Class etiquette: Showing up late to avoid warmup?

We have this guy in our class who comes late to every class by 30-45 minutes every class. It's kind of annoying because we all have to drill and he just comes and jumps in while we're rolling. The guy can barely shrimp and can not do the arm bar drill. Today we're rolling he jumps in and rolls with my son who is 13 120 lbs soaking wet and the late guy is 200 and in his twenties. He immediately gets mounted by my son gets pissed and arm bars the shit out of my kid and pops his arm. I'm pissed at this point.

The trainer of course lines us up to roll and I quickly but respectfully submit him. Now that class is over I'm more pissed at his dickish behavior. I just want to blow him out at the next class but I don't want to be a prick either. What would you guys do. I know there is always a risk on the mat but my parental instinct is burning.:icon_twis

I'm always the first to class, so I never miss warm ups, but we had a new coach today and the "warm up" was 20 damn minutes. It was exhausting. I felt like it was a conditioning class. It definitely cut into our training time. There was one dude who spent 10 minutes wrapping his hands :|

We're always first too. Sometimes I'm really early and I'll sweep and mop the mat. Our warm up is about twenty minutes too. Then we drill then we roll for 45-60 minutes in five minute intervals with one minute in between and we all have to roll with the trainer. The dude is massive, strong and has awesome skills. He wears us down to say the least.

We have this guy in our class who comes late to every class by 30-45 minutes every class. It's kind of annoying because we all have to drill and he just comes and jumps in while we're rolling. The guy can barely shrimp and can not do the arm bar drill. Today we're rolling he jumps in and rolls with my son who is 13 120 lbs soaking wet and the late guy is 200 and in his twenties. He immediately gets mounted by my son gets pissed and arm bars the shit out of my kid and pops his arm. I'm pissed at this point.

The trainer of course lines us up to roll and I quickly but respectfully submit him. Now that class is over I'm more pissed at his dickish behavior. I just want to blow him out at the next class but I don't want to be a prick either. What would you guys do. I know there is always a risk on the mat but my parental instinct is burning.:icon_twis

Sweep the leg.

Any grown man who would armbar a 13 year old to the point of injury deserves to get his ass kicked. Period. I know some 13 year olds can be big or strong for their age, but their bodies aren't developed yet, and if he armbars him and takes it that far, screw him. If they don't kick him out of the gym for that shit, then its up to you other guys to treat him the same way he did a KID.

i think it's situational and depends on the individual. for me, i often train 2 or 3 times per day and usually 5-6 days a week. i'm also 45 years old. so i do occasionally miss a warm up. also traffic in los angeles can be horrible which also makes getting to class on time an issue. when i do come late, i always ask the instructor first to join the class.

Yup. Brazilians are sticklers for punctuality.

I squeaked. I truly did. :)

Our instructors always wave us in, and one told me that there's no such thing as "late" for his class. But I try to get there early to stretch. I'm 40 years old, and every year it takes me an extra minute to warm up my legs and back. The warmup is geared to a 20 to 25 year old, so I'd have no objection to making it longer. In fact, for me, skipping it would be a saftety issue.

Our instructors always wave us in, and one told me that there's no such thing as "late" for his class. But I try to get there early to stretch. I'm 40 years old, and every year it takes me an extra minute to warm up my legs and back. The warmup is geared to a 20 to 25 year old, so I'd have no objection to making it longer. In fact, for me, skipping it would be a saftety issue.

Exactly I don't get it how come many here are so offended by "body conditioning warmups". I would understand if it takes half an hour, but IMO a 15 minute warmup and stretching and some light body conditioning is absolutely adequate.

Going into drills/rolls or trying to stretch a cold body can lead to injury. I think it's in the instructor's best interest to assume that not all of his students work out outside the academy, and it's a good idea to get some body conditioning before training.

Any grown man who would armbar a 13 year old to the point of injury deserves to get his ass kicked. Period. I know some 13 year olds can be big or strong for their age, but their bodies aren't developed yet, and if he armbars him and takes it that far, screw him. If they don't kick him out of the gym for that shit, then its up to you other guys to treat him the same way he did a KID.
Now that I'm a little more calm I think I'm going to talk to the late guy about it. We're all white belts but when we roll we make it a point to try to learn. If I have a d'arce on someone I never just kill the guys neck. I lay it in slow till the other person knows he needs to tap. When we arm bar we go hard till the arm is extended and the other person knows he needs to tap. We always leave a little space for the other person to be able to defend if he can. The late guy just sucks and he just wanted to finally be able to tap someone.

