Come back to the Late 90's with me

Ok I know some of you will say you didn't like the movie (personally I think it was brilliant) but the fact remains that you couldn't escape this movie in 97-98. It was everywhere. And I mean....every where! This permeated every single nook and crevice of pop culture around that time

5429b59c8e78fbc4_MCDTITA_FE014_H_1_.JPG

I tried seeing Titantic a month after it came out and it was still sold out. I never did see it in the theaters. It was just chicks seing it over and over.

Ok I know some of you will say you didn't like the movie (personally I think it was brilliant) but the fact remains that you simply could NOT escape this movie in 97-98. It was everywhere. And I mean....every where! This permeated every single nook and crevice of pop culture around that time. There were villagers in Africa who were talking about Titanic in the late 90's

I remember everything about the first time I saw this movie. Who I was with, where we sat, what I was wearing, how long I sobbed. It was probably my first “experience” at a movie, instead of just going to see a movie.

Ok I know some of you will say you didn't like the movie (personally I think it was a masterpiece) but the fact remains that you simply could NOT escape this movie in 97-98. It was probably THE single biggest cultural phenomenon I've ever seen in all my years. It was everywhere. And I mean....every where! This permeated every single nook and crevice of pop culture around that time (in what was basically a pre-internet age). There were villagers in Africa who were talking about Titanic in the late 90's

I like Titanic man.... if anybody thinks thats gay well fuck you!

It really was not a great time for mainstream cinema I'd say, endless bland CGI fests for blockbusters before the Matrix and then Lord of the Rings brought the new tech under control for something decent.

Good time for music though when Grunge and Britpop died out and some more interesting stuff got a bit more limelight...

Yes, there was some very corny 'big' films out at that time, like the godawful Titanic movie and that Celine Dion song everywhere.
Loved Massive Attack and that dark, melancholy sound. So many great albums from that time, like The miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I love this duet with D'Angelo.

Edit - hahaha, just saw Titanic ref already posted - no wonder, it was inescapable back then.

I remember everything about the first time I saw this movie. Who I was with, where we sat, what I was wearing, how long I sobbed. It was probably my first “experience” at a movie, instead of just going to see a movie.

Oh dude, I was dragged to this movie by my then girlfriend and I kid you not, we fucking fell in LOVE watching that movie together that night. Still to this day it was THE most impactful movie theater experience of my entire life. It was magic. And this is coming from a skatepunk who would NEVER get into this kind of stuff usually. Titanic was insane.

Last edited:
99 was a great year.
Went to London, Amsterdam, and Munich (Oktoberfest) on an epic vacay with 3 friends.

Prince would've been proud.

'97 was a real transition year in many ways from the mid 90s. Thats really the year alternative music started tanking and numetal got very big...Korn, Limp Bizkit...pop punk bands were getting big like Blink 182 and boy bands became cool again. Teen movies were fucking huge at the time(American Pie, 10 things I hate about you) and popular culture was a lot more light hearted as opposed to the grunge and gangstar rap in the previous years.

I'd also thats probably when the official death of Arcades happened with home consoles becoming powerful enough to render Arcades useless. FPS online gaming was really becoming exciting especially with some broadband connections being rolled out to homes(Half Life, Quake 3 Aren, Unreal Tournament).

MMA died in the U.S. and I stopped paying attention to it in favor on pro wrestling becoming huge again(even guys like Ken Shamrock jumped ship). Across the ocean in Japan a rival mma organization was starting up unknown to all of us.

I'd say late 90s felt like the last time America was actually like it was in the previous years and to some degree the world before the internet. 9/11 happened not long after and the internet kind of took over everything. Back in the late 90s you couldn't be a complete fucking idiot to get online. There was effort to it unlike today where someone in the ghetto could be driving a car has broadband speeds on their iPhone.

Oh and I almost forgot. Back then you actually had to wait in line to get concert tickets. And when you got to the concert no cell phones. Concerts were way more cool back then....it was the last years were everyone had to be in the moment. Concerts today are very tame in comparison partly because there are too many distractions.

Haha beat you to it. It really was inescapable back then. Still the best theater experience I've ever had to this day, and I even still love that Celine Dion song. And this is coming from a straight dude. There was just something about that movie at that time man. Idk how to explain it. It doesn't hold up as well when you see it today. But back then there wasn't anything like it. It was crazy.
You did, lol. well, it sounds very intense the way you described it. I went with by BF at the time and hated everything about that movie, and he loved it, so it was a bit weird. I won't diss it in detail since it means so much to you. Suffice to say i went out of my way to avoid any movies that featured Leonardo or Kate Winslet for a good 10 years after.

You must have been very much in love if you loved and still love that celine dion song. For me, even just one note of that song, or that other big saccharine blog buster song I will always love you by Whitney Houston is the equivalent of having an acute root canal. But yeah, Titanic, the hype for that movie was UNREAL. The merchandise...

1997, Life After Death

R.I.P. Biggie

Good morning, good evening and goodnight!
Remember this one? The movie that not only proved Jim Carrey was not 'just a comedian' but a great actor and also spawned a new psychiatric diagnosis, Truman syndrome, where people believe they are living in a fake world and everybody around them are actors.

Thanks for the spoiler warning. Some of us living in shitholes are only just beginning to get into eighties pop culture. Anyway, how cool are leg bandanas?

Omg. Princess Diana fever! It's all coming back to me now. It was my first real experience of public hysteria and the orchestrated exploitation of it - the Elton John song, laser-eyed Tony Blair croaking about 'the people's princess' like he owned her and so on. God it was vulgar.

Was it the dawn of the 'candles and flowers' mountains we see in the wake of every tragedy now? the beginning of turning every little thing, into a touchy-feely event.

Back