Class of 20xx subforums

Bill Parcells

Monday Morning QB
@Green
Reaction score
Probably a big project that's benefits outweigh the effort, but I'm requesting 'Class of 20xx' subforums.

The front page is in hyper-fast forward on UFC night and meaningful threads will be on page 20 three minutes after posting if you don't have a gimicky title. If it would be at all possible to get subforums for each year of signup, perhaps with the ability to enter the subforums of all subsequent years after the user's sign up as an 'alumni' that would be wonderful.

If this project would be too big, as I suspect it may, a 'pre-TUF 1 premier' subforum would be a fine substitute.

I long for the days where one could start a thread on-event night, without a crazy gimicky title, and have a good discussion with a manageable speed of replys.

You could always get a platinum account tuna man. The discussions in there are reasonably civilized and you won't lose your thread amongst a maelstrom of repetitive garbage.

maybe an easier version would be a 'vets' forum, where you need 5 to 7 years on the board to get access. Could be a reward for the old farts that have stuck it out over the years.

but then you risk all the vets jumping ship to the vet forum to avoid whitebelts, leaving nothing but newbs like myself in the ufc forum, making it even shittier.

decisions, decisions

Go plat if you want troll-less discussion. Your idea is too much work for nothing.

maybe an easier version would be a 'vets' forum, where you need 5 to 7 years on the board to get access. Could be a reward for the old farts that have stuck it out over the years.

but then you risk all the vets jumping ship to the vet forum to avoid whitebelts, leaving nothing but newbs like myself in the ufc forum, making it even shittier.

decisions, decisions

Some of the worst posters on this site are 5 year vets.

You could always get a platinum account tuna man. The discussions in there are reasonably civilized and you won't lose your thread amongst a maelstrom of repetitive garbage.

Go plat if you want troll-less discussion. Your idea is too much work for nothing.

We only troll lightly in greenville.
Having been one of the first Platinum members to sign up once they rolled out the concept, I have some idea about the Platinum subforum is about (or what it was about six or seven years ago). The trouble is I don't come to the site enough to justify an renewing my Platinum account. If the suggested forum(s) were to be created I, and a number of other worthwhile posters, would undoubtedly spend more time here and perhaps some of us would join you in 'Greenville.'

decisions, decisions
I was thinking of something a little more self deprecating, like the 'retirement home', 'senior citizens', or 'assisted living.' I wouldn't want to give the impression that newer users are of lower quality, because I'm sure many of the best users signed up post-TUF.

Some of the worst posters on this site are 5 year vets.
I'm sure that's the case now, but if there were a place where the OGs could go to avoid the crowds you may see big changes to your sample.

There are like 5 users left from that era.
Which is to be expected given the current setup. That would gradually changes if there were a place for the 'senior citizens' to go and avoid the crowds.

Last edited:
Ummm no...

There could be people who have watched MMA for years before you but joined the site a week ago

Also on fight nights the same thread gets made 20 times in a row and most people think their opinion or question deserves it own thread, when they could easily just post it in one of the already made threads

Ummm no...

There could be people who have watched MMA for years before you but joined the site a week ago

Also on fight nights the same thread gets made 20 times in a row and most people think their opinion or question deserves it own thread, when they could easily just post it in one of the already made threads

he wasn't suggesting that older dates are intellectually superior, nor did I sense an elitist air about it, if anything the posts were self deprecating. He is pointing to the pace of the forum, which has obviously changed over the years, becoming more and more fast paced, alienating and driving away the 'old school' sherdoggers of yore.

Ummm no...

I couldn't have crafted words to better illustrate my point than you just did. Your response means one of two things.

Most likely
1. You didn't read the whole thread.

Had you read the whole thread you would have seen this:
I wouldn't want to give the impression that newer users are of lower quality, because I'm sure many of the best users signed up post-TUF.
And drawn the conclusion that I wasn't elevating the status of long-time users over newer users. This practice of not reading threads was probably spawned by the hyper-fast speed that this forum now operates.

Or...
2. You did read my statement and didn't come to that conclusion.

Don't need much analysis here, but suffice it to say that a lack of reasoning ability, in any poster, will lead to unfavorable opinions.

Fine. So you post in the Anderson Silva / Chael Sonnen discussion thread. 5 minutes in it's 500 posts long. People don't generally have discussion, they say what's on their mind, perhaps check if they were quoted anywhere, and then go say what's on their mind in a different thread. I'm not criticizing this behavior, what else can you do? The point is if there were a place with a limited number of users then meaningful discussion could take place.

Again...

I'm not saying older users are better.
I'm not saying older have watched MMA longer.

I AM saying that the current setup leads people to do what you just did. Not read the thread, just say what's on your mind.

My bad I was up all night and read it on a phone. But I did read the thread.

I guess going plat is really the only way to avoid all that.

Plat forum is exactly what you want, Big Tuna.
I recommend that you spend the $10 some time on a fight night, see how you like it, and then decide if you want to renew. If that plan is cost prohibitive, you probably should seek out another website with less traffic.

There is zero chance that the admins will make 10-14 new subforums and restrict them by join date, and even if they did, you'd be having some very lonely conversations.

My '01-'03 and '05 accounts were banned, so I can't really get behind this idea; I don't want to miss anything.

My '01-'03 and '05 accounts were banned, so I can't really get behind this idea; I don't want to miss anything.

But your '04 account seems to still be working just fine.... :wink:

(Also, I wouldn't have expected to see many Joanna Newsom quotes around here. Cool.)

WTF, how did we miss your '04 account?

b7ghmd.jpg

the whole "ive been a sherdog longer" elitist mentality shit is old. "pre tuf-1", come on man. that show was over 7 years ago! the people who did come around during tuf have been involved with the sport a long, long time now.

mma is more popular than ever....obviously the mma forum will be as well.

i dont mean this to be rude, but if you dont post on sherdog enough to warrant $10 for better mma discussions, how on earth does it make any sort of sense to start new forums for people like yourself?

Back