Clinch entries?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok so i was sparring hard this week and now my head hurts. I think its time for me to work on the clinch some more and practice some different entries so i can not get hit in the head so much... I'm 5'8 so i'm generally a little under on the reach, so stuff that works on people bigger then you would be better, but any technique that works for you i would like to hear about.

What ruleset are you sparring under?

One way is just put your front hand right on the front arm just to jam it, and keep it from being used as a deterrent from closing the gap. Then step in shoulder to shoulder, and wrap up.

What ruleset are you sparring under?

One way is just put your front hand right on the front arm just to jam it, and keep it from being used as a deterrent from closing the gap. Then step in shoulder to shoulder, and wrap up.
Rules are pretty much just kickboxing, with takedowns if class is small and you have space, and knees if you're not a retard about it.

In KB unless it is MT, you cannot clinch.
Well it is a self defense school. There is clinching to. I just meant to use kickboxing as a description of kicks and punches. My school is somewhere between an mma gym and a mcdojo. So you can pretty much spar how you want, as long as its not unsafe.

-long knee is a great one I like

-clinch in when they throw looping punches. Basically step in + tie up. Don't reach, step in. Prob with reaching is you'll have a tenacity to raise your chin

-1,2 .... 1 + clinch

The 2nd jab, isn't a jab, you sell it like a jab though, and use it to pull them, and you're in the clinch. Knee as you pull, if there's no threat they won't give a shit and will fight it. After the knee, either turn them or pummel because the current position you're giving them a double collar as your arm position is on the "outside"

I use three entries.

1) a long combination the ends in a step inn knee or long overhand. That is my way into the clinch..

2) i use a long range guard to block punches from the guy. This works best if the guy is a loopy guy. Block and tie up those haymakers. Clinch time!

3) wing chun was the first style i was serious about. And i stil use some elements from chi sao. Like if both guys are trying to get into the clinch, alot of moves from sticky hands will work as a entry to the clinch .

When you enter the clinch, you have to remember that the face punching doesn’t stop. If you Frankenstein forward with both arms stretched out, chances are oppo with light you up with straight punches and uppercuts.

Feed in with one arm out, one arm up high like a shield block trying to block with your elbow. Try to feed inside of oppos guards on to the back of his head and dig your elbow into his collarbone, that’s your pivot point to pull his head down. After you controlled his head, then you can feed in your other hand.

Another method is to make him cover up, jab cross jab cross, then throw a looping hook/slap with your open palm landing around the back of of his head. When he braces, that should give you half a second to bury a long knee or feed in your other hand.

Mt clinch is difficult if you have a big height disadvantage so you might want to think about that. The taller guy can lean over you and make you carry their weight. Look for trips to unbalance then knee rather than just throwing.

Mt clinch is difficult if you have a big height disadvantage so you might want to think about that. The taller guy can lean over you and make you carry their weight. Look for trips to unbalance then knee rather than just throwing.
TS is a manlet

I made a video about this. In fighting there is an infinite possibilities into what can happen etc. So in my video, i do not give a step by step instruction (1, 2, clinch) but explain the idea behind getting in. Plus anytime I post a video with something basic, all the haters come out with "thats not advanced!"

Practice the "swim" drill.

sorry for low quality vid, had to use a cell phone for this one! lol

I made a video about this. In fighting there is an infinite possibilities into what can happen etc. So in my video, i do not give a step by step instruction (1, 2, clinch) but explain the idea behind getting in. Plus anytime I post a video with something basic, all the haters come out with "thats not advanced!"

Practice the "swim" drill.

sorry for low quality vid, had to use a cell phone for this one! lol

Thx!

One of the most reliable methods of entering into the clinch is... your opponents fear of getting hit in the face.

If your opponent has the expectation that you are not going to throw at him, that all you are going to try is run at him looking to wrap up, he will pull the trigger every time you come in range with few second thoughts, and you will likely take a lot of damage chasing him around the ring trying to get inside.

