 times in the last few years and it has some of the worst traffic on the planet. Every single time whether it be 2 am on a Wednesday or 3 pm on a Friday. It is TERRIBLE. The last time I drove through was about a year ago and it was a Friday at about 2 pm. Okay, it was going into the weekend, but from Everett to Puyallup (which is about an 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour drive at like 3 am on a Wednesday), it took gah . . . 6 hours? And there wasn't one accident or anything. Just wall to wall traffic until I darn near hit Mt Rainier. I mean 5 mile an hour driving with frequent stops for like 6 hours straight and zero accidents to account for it. Constant merging lanes to squeeze through the tunnels under the city. And the the way through Kent is just as packed. On my way back from Puyallup on a Saturday morning was nearly as bad! It is ridiculous!

To add to this, my older sister was engaged to a guy in Tacoma like 20 years ago and we'd visit her. It wasn't as bad then. But it is awful now. The congestion is sickening. Even driving through LA and Anaheim isn't nearly as bad IMO. Not just that, but areas like Tacoma (I realize technically different city) and Federal Way are just freaking dangerous (crime-wise) everywhere now - it didn't used to be that way. And the formerly "nice" areas like Green Lake and the waterfront pier are just looking run down and oldish.

Further to this (and I know I'm really going hardcore here), but you get near Puyallup and Mt Rainer and all of the foothills and mountains have been absolutely butchered of their trees - it's ridiculous! I've not seen anywhere with so much clear-cut logging as around Seattle and in general Washington State. On a different trip about a year and a half ago, I drove from British Columbia to LA and Washington State has become the least pretty of the three west-coast states. Oregon is Beautiful and California is beautiful. Washington is congested everywhere, cops are everywhere catching speeders, the mountainsides have been clear-cut everywhere, and things are looking more and more rundown. I'm not a huge fan of Portland either, but man, I've really seen Seattle and Washington state drop off hugely in 20 years.

And I am genuinely sorry to say this.

First, suck my dick. Second, go fuck yourself.

Traffic is bad because it's a city. Locals know how to get around that shit.

Saying Fed Way is full of crime is like saying you're afraid of Koreans. I'm not hear to call anyone racist, but...

Clear cutting of trees? Pshh. Maybe in Aberdeen. Not in the Cascades.

First, suck my dick. Second, go fuck yourself.

Traffic is bad because it's a city. Locals know how to get around that shit.

Saying Fed Way is full of crime is like saying you're afraid of Koreans. I'm not hear to call anyone racist, but...

Clear cutting of trees? Pshh. Maybe in Aberdeen. Not in the Cascades.

Well, you've got to admit, you're just a few hours away from Vancouver which is pretty much superior in every way except for the Opera scene. The guy nailed it with Seattle - you go there and it's like, "what now? Well, I guess we could get to Vancouver in just a few hours..."

Though, I think there was a Frasier episode about people like you. He said something marginally bad about Seattle on his radio show and was met with hordes of irrational Emerald City residents flipping out.

Well, you've got to admit, you're just a few hours away from Vancouver which is pretty much superior in every way except for the Opera scene. The guy nailed it with Seattle - you go there and it's like, "what now? Well, I guess we could get to Vancouver in just a few hours..."

Though, I think there was a Frasier episode about people like you. He said something marginally bad about Seattle on his radio show and was met with hordes of irrational Emerald City residents flipping out.

Irrational? Don't get me started on the road to making no sense at all. This motherfucker wanted to come at me all passive aggressive like as if I don't have to listen to that tone all day long. He's the homo you'd see photographing fat women with rainbow hair and wire-frame glasses down by the pier telling them they're beautiful. I don't have time for that shit.

A man can't even drink and drive in Vancouver without being considered a violent criminal. I don't even know if they still have a ban on Affliction shirts up there still. Don't go insinuating in any way that you city is better than Seattle.

Irrational? Don't get me started on the road to making no sense at all. This motherfucker wanted to come at me all passive aggressive like as if I don't have to listen to that tone all day long. He's the homo you'd see photographing fat women with rainbow hair and wire-frame glasses down by the pier telling them they're beautiful. I don't have time for that shit.

A man can't even drink and drive in Vancouver without being considered a violent criminal. I don't even know if they still have a ban on Affliction shirts up there still. Don't go insinuating in any way that you city is better than Seattle.

Did you just call him a homo because he explained why he didn't like Seattle? Yeah, not irrational at all.

And I'm not from Vancouver. Just happened to have spent time there and Seattle. Sorry to say, Vancouver beats the shit out of your city, and it's what, 3'ish hours away? Guess Seattle is good - if you don't have a passport.

But hey, that opera scene though... You can't see Wagner's Ring Cycle in Vancouver. You always console yourself with that when the truth about Seattle creeps through late at night.

