Media Classic fight: shogun vs rampage

Peak Shogun was better than the last two UFC champions.

"Evolution"
I would pick him against Prochazka, but I think Glover would outgrapple him.

Anyway, this fight is probably the best Shogun performance, he won striking he took rampage down, it was a masterclass

Peak Shogun was better than the last two UFC champions.

"Evolution"
You do realize the last two LHW champions are either older or the same age as Shogun, right?
An example of evolution would be Jones who absolutely dismantled Shogun.
As a whole, past fighters cannot compete with current fighters. And I'm saying this as Shogun and Rampage are my two of my favorite fighters of all time.

You do realize the last two LHW champions are either older or the same age as Shogun, right?
An example of evolution would be Jones who absolutely dismantled Shogun.
As a whole, past fighters cannot compete with current fighters. And I'm saying this as Shogun and Rampage are my two of my favorite fighters of all time.

Jones "dismantling" a Shogun after two ACL surgeries wasn't evolution it was father time.

Lmao. I really wouldn’t be confident about Jiri, Lionheart, or Glover winning the 2005 PRIDE GP.

Maybe they would destroy the Kazuhiro Nakamura kind of guys but that’s about it.
It might not seem like it but the sport has evolved so far that guys we think of as journeymen now could go back in time and beat the shoguns and rampages of the world handily. Unpopular opinion I know, but would you expect in general that top athletes or teams from 20 years ago could compete with average teams today? Maybe in some cases, but it would not be the rule at all.

Man Shogun was such a killer back then. Went through people like a buzzsaw. Rampage has a hell of a chin

I would pick him against Prochazka, but I think Glover would outgrapple him.

Anyway, this fight is probably the best Shogun performance, he won striking he took rampage down, it was a masterclass

Glover of today would have nothing for peak Shogun. Not even in grappling. Shogun handled himself against peak Arona on the ground and would handle himself against Glover.

Glover of today would have nothing for peak Shogun. Not even in grappling. Shogun handled himself against peak Arona on the ground and would handle himself against Glover.
Glover is better MMA grappler than Arona

Gotta love kicks to the head of a downed opponent.

It's all speculation but it's not absurd to assume that peak Shogun would have put on a better performance than the guy who had double ACL surgery.
Jesus, grow up, dude. Like I get it, I grew up watching all the Pride guys too. But everything evolves. Science, nutrition, training, supplements, everything gets better. Nostalgia is no excuse to be so ignorant. Every sports' modern athletes outperform the previous generation. And it'll continue on like that forever.

Jesus, grow up, dude. Like I get it, I grew up watching all the Pride guys too. But everything evolves. Science, nutrition, training, supplements, everything gets better. Nostalgia is no excuse to be so ignorant. Every sports' modern athletes outperform the previous generation. And it'll continue on like that forever.

Give me a break, clown.

Peak Jones lost to Gus who had his hands full with an even older Shogun than the one Jones fought. To think an athlete wouldn't perform better if he didn't have double ACL surgery because of "evolution" is something you hear from clueless geeks who never spent a second on the mats.

"Get a grip"

Smh

Last edited:
Give me a break, clown.

Peak Jones lost to Gus who had his hands full with an even older Shogun than the one Jones fought. To think an athlete wouldn't perform better prior if he didn't have double ACL surgery because of "evolution" is something you hear from clueless geeks who never spent a second on the mags.

"Get a grip"

Smh
No one is talking about the fucking ACL, it's irrelevant. ACL or no ACL, he'd lose. Moron, I've been competing in combat sports for 15 years now and coaching for 6. Calling me a clueless geek while you sit there on your fat, unathletic ass. Keep worshipping your dadbod midgets from days of old.

No one is talking about the fucking ACL, it's irrelevant. ACL or no ACL, he'd lose. Moron, I've been competing in combat sports for 15 years now and coaching for 6. Calling me a clueless geek while you sit there on your fat, unathletic ass. Keep worshipping your dadbod midgets from days of old.