He did say he was sorry but it was still uncalled for. I may not choke him out till he's sleeping but I'm definitely going to go harder on him. Maybe Americana into an armbar for him.

Holy shit, really? From your avatar you look about 25. Did you get your MILF card in the mail yet? :icon_chee

Holy shit, really? From your avatar you look about 25. Did you get your MILF card in the mail yet? :icon_chee

Don't give in to temptation and the spring Einarr. Remember Bushido! Less womenz = train more!

It's kind of annoying when people show up to class when we have just started drilling. They'd join in and we would have to stop and explain the details.

Lose respect for people who dodge cardio and warmup. Train how you fight, fight how you train. If you dont train tired your game is going to fall apart when you get tired. Beside that there is nothing worse than a guy boosting his ego by showing up for only sparring and beating up tired guys who actually put in the work.

Not sure why some people in my gym come to class conveniently after warmups, but I never do on purpose. Unless you have a valid reason or you're a black belt you shouldn't miss warmups. I've come to class late probably only 3 times in my bjj life and I've always texted my instructor before to to inform him.

I know if I ever teach a class on the regular I won't be allowing late arrivals unless you call the school/me beforehand to let me know. I find it pretty disrespectful.

I know if I ever teach a class on the regular I won't be allowing late arrivals unless you call the school/me beforehand to let me know. I find it pretty disrespectful.

I'm a grown man training with grown men. I don't need someone telling me when I can get water or calling me out for being late or leaving early.
For guys who train recreationally, we'll improve or stagnate depending on how many hours we are willing to put in and how hard we are willing to work. Why would I care if some lazy ass dude isn't putting in the same effort I am?
I'll be content to just smash him when we spar. Effort dictates results.

I'm a grown man training with grown men. I don't need someone telling me when I can get water or calling me out for being late or leaving early.
For guys who train recreationally, we'll improve or stagnate depending on how many hours we are willing to put in and how hard we are willing to work. Why would I care if some lazy ass dude isn't putting in the same effort I am?

Not exactly ... as my judo instructor loves to say, practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Wasted effort and wasted practice are practically the default rule for combat sport training.

I think part of the problem is that BJJ training is so broad-based ... it's trying to be everything for everybody. From the aging hobbyist to the determined competitor. Practice tends to drag everybody down to the lowest common denominator, which is a hybrid of weak conditioning, weak drilling, and weak warmup. The only part that tends to be consistently high level is the technical instruction.

This is why higher belts so often come after the warmups. After awhile, you get sick of spending your practice time training like a n3wb. A lot of higher belts just want to come in and roll with other high belts, plus get high-level technical drilling in. Everything else is kind of a waste of time for them.

that's fine, but if the instructor's house rules are no late arrivals, then you follow those rules or you don't play, same as any other rec sports. you don't show up to a bowling game when everyone else is on the 9th frame and demand to do your 10 frames all in a row.

Unless you're training people for free, out of the goodness of your heart, you're out of your goddamn mind. You don't know if someone's late because they really hate warmups, traffic, other obligations, etc...

If I cannot show up on time for class, or at all, it's because real life got in the way. I'm a grown man.

is it really so hard to just go at your own pace?

wow... i had no idea how awesome i have it at my gym.

i mean, i did... but i was just under the impression everyone else's school was this good as well.

we get a nice warmup in but sometimes throughout the week when a diff instructor leads the class they'll REALLLLLLY ramp it up but if it's too much you just go at your own pace/cut corners. that's all you have to do.

when i was fat as all hell thats what i did.

doesnt john danaher say if you want to warm up and stretch, do that outside of jiu jitsu..when I teach I got straight into teaching, what my students should pay for...

I do agree that maybe its good to get some movement drills in before class, but the technique and live drilling before sparring should give you a good movement, focused, workout that will benefit you more than just some sit ups and jumping jacks lol

Yall are crazy though...If I wanted to come in on my lunch to get some rolling in, and the instructor wouldnt let me train, I'd take my money elsewhere. The same would go for it I work until 6 (when classes sometimes start in the evening) And I show up when I get there, if that wasn't allowed then f that place. Call you before class? lol!!!!

Back