Did you just call him a homo because he explained why he didn't like Seattle? Yeah, not irrational at all.

And I'm not from Vancouver. Just happened to have spent time there and Seattle. Sorry to say, Vancouver beats the shit out of your city, and it's what, 3'ish hours away? Guess Seattle is good - if you don't have a passport.

But hey, that opera scene though... You can't see Wagner's Ring Cycle in Vancouver. You always console yourself with that when the truth about Seattle creeps through late at night.

If I had a passport I wouldn't want to walk around Vancouver with a stick up my ass all day only to hurry home after work to remove the stick with a shoehorn and not enjoy what little night life that putrid city has to offer. No one in Canada will even fart in public. That place is stuffy and it ruins the vibe.

If I had a passport I wouldn't want to walk around Vancouver with a stick up my ass all day only to hurry home after work to remove the stick with a shoehorn and not enjoy what little night life that putrid city has to offer. No one in Canada will even fart in public. That place is stuffy and it ruins the vibe.

Based on the macho-BS tone of your responses, I have to assume that you know we have hit Seattle on the button with our critiques and you're just lashing out.

Enjoy your #2 city of the Northern coastal areas. That opera scene should be enough for anyone - right?... :)

Based on the macho-BS tone of your responses, I have to assume that you know we have hit Seattle on the button with our critiques and you're just lashing out.

Enjoy your #2 city of the Northern coastal areas. That opera scene should be enough for anyone - right?... :)

If you interpret another man's demeanor by the words he types on the screen then you need to take several lessons in manhood and come back when you can lift a leg. I can see you're already trying to end the discussion and I don't blame you. You're a fan of a city who only exist because Seattle puts in the hard work. Sit on the back porch and wait for the next blood moon you social outcast. I'm going to drink a locally brewed IPA and beat my Johnson in front of several pedestrians.

If you interpret another man's demeanor by the words he types on the screen then you need to take several lessons in manhood and come back when you can lift a leg. I can see you're already trying to end the discussion and I don't blame you. You're a fan of a city who only exist because Seattle puts in the hard work. Sit on the back porch and wait for the next blood moon you social outcast. I'm going to drink a locally brewed IPA and beat my Johnson in front of several pedestrians.

A-winner-is-you1.jpg

On a side note...

http://ihateseattle.com/

"I wish I had not moved here. The people here are ice cold. The average Seattleite is very rude and somewhat stupid. After living in world-class cities, I can't get over how stupid and low brow the people here are. "

About sums it up.

"I realized today Seattleites are the Linux users of society: Pedantic, patronizing, smug, with that "warm and happy in a pile of shit" mentality. They never want anything to improve, they constantly tell "outsiders" how much better their community is, then push people away. Any minor criticism or attempt to improve anything is met with extreme hostility, even when it is an honest attempt to fix a problem. They always make excuses, deny, deny, deny, and then the next day they are just as convinced of their superiority as before."

Must have run into Sam at some point?

"Am I completely wrong, or are Seattle residents generally unpleasant and unfriendly? "

Nope, not wrong...

"You get sucked in. Scenery is cool, but the people are freaks or maintain inbred mannerisms which make it intolerable to live here. "

Bingo.

And, ten things one poster there learned from Seattle residents:

"1) You don't actually have to be homeless to smell like a homeless person.

2) Why wear clothing when you can wear gear? running gear, walking gear, cycling gear. Tight Spandex or moderately clean yoga pants are perfectly acceptable proffesional work apparel.

3) Tattoos should be like beer promos on sports apparel: big, ugly and there only to make an otherwise good thing look cheap.

4) Age is irrelevant. I saw a grown woman working at a bakery wearing the exact same hoody as my neighbor's 4 year old. Cartoon character and all!

5) Servers in restaurants don't want you to tip them. They also don't want you to speak to them, and really would prefer that you not come into the restaurant at all. k thanx bye.

6) There is nothing funny about anything.

7) Knitting and Gardening are Real Hobbies. For 20 year olds.

8) Nothing wrong with being a rude asshole, as long as you are politically correct.

9) Sexual energy doesn't exist here. Obese, self-absorbed women or effiminate, whiny men. Take your pick. And for God's sakes don't smile or make eye contact!

10) Large corporations are inherintly evil. Except Apple.
"

This site is a gold mine :)

"You need drugs if you are going to live here.

Avoid this state.
Locals claim this is the best place and they hate black people, brown people, and anyone not from here. they do not want to share this lousy cold, rainy pits of hell with anyone except their lousy miserable awkward selves.
"

I can't stop reading - and there are over 50 pages of this stuff!

" I, however, absolutely loath this grey, cold and humorless shithole. "

And so you should...

