COBRA KAI - Karate Kid TV Sequel (Season One)

If you have seen the entire season one of COBRA KAI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stoked. I freaking love the premise. These guys are my age, so essentially they're just telling the next chapter in their own lives as it occurs in my own.

You have got to be DEAD inside if you’re over 40 and you’re not interested to see how this story pans out.

FWIW, I think Zabka will be a quality anti-hero, and Macchio will be the irritating ass-clown he’s always been.

You have got to be DEAD inside if you’re over 40 and you’re not interested to see how this story pans out.

FWIW, I think Zabka will be a quality anti-hero, and Macchio will be the irritating ass-clown he’s always been.

I think at this point, most of us want Johhny to win:)

Cobra Kai never die!:D

Last edited:
STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY!

That’s the shit I teach my kids, not teaching them how to clean cars.

If they don’t get Lyoto to cameo, theyve missed an opportunity.

So what about countries without YouTube red?

First reviews are in.

Entertainment Weekly said:
The result is an entertaining dramedy that mixes nostalgia and teen angst with an interesting meditation on the ever-shifting definition of masculinity.

Grade: B+

JoBlo said:
I’ve only gotten to see the first two episodes, but taken together they perfectly set up what should be a fun season. The tone is well-established, with this not exactly a drama, but not exactly the comedy the trailers seemed to set up either. It’s funny, but in a more character-based, realistic way - not unlike the movies themselves. As a legit fan of the original trilogy (I actually think PART 2 is the best), I think “Cobra Kai”’s terrific, and I hope audiences embrace it.

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see some positive stuff coming out about the series. Also glad to hear it's "meditating" on the shifting definition of masculinity, as opposed to preaching about it.

Imagine if one of your favorite childhood movies got a five-hour sequel that was everything you could’ve ever wanted and more. Well, if you love The Karate Kid, now you don’t have to imagine it. It’s here and it’s called Cobra Kai.

Coming exclusively to YouTube Red on May 2, the 10-episode series tells a story in the world of The Karate Kid set decades after the films. Yes, all the original films are canon here (even the fourth one, The Next Karate Kid, which starred a young Hilary Swank), but the story is mainly concerned with the first two. This is the story of what’s happening to Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) in 2018, and the circumstances that bring the former rivals back to each other’s throats. Mainly, it’s Johnny’s decision to restart the one thing Daniel hates more than anything: Cobra Kai.

[ ● ● ● ]

There’s humor, but no more or less than the original films. Instead, Cobra Kai is a show that totally gets what madeThe Karate Kid so special. It’s as much a continuation of the Karate Kid story as it is an homage to its legacy, and that works, in large part, because Cobra Kai perfectly mimics the tone of the original films. The original Karate Kid films have a touching earnestness to them, but also a weird, ‘80s edge, especially when viewed back through history. Cobra Kaibeautifully blends those together with its new spin on The Karate Kid story. It’s very aware of itself and delivers just the right amount of winks and nods to the first movie and its sequels, but without distracting from the new story it’s telling.

[ ● ● ● ]

Reprising their original characters, Zabka and Macchio both start off coasting on the leftover charisma of their 20-year-old selves, so there are moments where each gives an occasionally cringe-worthy line delivery or reaction. However, as the show goes on, both actors, Zabka in particular, get increasingly comfortable in their older, wiser skins. By the last few episodes, they’re turning in amazing performances as Johnny and Daniel’s older, wiser incarnations.

Pretty interesting, although this is the part that worries me the most...

On the other hand, I honestly have no idea how a non-fan will react to this. The show is such a love letter to the movies that, while it works on a basic level, I’m not sure it would hold the same appeal for people coming into cold. Without that nostalgic touchstone to build upon, maybe the kids aren’t as interesting. Maybe the melodrama is a bit too much. Maybe Zabka and Macchio aren’t as endearing as they come off. I honestly don’t know, because I love the series too much. Nor do I know if any of that matters on a show that lives on a YouTube subscription service.

If the "people coming in cold" don't take to it, the prospect for more seasons won't be good.

These trailers have me cheering pretty hard for Johnny Lawrence going into this thing.

Capture.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back