Far from giving you more credibility, this just makes your ignorance all the more remarkable and unfortunate, while the apparent joy that you seem to take in shitting on a legend like Shogun is inexplicable and frankly sad. Boxing fans don't shit on Ali and RJJ or make fun of "dadbod midgets" like Willie Pep and Rocky Marciano. Why is it that MMA fans are so insulting about their sport's history and the people who brought it to where it is today?

Regardless, the point that @The Last King was making was that Shogun had seen better days than that night when he fought Jones, and that a younger and healthier Shogun would've given the young and healthy Jones a sterner test. That is a simple, reasonable, and frankly inarguable point. If you dispute it, then you are simply wrong. As for the question of whether a younger and healthier Shogun would've beaten Jones, if you do not even give the possibility credence, then you are a fool.

Far from giving you more credibility, this just makes your ignorance all the more remarkable and unfortunate, while the apparent joy that you seem to take in shitting on a legend like Shogun is inexplicable and frankly sad. Boxing fans don't shit on Ali and RJJ or make fun of "dadbod midgets" like Willie Pep and Rocky Marciano. Why is it that MMA fans are so insulting about their sport's history and the people who brought it to where it is today?

Regardless, the point that @The Last King was making was that Shogun had seen better days than that night when he fought Jones, and that a younger and healthier Shogun would've given the young and healthy Jones a sterner test. That is a simple, reasonable, and frankly inarguable point. If you dispute it, then you are simply wrong. As for the question of whether a younger and healthier Shogun would've beaten Jones, if you do not even give the possibility credence, then you are a fool.
I've already said Shogun is my favorite fighter of all time. I was referring to Fedor, who is the dude's profile picture.
And no. The dude was scoffing at the idea that evolution occurs in sports. Shogun would do better had he not torn his ACL?? No fucking shit. The ACL has nothing to do with the evolution of the sport. It's a strawman argument.
When you have no personal involvement in athletics yourself, it's easy to have delusional, misguided ideas like you guys.

This fight killed me watching it live, and to be honest it hurts just as much watching it now.

Rampage was a warrior back then, and one of the most exciting fighters win or lose to ever do this shit.

His personality was as big as his slams, and he entertained us in and out of the ring/cage.
There's not many as real as him, and he deserves the love despite his flaws.

WAR RAMPAGE

I was referring to Fedor, who is the dude's profile picture.

Oh, so you were only mocking the greatest fighter to ever compete in MMA? That certainly makes you look better...o_O

The dude was scoffing at the idea that evolution occurs in sports. Shogun would do better had he not torn his ACL?? No fucking shit. The ACL has nothing to do with the evolution of the sport. It's a strawman argument.

You were the one who changed the terms of the dispute. More to the point, the evolution of the sport has nothing to do with Shogun's injuries. You were the one who introduced the idea that there is no universe in which the possibility of Shogun beating Jones is anything but idiotic. And that idea is idiotic.

When you have no personal involvement in athletics yourself, it's easy to have delusional, misguided ideas like you guys.

When you participate even peripherally in an activity, it's easy to delude yourself into thinking that you've got all the answers.

Oh, so you were only mocking the greatest fighter to ever compete in MMA? That certainly makes you look better...o_O

You were the one who changed the terms of the dispute. More to the point, the evolution of the sport has nothing to do with Shogun's injuries. You were the one who introduced the idea that there is no universe in which the possibility of Shogun beating Jones is anything but idiotic. And that idea is idiotic.

When you participate even peripherally in an activity, it's easy to delude yourself into thinking that you've got all the answers.
Well you've definitely given away that you're a dadbod midget. Prove me wrong if I'm wrong. Spoiler: I'm not wrong.

Possibility? This is what you're fighting for? Obviously there's a possibility. There's a possibility that a baby could beat Jones in a fight because Jones could possibly have a heart attack. Does every obvious fact have to be blatantly stated, you petty, pedantic blowhard?

Golden Gloves boxer. D1 Wrestler. 6'4" 250 jacked and shredded. What's in your peripheral? Another slice of cake?<Moves>

Oh I bet you think Bruce Lee was a real fighter too, right??? Lmao

Back