"Can someone explain to me why Seattle women are so friggin' ugly? Seriously, I've lived in 8 major cities, several different countries but land up here and I'm just stunned at how ugly the women are. "

That they are Sam!

"Everyday I wake up and see the sun shining bright in the New York sky, I kiss the ground.

Thank God Almighty, I fucking hated living in Seattle. The most miserable place on earth!
"

Well, once you've lived in a world class city, a hole like Seattle is a bit hard to take.

"people where i come from would never put up with the bullshit attitudes these assholes have in seattle. the things that come out of some of those jerks mouths is just rotten. i swear if you said comments like you hear in seattle here in wny you would be picking your teeth up from the ground, nobody would ever put up with it. i come fom the city of good neighbors , where people are really friendly . we all talk to one another ,help each other out from time to time . if someone is stuck in two feet of snow here people will come out of warmth of the house and help them out. in seattle fuck no , one inch of snow and the act like a bunch of babies"

I can attest to that. You want to see a whole city get erectile dysfunction? Watch a half inch of snow fall in Seattle and the people act like the Chinese were invading.

"life is way too short to put up with seattle"

I live close to vancouver, I hate Seattle - but I have to admit.. Sam Merlotte is killing it with his responses.

you can't use the word pedantic and at the same time refer to others as patronizing.....

lived just north of Seattle for three years (lynnwood) in the late 90s. a little 'light outside' for my tastes, but it was pretty legit. unless you hate rain or asians, than ya, you might have problems

you can't use the word pedantic and at the same time refer to others as patronizing.....

lived just north of Seattle for three years (lynnwood) in the late 90s. a little 'light outside' for my tastes, but it was pretty legit. unless you hate rain or asians, than ya, you might have problems

If you hate Asians you need to avoid the Pacific Northwest entirely.

On a side note...

http://ihateseattle.com/

"I wish I had not moved here. The people here are ice cold. The average Seattleite is very rude and somewhat stupid. After living in world-class cities, I can't get over how stupid and low brow the people here are. "

About sums it up.
"I realized today Seattleites are the Linux users of society: Pedantic, patronizing, smug, with that "warm and happy in a pile of shit" mentality. They never want anything to improve, they constantly tell "outsiders" how much better their community is, then push people away. Any minor criticism or attempt to improve anything is met with extreme hostility, even when it is an honest attempt to fix a problem. They always make excuses, deny, deny, deny, and then the next day they are just as convinced of their superiority as before."

Must have run into Sam at some point?

"Am I completely wrong, or are Seattle residents generally unpleasant and unfriendly? "

Nope, not wrong...

"You get sucked in. Scenery is cool, but the people are freaks or maintain inbred mannerisms which make it intolerable to live here. "

Bingo.

And, ten things one poster there learned from Seattle residents:

"1) You don't actually have to be homeless to smell like a homeless person.

2) Why wear clothing when you can wear gear? running gear, walking gear, cycling gear. Tight Spandex or moderately clean yoga pants are perfectly acceptable proffesional work apparel.

3) Tattoos should be like beer promos on sports apparel: big, ugly and there only to make an otherwise good thing look cheap.

4) Age is irrelevant. I saw a grown woman working at a bakery wearing the exact same hoody as my neighbor's 4 year old. Cartoon character and all!

5) Servers in restaurants don't want you to tip them. They also don't want you to speak to them, and really would prefer that you not come into the restaurant at all. k thanx bye.

6) There is nothing funny about anything.

7) Knitting and Gardening are Real Hobbies. For 20 year olds.

8) Nothing wrong with being a rude asshole, as long as you are politically correct.

9) Sexual energy doesn't exist here. Obese, self-absorbed women or effiminate, whiny men. Take your pick. And for God's sakes don't smile or make eye contact!

10) Large corporations are inherintly evil. Except Apple.
"

This site is a gold mine :)

"You need drugs if you are going to live here.

Avoid this state.
Locals claim this is the best place and they hate black people, brown people, and anyone not from here. they do not want to share this lousy cold, rainy pits of hell with anyone except their lousy miserable awkward selves.
"

I can't stop reading - and there are over 50 pages of this stuff!

" I, however, absolutely loath this grey, cold and humorless shithole. "

And so you should...

"Can someone explain to me why Seattle women are so friggin' ugly? Seriously, I've lived in 8 major cities, several different countries but land up here and I'm just stunned at how ugly the women are. "

That they are Sam!

"Everyday I wake up and see the sun shining bright in the New York sky, I kiss the ground.

Thank God Almighty, I fucking hated living in Seattle. The most miserable place on earth!
"

Well, once you've lived in a world class city, a hole like Seattle is a bit hard to take.

