Commercial viability of jiu jitsu

Seriously, popularity ruins EVERYTHING. I don't want it in the Olympics, and I don't want it to grow any faster then it is. Popularity will turn BJJ into a watered down shell if itself.

Screw you guys, i love watching Jiu Jitsu

Man, jiu jitsu is so boring to watch i'd rather watch jon fitch fights.

Only time i enjoy watching jiu jitsu is in the gym. That's where the bullshit is left out and guys can just roll. And some marvelous things happen in the gym.

I'd rather watch tennis than BJJ...and I don't play tennis

i'd also rather watch tennis. and i don't play it either.

I used to play tennis when I was younger, but I'd rather watch BJJ than tennis. BJJ is fun to watch when it isn't just stalling. Watching the Miyaos is terrible.

I also used to play golf, but it was unbearable to watch.

would you watch Judo?

Somehow they managed to fill up a stadium at the Paris Judo Open Slam something.

That's because:

1. Every other person in France trains in judo.
2. Judo is more highlight friendly and easier to watch than BJJ. Dynamic throws > tying up people like pretzels, at least to the layman's eyes.

Honestly, BJJ is fun as hell to do, but it's hard to watch.

I train and have competed in BJJ, but it's pretty grousome to watch. Pretty much the superfights are the only ones that really pique my interest (i.e. metamoris)

Basically the only time I can just sit down to watch a BJJ match is when it's a teammate competing.

Commercial viability is simple. Will a significant number of people who don't train/play the sport watch it? There are moms and grandmas that watch football, basketball, baseball, tennis, soccer but never actually play it.

At the Mundials, one of the biggest, most important BJJ events, are there any spectators that don't train and aren't associated with the athletes competing? If the answer is no, then the answer to commercial viability is no.

A MMA-oriented BJJ class is more "pure" than what you call a "pure BJJ school".

I both agree and disagree. It is more "pure" than what you'd find in an advanced class but not as pure as a fundamentals class.

As for commercial viability...if we could just get live streams of inside gyms. That'd be awesome! Imagine the spectacular rolls we'd see inside the Atos gym or inside Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu... fuck watching Mundials. I wanna watch that.

"A sport as boring as this cannot please the public."

Quoted from Choque p. 332, which references Gazeta de Noticias, about a match between Helio Gracie and Takeo Yano.

Back