Combat Wrestling

If I am not mistaken nowadays Combat Wrestling is ran by someone who has a background in Sambo. So, that is why you see a lot of Sambo guys competing in Combat Wrestling these days.

If I am not mistaken nowadays Combat Wrestling is ran by someone who has a background in Sambo. So, that is why you see a lot of Sambo guys competing in Combat Wrestling these days.
Combat Wrestling has always been attractive to Sambo players😁
If you check who the top champions were in Japan, you will find out they come from Sambo and Wrestling gyms (SK Absolute and Kiguchi Dojo, to he specific).

I know, because I use to train with them.

Not only that, but also, originally the rule set was called Combat Judo, and there are video tutorials on YouTube, where mr. Kiguchi himself explains the rule set of ... Combat Judo.

Yeah, he's a regular Sherdog poster. He created a pretty popular piece of workout equipment, the Bulgarian bag. I've seen Naoya Inoue among others using it. I actually bought one myself.

Yeah, he's a regular Sherdog poster. He created a pretty popular piece of workout equipment, the Bulgarian bag. I've seen Naoya Inoue among others using it. I actually bought one myself.
That's wildly inaccurate 😁

The Bulgarian Bag is created by Suples Ltd owner Ivan Ivanov.

Yep. Who posts on Sherdog and runs Combat Wrestling. EDIT: Nevermind, I got Ivaylo Ivanov and Ivan Ivanov confused. I wouldn't call it wildly inaccurate because the names are pretty frigging close.

Last edited:
Combat Wrestling has always been attractive to Sambo players😁
If you check who the top champions were in Japan, you will find out they come from Sambo and Wrestling gyms (SK Absolute and Kiguchi Dojo, to he specific).
There were definitely other gyms that did well at Combat Wrestling; Satoru Kitaoka, Masakazu Imanari, Katsuya Toida and the late, great Takefumi Hanai all had awesome Combat Wrestling runs. And of course, Rumina Sato won it least three times and was runner-up at least five times. I'm not saying SK didn't do awesome or trying to downplay them. But there were definitely guys from other gyms that had great runs. Miyake, the Greco-Roman Olympian, had a great run too, made it to the finals a bunch and one at least once.

Dude, somehow, I didn't realize that you were the one posting this. I responded to the post as if you didn't know who you were. I don't know man, I didn't see the name attached to the post somehow...? Well, I guess it just makes the whole thing a little more comical then. This whole time, I thought I was using your product, helping out a fellow Sherdogger.

I must have been really, really tired. I actually argued with you about you being you. Well, at least its a Sherdog first, probably.

Dude, somehow, I didn't realize that you were the one posting this. I responded to the post as if you didn't know who you were. I don't know man, I didn't see the name attached to the post somehow...? Well, I guess it just makes the whole thing a little more comical then. This whole time, I thought I was using your product, helping out a fellow Sherdogger.

I must have been really, really tired. I actually argued with you about you being you. Well, at least its a Sherdog first, probably.
LOL!
Thank you for the intentions.

I do know the owner personally, and have helped him with market development in a few countries (Japan, Korea, Mexico) but we are 2 different people...

There were definitely other gyms that did well at Combat Wrestling; Satoru Kitaoka, Masakazu Imanari, Katsuya Toida and the late, great Takefumi Hanai all had awesome Combat Wrestling runs. And of course, Rumina Sato won it least three times and was runner-up at least five times. I'm not saying SK didn't do awesome or trying to downplay them. But there were definitely guys from other gyms that had great runs. Miyake, the Greco-Roman Olympian, had a great run too, made it to the finals a bunch and one at least once.
Most decorated national champ of Japan (9 times) is from SK Absolute, and so are half of the Japanese Combat Wrestling Hall of Famers.

The other half is mainly from Kiguchi Dojo (Rumina Sato) and then you have a few names from the surrounding circles.

Imanari was training with Aoki, Gono and Hasegawa in SK Absolute at the time.

Most decorated national champ of Japan (9 times) is from SK Absolute, and so are half of the Japanese Combat Wrestling Hall of Famers.

The other half is mainly from Kiguchi Dojo (Rumina Sato) and then you have a few names from the surrounding circles.