Watching muay thai competitions one might see that the majority of clinches take this form actually; one fighter presses the attack, the other reacts by going en guard and shelling up in anticipation of a blow, the first fighter simply keeps moving in and puts hands on the other guy, pushing him into the ropes and rolling elbows and knee strikes in.

To an outside casual observer it would seem like clinches are something that sorta 'just happen' naturally over the course of a fight, which i suppose in a sense is actually sorta true in an abstract way, but the animating principle at play here is it's all contingent on conditioned expectations.

This is something that Khabib Nurmagomedov for instance understands very well.

Feed in with one arm out, one arm up high like a shield block trying to block with your elbow. Try to feed inside of oppos guards on to the back of his head and dig your elbow into his collarbone, that’s your pivot point to pull his head down. After you controlled his head, then you can feed in your other hand.

You know i always kinda felt like this was one of those... 'day one' type things like, that their coach themselves learned on day one, which their coaches' coach also got showed on day one... and et cetera.

Like, the sorta memes that everyone seems to end up teaching to beginners when they think to themselves, 'shit, where do i start with teaching a rank beginner how to fight; well lets see, what was i taught as a rank beginner?'... but which you hardly ever actually see play out in comps; some sorts of things which you're practically expected to 'grow out of' even (cause hamstringing peoples development with red herring boondoggles they can waste their days on before ultimately figuring to move on to something else builds character, or something).

By which i mean in this particular case, it's not that that's not what you 'see' happening in competition, in terms of gross motor movements, but that the emphasis is on the wrong parts.
(Not singling you out either or anything by the way, just quoting to use the example)

Whether you have one hand extended, two hands extended, or even no hands extended, it's all functionally isometric in terms 'frankensteining' without the conditioned expectations.

Rory Macdonald, god bless him, tried to clinch with Wonderboy in this manner, and, well, he had a bad time.

Textbook long guard or no, the crucial concern was that he did not condition Thompson to expect serious strikes at hardly any point; hardly even gave the indication that he was intending to do anything but grimly march forward into the blender in hopes of grabbing a hold. Consequently, this presented Thompson with a simple and straightforward problem to solve, making it trivially easy for him to dance around Rory throwing shot after shot freely and without fear (He's a great kid, but sometimes he can listen too his coaches a little too much [a problem which a number of tristar fighters seem to have at times actually {besides GSP who pretty much boldly commanded his own destiny}]).

Or basically in other words; just bang, bro.

Last edited:
One of the most reliable methods of entering into the clinch is... your opponents fear of getting hit in the face.

If your opponent has the expectation that you are not going to throw at him, that all you are going to try is run at him looking to wrap up, he will pull the trigger every time you come in range with few second thoughts, and you will likely take a lot of damage chasing him around the ring trying to get inside.

This is something that Khabib Nurmagomedov for instance understands very well.

Watching muay thai competitions one might see that the majority of clinches take this form actually; one fighter presses the attack, the other reacts by going en guard and shelling up in anticipation of a blow, the first fighter simply keeps moving in and puts hands on the other guy, pushing him into the ropes and rolling elbows and knee strikes in.

To an outside casual observer it would seem like clinches are something that sorta 'just happen' naturally over the course of a fight, which i suppose in a sense is actually sorta true in an abstract way, but the animating principle at play here is it's all contingent on conditioned expectations.

You know i always kinda felt like this was one of those... 'day one' type things like, that their coach themselves learned on day one, which their coaches' coach also got showed on day one, which their coaches' coaches' coach got showed... and et cetera.

The sorta memes that everyone seems to end up teaching to beginners when they think to themselves, 'shit, where do i start with teaching a rank beginner how to fight; well lets see, what was i taught as a rank beginner?'... but which you hardly ever actually see play out in comps; some sorts of things which you're practically expected to 'grow out of' even (cause hamstringing peoples development with red herring boondoggles they can waste their days on before ultimately figuring to move on to something else builds character, or something).
By which i mean in this particular case, it's not that that's not what you 'see' happening in competition, in terms of gross motor movements, but that the emphasis is on the wrong parts.
(Not singling you out either by the way, just quoting to use the example)

Whether you have one hand extended, two hands extended, or even no hands extended, it's all functionally isometric in terms 'frankensteining' without the conditioned expectations.

