CNS warm up / priming

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Few questions on clarity.

Can this be done in a few minutes or is it a progressive 20-30 min entry?
Does it have to be heavy weight or is it just any type of elevated stress on body (uncomfortable stretching) ?
How many days is a good idea to back off / rest after pushing it to almost limits?

Edit: Obviously have been misinterpreting that term. Google search is naming a bunch of light aerobic work to get it going. Jump rope, box jumps, burpees. These are not things have done to get ready for DLs, yoke or bag carries, squats , etc

Last edited:
You can prime your CNS in a couple different ways.

You can do partials or static holds with weight you cannot do for complete reps such as walking out with 125-150% of 1RM before a heavy 1RM squat set.

Another way to prime your body/CNS is to stress a different athletic quality such as balance by using a wobble board to do squats or push ups or doing unilateral exercises.

You could also try doing plyometrics before heavy sets or vice versa. I always had better luck with plyos after heavy barbell sets.

I remember the highest I ever jumped was after my deadlift PR. I could never replicate that vert ever again at any point since. Just ran up and dunked a basketball on a hoop with 2 hands. Don't know if it was regulation but I could never replicate it after that time on the same hoop or any other.

I’m curious, what is meant by warming up your CNS? Is this something that wouldn’t be accomplished by a normal warm up? Even with relatively complex movements like Olympic lifting, I always see those guys/chicks simply warming up normally by ramping up the weights.

Last edited:

You can do partials or static holds with weight you cannot do for complete reps such as walking out with 125-150% of 1RM before a heavy 1RM squat set.

I’m curious, what is meant by warming up your CNS? Is this something that wouldn’t be accomplished by a normal warm up? Even with relatively complex movements like Olympic lifting, I always see those guys/chicks simply warming up normally by ramping up the weights.

this is the misconception I had. Thought CNS warm ups were inducing some heavy stress outside of basic movements. Push up / burpee / jump rope will get a sweat going but didn't think that was how you prep for 2x body weight on your back.
The Oly lifters seem to take an hour to warm up, add a small plate , do 2 reps and stretch, repeat x 15 .

I lift a sandbag before driving to jiu jitsu and then ragdoll everyone there. Can't be a coincidence.
This is more inline with thought process. Heavy squats move better after throwing some bags around, more so than 100 BW reps or box jumping.

Negative. Too harsh of stims actually detract from performance, at least in my experience.

Varies quite a bit in my experience, but it's not something I've made a habit of. The dose has a lot to do with it as well. You ever mess around with those nicotine mints that are all the rage?

Varies quite a bit in my experience, but it's not something I've made a habit of. The dose has a lot to do with it as well. You ever mess around with those nicotine mints that are all the rage?
No. The worst thing I've taken is called Edge of Insanity. Elevates heart rate and respiration without any kind of physical exertion. Palpitations while doing basic things. Made me curl into a ball during jiu jitsu.

Jumping.....med ball throws.....even sprinting before upper body days can prime the CNS

Low intensity plyometrics like pogo hops in different directions are useful as well

I use Original Strength for warm-up. It does a great job of letting my brain feel ALL the muscles, even the little ones, and not let any sit out of the movement.

To get my CNS going I'll slap my various body parts to continue that kinesthetic awareness, I'll practice flexing isometrically and relaxing, I'll do a couple of movements to challenge stability, and then I'll finish by practising breathing and bracing.

Another way to prime your body/CNS is to stress a different athletic quality such as balance by using a wobble board to do squats or push ups or doing unilateral exercises.

You could also try doing plyometrics before heavy sets or vice versa. I always had better luck with plyos after heavy barbell sets.

I remember the highest I ever jumped was after my deadlift PR. I could never replicate that vert ever again at any point since. Just ran up and dunked a basketball on a hoop with 2 hands. Don't know if it was regulation but I could never replicate it after that time on the same hoop or any other.

Did you ever train like this regularly? I've been reading about Contrast Training and I just started experimenting with it in my regular work sets, but don't know what to think of it yet. According to Bret Contreras some people are responders to it and some people get nothing out of it, with few in the middle. It sounds like you were a major responder.

Did you ever train like this regularly? I've been reading about Contrast Training and I just started experimenting with it in my regular work sets, but don't know what to think of it yet. According to Bret Contreras some people are responders to it and some people get nothing out of it, with few in the middle. It sounds like you were a major responder.

I used the concept for a time. It's somewhat tough on the CNS so I wouldn't do it for too long. This may be a decent training block idea for a few weeks.

Back