coming to NYC, where to train?

zemanjaski

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Ill be in NYC at the end of the year (or the start of next year, still ironing out the details). I am of course, looking to keep up my training, roll with different people and broaden my perspectives.

Im looking to train quite a bit (gf is encouraging me to do so, so yay, guilt free). Ill be wanting to go to:

-a BJJ academy, 3-5 times a week. Im thinking Renzo Gracie's or Marcelo Garcia's academy for the obvious reasons and benefits. Any thoughts? Any insight on what their policy is like on outsiders, or details on cost? Id be training for up to three weeks.

-a wrestling team, with an emphasis on takedowns and conditioning. I train in freestyle wrestling once a week at the moment, and love it. But I know that wrestling in the US is at another level (probably several levels higher TBH). I would be looking to train 1-2 times a week. Ideas?

-finally, I hear there is a strong sambo contingent in NYC. If true, I would love to learn some of the varied course material that Sambo utilizes over what BJJ teaches. Especially the leg locks and throws. What is available?

For what its worth, im only 23, and a white belt, 2nd degree. Ill have trained for 16 months currently, will be up to 22 months by the time I travel. I have some comp experience.

Thanks, i appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing the difference between the US and AUS in wrestling, I imagine in just a few weeks ill pick up a lot of little details.

Our forum's very own SamboSteve:

American Sambo Association | New York Combat Sambo

For BJJ, Renzo's and Marcelo's are good options in Manhattan (assuming that's where you're staying, as a tourist), along with Alliance (Fabio Clemente and Lucas Lepri) and Vitor Shaolin among others. If you venture into the boroughs there are some less pricey ones, though not as world-famous. The four that I mentioned in Manhattan are what I call the "big four" as they offer world class instructors. I'm sure everyone has some kind of drop-in fee. I know that Renzo's has people drop in all the time from around the world (including many top MMA fighters) so they're probably used to it. But it's all going to be very expensive. And no offense but you're still very much a beginner so you might not even be training under the world famous instructors, and it probably wouldn't matter that much at your level if you did.

Wrestling is tough, as it's largely a scholastic sport. It would be hard for a beginner to just hook up with a college team, because they're not going to cater to beginners (and most likely the school won't let you practice with them if you're not a student there). Same with some clubs. I mean the New York Athletic Club has Olympic wrestlers training there, but even if it wasn't invite-only (it is), you would get nothing. Aside from the clubs posted, here is one I found Home . I know my instructor used to train Greco in Brooklyn, but that might be a bit far for you. The USA does have good wrestling, but NYC (the city itself) isn't a hotbed, although the surrounding areas are. You might try and find a BJJ academy that has a wrestling/judo/takedowns class, as many of them do.

Much obliged, good food for thought! I'm particularly attracted to Renzo's, due to the number of classes and the large number of black belt teachers.

I'll look into those wrestling clubs.
Thanks for the sambo hookup, that should be really wild!

if I had a chance to go to NYC to train I would go to Marcelo's...
just because I worship the man, plus he is actually teaching the class everyday. And from talking to him at tournaments, seems like the nicest dude. Getting my ass handed by him, I would be happy to pay the money.

I went to NY last year and trained with Shaolin. He taught every class and was very welcoming. The morning class had 6-10 people in it so it wasn't a big crowd scene. It's a great location 2 blocks from Times square. Highly recommended.

There are many threads debating the merits of the various NYC academies. Renzo and Marcelo are obviously the most pedigreed gyms with the highest tier of training partners available. Shaolin has a tight group of loyal students and Alliance has been around forever and also has a tough group of guys. There are several other smaller groups around manhattan as well (Clockwork, NYJJ, Ronin, Mushin, NY Combat Sambo). Most schools should offer some sort of drop-in rate for the month.

Considering you're only in town for a short while, I'd stick with Renzo or Marcelo to get the most flexibility in your schedule and quality of training. I can personally vouch for all of John Danaher's classes @ Renzo's. They're MWF morning from 7:30-9a (no-gi) and Monday-Friday from 1-2:30p (Monday is no-gi, Tue-Fri is gi). All classes are available to 3-stripe white belts and up and include a substantial number of purple, brown, and black belts, as well as the lower ranks. John focuses half of his classes on throws and takedowns and all matches start from the feet. We have several Judo Olympians and Division I wrestlers training with us.

Thanks Jack, that sounds perfect. Ill hopefully have my third stripe by then, so that should be a great match. I don't suppose you know the drop in cost / class?

Thank you.

I'll be visiting New York next week, training at Shaolin's on Tuesday, and Marcelo's on Wednesday.

what time on tuesday you coming? i will be sure to be there

I'm going to try and hit the 11:45am class... and the 6:30/7:30 classes.

I'm not certain if I can make the Noon class or not, but will be there at night for sure.

My name is Jay, i'm a blue belt.

I train at OMG MMA in Brooklyn, definitely a place to come check out, awesome instructor and great price and meets the needs of any one trying to get into the sport or has experience. I hear of a lot of just money hungry schools that you can come back 6 months later and still be learning the same 5 moves, not like that at all in OMG MMA. The owner and head instructor Rome Za offers a free trial class and classes are 2 hours at least long so you through and check it out.
Home | O.M.G. MMA

There's a new wrestling club in NYC that meets once a week and its taught by the former Romanian national team coach and current New York Athletic Club wrestling coach. The New York Athletic Club is very well known for having top Olympic athletes training there. For more info on this wrestling club click on the link below:

Wrestling in NYC Meetup Group (New York, NY) - Meetup

I would advise a beginner to train under the best academy he can. Not because world-class training will make much of a difference on a beginner (although a good beginner curriculum will make a difference, and world-class schools are likely to have this), but because as you improve and start to require better training, it's easy to get stuck where you are at. If you choose a crap school and that's where you start and that's where your heart is at, you will get attached. Switching gyms is hard (mentally) so choose well from the beginning.

Those 4 - Marcelo, Renzo, Alliance, Shaolin - are all exceptional choices. Go see for yourself.

I have a family member trains at Renzo's. From my understanding, they are very visitor friendly, I myself am going out to live with my family member out there and train in a few years.

Back