Imanari was training with Aoki, Gono and Hasegawa in SK Absolute at the time.
Did not know that about Imanari. When you talk about the most decorated national champ, are you talking about Izuru Takeuchi? He definitely won a bunch. I'd be interested to see who was in the Hall of Fame. Is it posted somewhere online?

LOL!
Thank you for the intentions.

I do know the owner personally, and have helped him with market development in a few countries (Japan, Korea, Mexico) but we are 2 different people...
Well, you did a good job marketing bro, when you got Naoya Inoue using it. At least I didn't do a Sherdog post talking about how awesome your invention was...I was totally about too, actually...hahaha...

Did not know that about Imanari. When you talk about the most decorated national champ, are you talking about Izuru Takeuchi? He definitely won a bunch. I'd be interested to see who was in the Hall of Fame. Is it posted somewhere online?
Yes, Izuru Takeuchi.
He was my teammate.
The whole crew had a solid Judo/Sambo/Jiujitsu/Wrestling background and thats shows on their CVs (Pancrase, Combat Wrestling champs, PRIDE vets)

There was a japanese website, that was managed by Kiguchi's staff and had all the champs data and etc.
In Japanese though.

Not sure if its still active

Last edited:
Yes, Izuru Takeuchi.
He was my teammate.
The whole crew had a solid Judo/Sambo/Jiujitsu/Wrestling background and thats shows on their CVs (Pancrase, Combat Wrestling champs, PRIDE vets)

There was a japanese website, that was managed by Kiguchi's staff and had all the champs data and etc.
In Japanese though.

Not sure if its still active
Takeuchi was a beast in Combat Wrestling. That one heavyweight, the guy who wore glasses and looked really studious, who coached at Kiguchi Dojo, I really enjoyed watching him. Takeuchi was the first guy I saw beat him in Combat Wrestling, in the heavyweight finals, it seemed like a passing of the torch. You know the guy I'm talking about? I used to know all those guys names but my fandom is slacking now.

Takeuchi was a beast in Combat Wrestling. That one heavyweight, the guy who wore glasses and looked really studious, who coached at Kiguchi Dojo, I really enjoyed watching him. Takeuchi was the first guy I saw beat him in Combat Wrestling, in the heavyweight finals, it seemed like a passing of the torch. You know the guy I'm talking about? I used to know all those guys names but my fandom is slacking now.
Izuru wears glasses 😁

Izuru wears glasses 😁
This is a different guy though...in the documentary about Kiyoshi Tamura training at Kiguchi Dojo and having his RINGs debut, you can see him at Kiguchi Dojo in the background. I definitely know who Takeuchi is, I've watched him in Combat Wrestling, in MMA and in Contenders. He was very good at dynamic leglock entries. Won at least two Combat Wrestling national titles that I know of. Looked very studious, almost like a professor.

He won 9 national titles in Combat Wrestling, besides his success in anything else he competed in.

I don't know who you are talking about- I know those guys from my daily life in Japan, and have no idea in what videos they appear in the English speaking part of the world.

My son is 25 this year, grew up in Tokyo, and now moved to Bulgaria. Its an absolute trip to see the difference of internet feed we both have, living in the same house (he speaks Japanese).

He won 9 national titles in Combat Wrestling, besides his success in anything else he competed in.

I don't know who you are talking about- I know those guys from my daily life in Japan, and have no idea in what videos they appear in the English speaking part of the world.

My son is 25 this year, grew up in Tokyo, and now moved to Bulgaria. Its an absolute trip to see the difference of internet feed we both have, living in the same house (he speaks Japanese).
I honestly think you'll know who I mean if I can find a photo of the guy. He appeared to be Kiguchi Dojo's sambo instructor or one of them. The funny thing is, you probably actually know the guy personally, while he's just a guy I've watched footage of! I just can't recall his name for the life of me...

I honestly think you'll know who I mean if I can find a photo of the guy. He appeared to be Kiguchi Dojo's sambo instructor or one of them. The funny thing is, you probably actually know the guy personally, while he's just a guy I've watched footage of! I just can't recall his name for the life of me...
Most probably 😁

Back