Collar Sleeve - Dealing with the Rafa Leg Drag

JagRoss

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just wanted to get people's thoughts on dealing with the Rafa Leg Drag from collar sleeve. See ~16 mins here:

So far I have a couple thoughts:

1. Trying to stand up (opponent is lazy with butterfly hook or pants grip).
2. Trying to get a butterfly hook on the top leg (esp if he breaks sleeve grip by stomping on the bicep). Stops the leg drag because you can drag to 50/50.
3. Stepping on the top hip with the top leg (again if he breaks the sleeve grip by stepping on the bicep).
3. Taking the SLX foot off the hip (basically defense to the footlock).

I use this pass sometimes.

#1 doesn't work on somebody who uses this pass. They are too used to it. It only works on somebody just learning the pass. Most likely not having a strong butterfly hook.

I've seen Rafa defend this is twice, against AOJ BB Nick Bohli.

The first time, Rafa did something similar to your #2. He grabbed the top leg, moved back, got a butterfly hook on that leg, then rolled to the other hip. He came up to a leg drag finish.

The second time, was similar to your #3. Rafa got a cross grip on the SLX foot. It was basically a stalemate until Nick tried to stiff arm with the right arm, at which point Rafa got a sweet inverted armbar.

This pass is not magic in my opinion. It basically counts on your being more comfortable with Berimbolo style attacks than your partner. Basically taking your partner into your world. My opinion.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on dealing with the Rafa Leg Drag from collar sleeve. See ~16 mins here:

2. Trying to get a butterfly hook on the top leg (esp if he breaks sleeve grip by stomping on the bicep). Stops the leg drag because you can drag to 50/50.
3. Stepping on the top hip with the top leg (again if he breaks the sleeve grip by stepping on the bicep).

The key to his Leg Drag is retracting the left leg so i'd focus on that personally.

When he is controlling your pant leg and you're on the mat its arguably time to give up the collar grip from your Collar & Sleeve i feel as your priorities have to change now. Without that right leg free you can't really attack Triangles, Omoplatas or most of the common sweeps anyway and if you control the foot on your hip and prevent him retracting it he can't come up either.

Now you're in a stalemate you can either look to get angled to your left hip, retract your left leg and come up in to what probably becomes SLX for him or week side 50/50 quicker than he can boot off your sleeve grip or fight the leg pummel battle on the left side to snag a footlock if he makes a mistake or force him to bail back to a position you can re-establish Collar & Sleeve from.

I use this pass sometimes.

#1 doesn't work on somebody who uses this pass. They are too used to it. It only works on somebody just learning the pass. Most likely not having a strong butterfly hook.

I've seen Rafa defend this is twice, against AOJ BB Nick Bohli.

The first time, Rafa did something similar to your #2. He grabbed the top leg, moved back, got a butterfly hook on that leg, then rolled to the other hip. He came up to a leg drag finish.

The second time, was similar to your #3. Rafa got a cross grip on the SLX foot. It was basically a stalemate until Nick tried to stiff arm with the right arm, at which point Rafa got a sweet inverted armbar.

This pass is not magic in my opinion. It basically counts on your being more comfortable with Berimbolo style attacks than your partner. Basically taking your partner into your world. My opinion.

Yeah you're basically in the footlock position. It's something I need to study because I haven't gotten too into the whole berimbolo/footlock scene.

Back