Rory Macdonald, god bless him, tried to clinch with Wonderboy in this manner, and, well, he had a bad time.

Textbook long guard or no, the crucial concern was that he did not condition Thompson to expect serious strikes at hardly any point; hardly even gave the indication that he was intending to do anything but grimly march forward into the blender in hopes of grabbing a hold. Consequently, this presented Thompson with a simple and straightforward problem to solve, making it trivially easy for him to dance around Rory throwing shot after shot freely and without fear (He's a great kid, but sometimes he can listen too his coaches a little too much [a problem which a number of tristar fighters seem to have at times actually {besides GSP who pretty much boldly commanded his own destiny}]).

Or basically in other words; just bang, bro.
Thx, good point. Thankfully i've always understood the effect of keeping pressure. I guess i just gotta make sure when i spar next time that i'm not just single mindedly looking for a clinch and keeping up the brawl to an extent. That is actually really simple but important advice, thank you.

Last edited:
When you enter the clinch, you have to remember that the face punching doesn’t stop. If you Frankenstein forward with both arms stretched out, chances are oppo with light you up with straight punches and uppercuts.

Another method is to make him cover up, jab cross jab cross, then throw a looping hook/slap with your open palm landing around the back of of his head. When he braces, that should give you half a second to bury a long knee or feed in your other hand.

you hit the nail on the head lol

-Understand the distance: Clinching starts when you can connect with a hook or a straight knee. Not when you can only touch with straight punches... If you start then, your opponent has the time and space to understand the situation and retaliate.

-Understand how: As the others said, initiating the clinch is a dangerous process. You either have to do it in a way that will also protect you, or initiate it in a timing where you opponent cannot hurt you (Ideally both). I like to use the long guard personally, watching out for uppers. I like to initiate it after a piercing knee, because i know the distance is right, and his preoccupied with that strike. But it's almost at the same time... As soon as the knee has made contact, my lead hand goes for the clinch. Another good moment the others pointed out, is when he has a tight guard, usually after a pressure combo. It may be difficult since he has the inside, but you can work around it.
I also like to mix clinch entries with hand trap+elbows+pulling back. Don't know if it's allowed there but it's a nice way to mix it and keep him guessing.

-Drill it. For me the biggest problem it's that clinch entries and outies are not trained enough, if they are trained at all.
Lots of times, clinching is trained on its on, with 2 guys starting with the Thai plum position and just swimming, with the occasional trip... It's often not trained in part with the striking, or just after a basic combination.
If you add the fact that most of the times, clinching drills are done without the gloves, giving beginners a false sense on how you can control the head, and how hard is it to swim...

A simple drill is boxing with clinch work in a controlled area

People spar kickboxing rules all the time, long range and medium range, clinch work tends to be treated as a separate activity. If you rope off a a half ring or quarter ring and have just boxing and clinch, it bridges the two together. It also encourage you to close distance and clinch when you’re under fire on the ropes rather than back away or stay static.

People spar kickboxing rules all the time, long range and medium range, clinch work tends to be treated as a separate activity.
Haha yeah, most people i'm sparring with wanna play the long/mid range game. Then when i try to grab them, some of them look almost insulted.
<{Heymansnicker}>

Use the Valentina Shevchenko method; bait the opponent into closing the range for you then grab the clinch on him.
Or just do a spinning back elbow into the clinch. Lots of ideas for clinch entries in this fight.

Haha yeah, most people i'm sparring with wanna play the long/mid range game. Then when i try to grab them, some of them look almost insulted.
<{Heymansnicker}>
Naw its just most people don't like filthy manlets touching them, it might be contagious.

Back