"people where i come from would never put up with the bullshit attitudes these assholes have in seattle. the things that come out of some of those jerks mouths is just rotten. i swear if you said comments like you hear in seattle here in wny you would be picking your teeth up from the ground, nobody would ever put up with it. i come fom the city of good neighbors , where people are really friendly . we all talk to one another ,help each other out from time to time . if someone is stuck in two feet of snow here people will come out of warmth of the house and help them out. in seattle fuck no , one inch of snow and the act like a bunch of babies"

I can attest to that. You want to see a whole city get erectile dysfunction? Watch a half inch of snow fall in Seattle and the people act like the Chinese were invading.

"life is way too short to put up with seattle"

Damn - I'm going to have to come back to this. My job might have me move to Seattle in the next year.

Bukowski. I need a response here.

Damn - I'm going to have to come back to this. My job might have me move to Seattle in the next year.

Bukowski. I need a response here.

In truth, Seattle is a nice enough city, but some of the things on that list are actually pretty true. It's a city which likes to sniff it's own farts for how progressive it thinks it is when, if you've lived in somewhere really world class, it actually seems quite backwater and redneck on all but a few issues.

It also has a pretty bad case of "that other city" syndrome and a chip on its collective shoulder because of it. It's one of the largest, most important American cities which, if you mention its name overseas, people won't know where the hell you're talking about. It's rarely featured in movies, it's not the home of any really big historical sites, and it's often overshadowed in international acclaim by the increasingly popular Vancouver. Many people are like Sam - they are outright hostile if you aren't there with them saying "Oh yeah, Seattle is the best place in the world" and telling them Vancouver is better is like a declaration of war. It does have some things going for it, but nothing to *really* make it stand out.

Then there is the weather. It's mild, so you don't tend to get massive, long lasting snowfalls or cold spells - and that comment about the city being crippled when it gets a half inch of snow is NOT a joke - but the rain! The city spends much of the year grey, dreary, wet, and generally miserable. You might prefer this to getting really cold, you might prefer this to it being really hot. The mild and oftentimes wet and rainy weather suits some people. For a lot, it is the "grey, cold and humorless shithole" described in that one post.

Comments about the fashion sense there are spot on too - it and Vancouver do the same damned thing. If you go there, get used to seeing lots of spandex and yoga pants in places you wouldn't expect to see them, and on people who the Lord almighty did not intend such things for. You'll also learn that when an old man is biking in spandex, many brands stretch enough so that you can see *everything* underneath.

Then there is the bigotry. Just to be clear, if you're in Seattle, you *cannot* use the N word or discriminate against black people or Latinos on pain of death, but hating Asian people is totally cool. Little snide comments, slurs on their ethnicity, talks about them "invading," and all sorts of passive aggressive closet bigotry that seems like it's straight out of the deep south is common there - as long as it's directed towards Asians. It's really quite shocking seeing as how the city residents seem to want to give every black or Latino person they come across a hand job based on ethnicity. These stuck up pricks will act pretty much the way the worst you'll find in Texas do towards Latinos, but towards Asians, in one breath, then have a nice little back patting session about how backwards Texas is compared to them in the other - the denial is shocking at times.

The arts scene is very good though. They get a good number of concerts and some really awesome opera. You get access to some decent cruises, you're a relatively close drive to a lot of very neat west coast things. The area around it does have some beautiful, lush, temperate rainforest/mountain type scenery. I'm not actually sure I would call Seattle overrated mainly because, seriously, out of American cities worthy of note, who the hell really talks about Seattle outside of their football team recently? It's always "the other guy." It's mainly Seattlers high on their own farts - looking at Sam here - who rate it so damned highly. Nobody else really gives a damn about Seattle. It has its ups and its downs and a lot of people find it a wannabe world class city that's high on itself when in reality it's like this fusion of redneck and half-assed progressive with shitty weather and not much to really make it stand out from other big cities out there.

Edit: One last comment... If you're a South Park fan, watch episode 3 of this season. The whole "sodasopa" thing is something you'll see a *lot* of in Seattle. What does the whole foods guy say? "I've never seen a town that tries so hard to exaggerate its level of social awareness" or something like that? Yeah, hello Seattle!

Vancouver.

It's touted as this multicultural utopia but it's far from it. It's segregated and full of racism on the part of all the groups. It has one of the highest car theft rates in North America, and a lot of other crime. And very expensive.

Good city but overrated for sure.

Overrated

St.louis - high crime
Memphis - high crim
New Orleans - dirty and a lot of crime. If you go, go to French street where the locals go a skip burbon st.
LA - sprawled out mess that is expensive
Nyc - silly expensive. Why live here when you can take a train to just visit?
Miami - skip it and go to key west or Fort Lauderdale

Back