Coach Lopez slams Ngannou: Francis didn't stick to the gameplan

I'm pretty sure his gameplan was avoid the takedown and land a knockout punch. It looked to me like he tried to do that...

I think you're spreading a little fake news there pal, Francis said he didn't talk to Ngannou about the fight yet, not that they haven't spoken at all.

Contrary to popular belief, it is true that Ngannou does NOT typically bumrush his opponents like a bat out of hell. That's what the coach is referring to.

"Slam" needs to be retired. Like now.

Francis let adrenaline dump and dreams of sugarplums fuck him over. It takes experience and yes, even a loss or three to learn that lesson.

Last edited:
He didn't "slam" him at all.

Stipe slammed the shit out of Francis....now his coach? Poor guy

Contrary to popular belief, it is true that Ngannou does NOT typically bumrush his opponents like a bat out of hell. That's what the coach is referring to.

That sequence that Buffer filmed looked fucking terrifying though.

“You were supposed to knock him out in the first! Why didn’t you stick to the game plan?!”

I think you're spreading a little fake news there pal, Francis said he didn't talk to Ngannou about the fight yet, not that they haven't spoken at all.
"FRANCIS said he didn't talk to NGANNOU about the fight yet, not that they haven't spoken at all."

giphy.gif

He didn’t slam him at all. An honest critique is not a slam. I very much doubt Ngannou takes offense to this.

Just a lil deviation from the gameplan is all, nothing he won't be able to fix next year with better cardio and groundgame.

Ngannou probably doesn't realize how much coaches cost and thinks he should take a cut of 500k-0.

This. People didn't watch Francis fight until the Overeem fight though, so they are only experts based on the Miocic fight.

How could he keep his range when Stipe was the better counter striker?

Francis let the pressure get to him... let all the hype from Dana...the media week get to him.

I'm sure he felted pressured to get the KO and he went looking for it. Swinging away.

When you have the Power that Francis has... you can allow the KO to come to you. If he followed his coach's gameplan.. he would have probably got the KO or TKO.

It's all good though....tough lesson learned. Just got to go back out there... be focused on the next fight. Like REALLY focused, cause those are the fights that can dictate where the rest of your career is headed. Can't get caught slipping again.

I'm pretty sure his gameplan was avoid the takedown and land a knockout punch. It looked to me like he tried to do that...
Rushing in like he was did not look like someone who was trying to defend take downs. Reminded me of Rumble in his first fight with DC after he landed that one shot that sent DC flying where he would have done better if he came in with the same approach he said when he fought Phil Davis.

Read the article. Misleading OP. They're not on bad terms. Lopez didn't belittle him.

Back